It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Draft position and Off season moves
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:46 am 

alancac98 wrote:
How about drafting “football” players with brains instead of “athletic freaks” dumber than a box of rocks! That could be a good start. We have passes on guys who have become good quality players to take our athletic freaks who have no brains and play like baby shit. I saw Dupree on the ground or going to the ground on every running play to his side! He couldn’t set the edge on my father-in-law who is in a walker.

Thanks 98, just had to wipe coffee off my screen :lol: :lol: :lol: . Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:45 am 

I would not mind drafting play makers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:36 pm 

44LetzRide wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:
what spot are the steelers drafting?
will this be the year that target a top FA?
will this whole coaching staff return

I'd be shocked if Haley returns. Toss sweep against a fast, young, & aggressive defense on 4th & 1?
Draft a stud MLB to replace Shazier, and FA to get a more polished MLB that Vince. The 2nd level of the defense has many holes.
Draft or develop a successor to Bud Dupree - If the light comes on, great...I don't have much faith in him.
Find another FS - Mike Mitchell reminds me of Ryan Clark at the tail end of his career - 2 steps too slow, and still won't shut up.
Another WR might be needed if Bryant's head is not on straight. He's beaten the odds so far - having made it through a full without a drug violation. Still his ability to pick up where he left off was limited. His lashing out via social media - is that a thing of the past?
Draft/FA - RB - Steelers need a viable, durable compliment to Bell.

Good start.
I would say good-bye to Mitchell ( $5m), Gay ( $1.75), and Sensabaugh ( $1.4) = $8.15 right there.

Wilcox can't come back as a reserve, who did not get a helmet yesterday at ( $3.125 ) = $11.225 added to above.
Has the physical tools, but I do not think he has the smarts, which could make him desirable to Tomlin.

Moats ( $2.25 ) McCuellers ( 690k ) and Spence are all UFA and all off the books.

Chickillo is a RFA and do not recall him on the field much yesterday.
They probably tender him as depth and ST's

Fort and Dirty Red have to battle in camp to be a depth / ST players at best.

Golden probably returns at $1.475 just because the number of guys above that need to be replaced and the lack of vet depth / knowledge.

Wow.
Thats alot of players either not getting a helmet, sitting on a helmet, running around not making plays, to being a liability when on the field.

The money not used when declining Duprees 5th year option is a savings.
I will assume an exception on Shaziers salary.

The money available starts adding up.

That being said.
Your draft and FA is lining up to be Heavy to, all-in on defense.
I would not mind seeing 6 of 7 picks being spent on defense.
Or 5 of 7 with FA additions at ILB and S.

1. ILB/S
2. S / ILB
3. OLB / DE pass rusher
4. ILB / DE/ Pass rusher
5. S
6. DT
7. CB

I would not mind trading multiple 4th-7th rounders to move up here or there

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:48 pm 

They need a safeties, corners (Haden won't last forever), and inside linebackers bad. Next up is an outside LB/ rusher that can set the edge. I give Watt a pass. Until the end of next year. Dupree is quickly shaping up to be a bust. Heyward and Tuitt need a fire set under their asses, and butler needs to go.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:53 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
They need a safeties, corners (Haden won't last forever), and inside linebackers bad. Next up is an outside LB/ rusher that can set the edge. I give Watt a pass. Until the end of next year. Dupree is quickly shaping up to be a bust. Heyward and Tuitt need a fire set under their asses, and butler needs to go.

They have been OK at drafting ILB (Shazier, Timmons) and absolutely fucking horrific at drafting OLB. The jury is still out on Watt but holy shit have they been bat at that position. I keep waiting to see anything from Dupree. I thought that him calling out Harrison would inspire him to kick someones ass and make a play to prove himself but he was dogshit yesterday.

This team has invested a TON of high picks on Defense that have not panned out.

Mitchell and Butler should be stuck on the same fucking bus out of town today.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:54 pm 

On Offense.

DHB ( $1.2 ) gone.

