It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: King for a Day-Who do you fire? Can only fire 1 Coach.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:45 pm 

Is Butler contract up as well as Haley's? One of the articles linked on this site said that....maybe it was DK?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:36 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
I fire Tomlin....in a fuckin' heartbeat.

This^

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:18 am 

The following apparently know winter is here and are very good at game of thrones. They all picked the Hand of the King and not the King.

Still Cajun
Poltargyst
Will the Shake
Random Steeler Fan
44letzride
FortyThree sort of-He suggested not re-signing Haley and firing Butler.
VASteelerGuy
MiterSaw
ToddHaleysNineIron

Honorable mention AirRescueFF with his response of Tombutley!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:49 am 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
The following apparently know winter is here and are very good at game of thrones. They all picked the Hand of the King and not the King.

Still Cajun
Poltargyst
Will the Shake
Random Steeler Fan
44letzride
VASteelerGuy
MiterSaw
ToddHaleysNineIron

You make a good argument in your initial post, and I get some amusement at seeing myself lumped here at having picked the “Hand of the King and not the King”. That said, a reminder: you said we could only fire 1 coach. If the rules were more generous I’d have to think about whether to keep Tomlin. I’ll tell you one thing, I wouldn’t get rid of him without a well-reasoned replacement in mind. And don’t say, anyone will do. I don’t believe that for a second. I do believe if Todd Haley is a “Hand of the King” you’re fucked. Haley’s a bum. You want to see what an truly disastrous head coach looks like, make Todd Haley your head coach. As OC of the Steelers he disgraced himself on the sidelines AND off the sidelines. This guy makes Rex Ryan look like a statesman. Falling down steps, allowing his being a cuckold to his wife to enter public awareness. I don’t care what a guy does privately, but keep it private, and don’t embarrass the franchise. These things have a way of translating to what happens on the field. Worst of all, of course, was his relationship with his QB. I can’t imagine the relief Ben is feeling at having this loser sourpuss out of his life. Ben performed brilliantly when he was allowed to do so. When he performed magic, obviously unscripted by Haley, instead of recognizing the greatness he’d been blessed with, Haley seemed to take it personally, actually pissed off on the sidelines at Ben’s success. Fragile ego Todd putting himself before the team. Small man, Todd Haley. Those two opening series a blueprint of him at his very worst in terms of play design. Tomlin drives me nuts, pisses me off left and right, but his players win a lot of games for him, and I think he’s got some intangible leadership qualities over the course of a long season that you don’t find in most NFL head coaches. With good health, and improvements in certain areas, this team still has a chance to win with Tomlin in spite of his well versed lines of b.s; ZERO chance if Todd Haley stayed on board. You know what I really wish: I wish your king for the day really did apply to me, and it was at the end of last season. Haley would have been gone. And with healthy versions of Ben, Bell, and Brown, and in spite of our defense, we’d be playing in the Super Bowl this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:31 pm 

MiterSaw posted this in another thread. I thought it was a good summation of why you don’t fire Tomlin. I knew only one major change would be made hence my post. It is the Steeler way, the way science works etc. and I agree. You have to minimize the variable changes and maximize the constants unchanging.

Miter Saw wrote:
I think one of the primary reasons Tomlin won't be canned is because ownership knows it was by their heavy hand that Haley was on the staff.

At minimum, they'll give him a shot with a full staff of his guys before the threat to fire is real.

I do like that his seat is uncomfortable.

Probably not a popular opinion, but I don't think firing Tomlin is the ideal option here. I'd much prefer that Tomlin admit (to himself) and learn from the littany of mistakes he's made. I'd much rather he rekindle that notebook geekish persona he came into the position with when he thought he had to prove something. Guess what Mike, you do have to prove yourself again...and when you do, you'll have to do it again.

If this isn't a wake up call, he'll never have one.

He has a lot to offer. Even former (non-steeler) players say they'd love to play for him. I'd rather have a reinvented Tomlin than a new hire at this point in time.

I don't know if that will happen.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:52 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:

Still Cajun
Poltargyst
Will the Shake
Random Steeler Fan
44letzride
VASteelerGuy
MiterSaw
ToddHaleysNineIron

Nice. I'm not opposed to dumping the king. I'm just claiming that the grass isn't always greener. It's pretty manure laced now, but it could be wayyy worse. Lebeau for Butler, Arians for Haley. We got our wish on both accounts and how has that worked out?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:56 pm 

Ben is healthier. We lead the league in sacks. PS aren’t completely awful at making changes.

We need some churn in the bottom ranks of the D coaches.

Remember Kirby? Exactly. Tomlin got rid of him in a trade for MN’s RB coach. It worked out well.