It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mitchell has injured achilles
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:35 pm 

Mitchell is going to play. How long he lasts and how effective he is in coverage remains to be seen. Another Richard Sherman in the making?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:26 am 

Scunge wrote:
ChicagoSteel wrote:
My problem with Mitchell is that we aren't getting our money's worth. I saw online that his cap hit this year is over $8 million bucks per season. We are on the hook for the about the same next season. Can anyone confirm?

If so, wtf... :evil:

It is misleading what his cap hit is because the team restructured his contract to free up money so that they could sign other players. This is the way the Steelers do business and they do this with their core players.

Mitchell signed a 5 year $25 million contract. It came with just a $4.75 million signing bonus. He did have two roster bonuses, a $500,000 in 2014 and a $2 million in 2015.

In 2015, they took that roster bonus, and a good bit of his salary that year and they restructured it, turning it into a signing bonus. That meant that they freed up some $3.25 million which they used to sign other players.

The next season in 2016, Mitchell was to make $5 million in base but they restructured his contract and paid out $4.15 million to him in the form of a signing bonus and it reduced his base salary to $885,000. This freed up money so that they were able to get David DeCastro's deal done.

Omar Khan and the Steelers usually have low base salaries for their players upfront and then at the backend the base salary increases significantly. Where it gets kind of crazy is that those last couple years can be artificially high because of those restructures.

Yes, Mitchell is scheduled to make just $5 million in base salary for 2017 and 2018 but the pro rated portion of his original signing bonus, $950,000 and the pro rated portion of his restructured bonus, $2.2 million push his cap hit to $8.1 million. It is no different than what they have done with Lawrence Timmons, or Marcus Gilbert, or Cam Heyward, when they need money they go to their core players and restructure and they create and structure the contracts accordingly when they sign those players to begin with.

Don't hate Mike Mitchell, don't hate the player, hate the game, hate Omar Khan and the Steelers for doing their contract this way. Me? I have no problem with it, it works, we keep a lot of star players, we are in contention, a playoff caliber team, it obviously is working.

That being said, I cut Mitchell next season. They are to pay him $5 million in base next year and so that would save $5 million, they would still be on the hook for some $3 million because of the last pro rated portions of his signing bonus and restructured bonuses. His body is breaking down, can't stay healthy. He wasn't able to play much in the preseason because of injury and now he is going to miss time with this achilles. Seems like it always something with him, shoulder, groin, etc. Time to move on.

Thanks for the education Scunge. ;)

Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.

Robert F. Kennedy...50 years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:30 am 

Steelergenie wrote:
Mitchell is going to play. How long he lasts and how effective he is in coverage remains to be seen. Another Richard Sherman in the making?

Mitchell isn't 25% of Richard Sherman. Sherman was a shut down corner on the best defense of that era. He's done. I get what you are saying but Mitchell's ceiling wasn't anywhere near Sherman. So his floor is far lower.

Richard Sherman would have made one hell of a Steeler...just having the balls to say "You mad bro?" to Brady would have lionized him in Steeler lore like Lambert tossing Cliff Harris in SB X.

Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.

Robert F. Kennedy...50 years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:54 am 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:33 pm 

I meant further rupturing the Achilles like Sherman not that he plays like Sherman.

ChicagoSteel wrote:
Steelergenie wrote:

Mitchell isn't 25% of Richard Sherman. Sherman was a shut down corner on the best defense of that era. He's done. I get what you are saying but Mitchell's ceiling wasn't anywhere near Sherman. So his floor is far lower.

Richard Sherman would have made one hell of a Steeler...just having the balls to say "You mad bro?" to Brady would have lionized him in Steeler lore like Lambert tossing Cliff Harris in SB X.