Hubbard salary of ($1.8) is probably getting double and then some playing on "another team".
He'll probably see a 4 year $18-22 M offer.

Hawkins, Finney and Fieler are the three depth guys. Need another body for Depth. Maybe FA addition.

Franchise Bell.
Extend McDonald to lessen cap hit.

Cam, Tuit, DD and Pouncey have salaries that could provide cap relief.
Gilbert hinted at an extension during the offseason.

Can Ben go the Brady route and add two years to his contract for minimal.
His cap hit goes from $18 to $23 the next 2 years.
His contract runs thru 2019.
Can you add 2 years, at age 37 and 38....at $10 per.
It would be in his best interest to help him keep talent around him.....by taking less like Brady.

Trades?
Only guy two guys that may land in that maybe area.
Bell and Bryant.
Bell would have to be a sign or Tag and trade while needing a team to accept a trade and work out a LT deal with Bell.
I bring back Bell and go for another SB run.
Do not know what the PS could get back for Bell. A late 1st rounder? Second rounder?

Not sure what Bryant would bring back with his suspension history. Third rounder?
Not worth trading him. Too big of a weapon. The next staff may know what to do with him. You need 4-5 good WR's to get thru a season.

I keep both Bell and Bryant and load up on defense.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:10 pm 

DHB is a Tomlin guy. He isn't going anywhere. I posted this during training camp and I'm posting it again now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:37 pm 

Messed around with a few thing on overthecap.com. Great website for those who are looking to see where the numbers are and everything.

This is what I did with a starting projected cap of $2.69M.

1. Exempt Ryan Shazier's contract. Crucial in order to free up the $8.7 he is owed this next season. This is the first thing that needs to be done this offseason.
2. Restructure both Joe Haden ($4.5M) and Vance McDonald ($2.3M).
3. Cut Mike Mitchell ($5M), JJ Wilcox ($3.13M), William Gay ($1.75M), and Coty Sensabaugh ($1.4M).
4. Franchise tag LeVeon Bell at a projected $11.72M. This is conservative but it won't go above $14M.
5. Give the ERFA tenders to Xavier Grimble, Kameron Canaday, and Mike Hilton like they already have at $630k, $555k, and $555k respectively. Also do BJ Finney at $630k.

After these moves, the Steelers have approximately $15.87M is cap room.

From here, this could easily be a time to extend Chris Boswell, Jordan Berry, and Roosevelt Nix. All are RFAs that have done a pretty good job for the Steelers. In addition, a decision has to be made about whether the Steelers think they can convince Chris Hubbard to stay for less for a shot at a Super Bowl. Hubbard will definitely garner interest this offseason for how well he has played.

This could also be where the Steelers try add some more veterans to the roster. Guys I'd really like to see in Pittsburgh are Jeremiah Attaochu & Eric Reid. With some creative work, I think all of this could get done. Give prove it deals to Attaochu & Reid, extend Boswell for what he is worth, and then sign Berry and Nix to contracts as well.

Worth mentioning that the Steelers have $54M in cap space in 2019 minus the deals you give to the guys above, but that adds up quickly.

Just my thinking, be interested to see what y'all think.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:48 pm 

I have this “gut” feeling that they will bring back Sean Spence.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:57 pm 

And Mitchell.

Pathetic as it may be.

Standard and all...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:21 pm 

I bet Roger will fuck around forever on making a determination on an exemption for Shazier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:12 am 

FC wrote:
Drafting around 28

The Steelers are 2.5 million over the cap

Mann will retire...I expect Hines Ward replaces him. I won't be shocked to see Munchak as the new head coach of the Giants. I won't be shocked if Haley is gone.

Looks like the cards are very interested in Munch... :(
https://arizonasports.com/story/1378515 ... defilippo/

Other moves include...

Quote:
The Steelers have signed cornerback Mike Hilton to a one-year contract extension, the team announced on Tuesday afternoon. As well as Reserve/Future contracts for defensive end Lavon Hooks, linebacker Keith Kelsey and wide receivers Justin Thomas and Marcus Tucker. http://www.steelers.com/news/article-4/ ... 67912d279c

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:28 pm 

They can get under the cap if they value a quality FA. Looks like Munch turned down the ARZ GIG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:57 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
FC wrote:
Drafting around 28

The Steelers are 2.5 million over the cap

Mann will retire...I expect Hines Ward replaces him. I won't be shocked to see Munchak as the new head coach of the Giants. I won't be shocked if Haley is gone.

Looks like the cards are very interested in Munch... :(
https://arizonasports.com/story/1378515 ... defilippo/

Other moves include...

Quote:
The Steelers have signed cornerback Mike Hilton to a one-year contract extension, the team announced on Tuesday afternoon. As well as Reserve/Future contracts for defensive end Lavon Hooks, linebacker Keith Kelsey and wide receivers Justin Thomas and Marcus Tucker. http://www.steelers.com/news/article-4/ ... 67912d279c

Hell, why only 1 year? The kid played lights out all year - far better than Burns did. I would have secured him for the next 4 years, at least. Glad they extended him, but 1 years sucks! As well as he played, he deserves a longer contract and this defense needs stability in the slot. I don't want him moving on after next year and we have to settle for a scrub covering the slot. They sign guys who sucks or doesn't deserve a big contract to a multi-year big contract. But guys who perform, they dittle with - unbelievable!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:04 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
Hell, why only 1 year? The kid played lights out all year - far better than Burns did. I would have secured him for the next 4 years, at least. Glad they extended him, but 1 years sucks! As well as he played, he deserves a longer contract and this defense needs stability in the slot. I don't want him moving on after next year and we have to settle for a scrub covering the slot. They sign guys who sucks or doesn't deserve a big contract to a multi-year big contract. But guys who perform, they dittle with - unbelievable!

He was an ERFA, there's no reason to give him more money at this time. He'll be on a super cheap deal (500 or 600K), after which he'll still be an ERFA again or RFA (depending on how many years of service he's technically accrued).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:45 pm 

I watching if the Redskins release Zach Brown ( and I Don't mean the band)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:08 pm 

I like Zack Brown and Navorro Bowman too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:11 pm 

The Dolphins will probably cut Timmons. He clearly missed Pittsburgh. I wonder if he'd come back under a cap-friendly contract: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/footb ... to-be-cut/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:14 pm 

W&M_Steeler wrote:
The Dolphins will probably cut Timmons. He clearly missed Pittsburgh. I wonder if he'd come back under a cap-friendly contract: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/footb ... to-be-cut/

Yup, watched him play some in Miami and he's still better than Spence, Red, Fort, and probably Williams.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:18 pm 

DP39 wrote:
W&M_Steeler wrote:

Yup, watched him play some in Miami and he's still better than Spence, Red, Fort, and probably Williams.

He would have to be willing to come back for peanuts on the dollar and be ready to play special teams. None of this "we have a role" shit we told Harrison. Just tell him straight up that Vince Williams is starting over you and you can spell him and pick up the slack on special teams.

Of course, as I typed this I wasn't thinking about Shazier's injury.......he'd be playing a good deal at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:21 pm 

smithessmokin wrote:
DP39 wrote:
W&M_Steeler wrote:

He would have to be willing to come back for peanuts on the dollar and be ready to play special teams. None of this "we have a role" shit we told Harrison. Just tell him straight up that Vince Williams is starting over you and you can spell him and pick up the slack on special teams.

Timmons would be starting over Spence/Fort/Matakevich. I doubt even a 1st round ILB pick would be ready to start day 1.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:29 pm 

watch for Brown if the skins cut him

Last edited by steelmann58 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:18 pm 

Timmons would walk right back into a starting job.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:15 pm 

Yeah I edited my previous post before you guys saw it. Wasn't thinking about Shazier's injury.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:34 am 

KC wrote:
Timmons would walk right back into a starting job.

Larry Foote, William Gay, James Harrison and Randle El say hi.

Done deal if Tomlin is still HC.