It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time for Tomlin to go, or for me, why Jax 2017 = NE 2004
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:13 am 

Yesterday was the final straw for me.

Mike Tomlin has worn out his welcome...he's fooled me for the last time.

His decision-making yesterday...the sub-optimization on 4th and shorts, his foolish going for the onside kick out of fear of his defense, his failure to even try and give his team one more chance by quickly kicking the FG when the team was at the 5 with 57 seconds left and the clock stopped, and to top it all off, his failure once again to rein in the "entitlement" attitude of several of his players...is to me the equivalent of Bill Cowher electing to send out the FG unit on 4th and goal from the 2 in the AFCCG.

The last point for me makes it worse because I don't see Tomlin being able to summon up the mental fortitude Bill Cowher did to both change his mindset and also challenge his team to be greater than the sum of their parts, so I don't think a "warning shot" from Art II (which I don't think is coming anyway) would be enough to shake him up. And without some change in personnel, I don't see this mental fortitude in many of the players either.

I think also what makes it worse is I don't see any "Steeler glacial pace of change". I see a stubborn refusal to learn anything. I see elements where Mike Tomlin could improve that are wholly within his control that he steadfastly refuses to do...and has refused to do for his ENTIRE career. I know press conferences are for coaches to spout bullshit, especially after losses...but I truly think Mike Tomlin believes his bullshit.

Ultimately Bill Cowher changed his ways in 2005 because he hadn't won the prize yet.

It may be that Mike Tomlin won too early in his career, and so therefore doesn't possess the same drive to keep achieving.

Maybe not...but I don't want to waste the remaining years of Ben's waning career to find out.

I'm not going to say I'll quit watching...I've been a fan since the 70s and I can't just walk away.

But I don't care if the Steelers go 16-0 next season...I'm not believing a word Mike Tomlin says anymore, and I'm not trusting a team under his command is going to win anything...until he proves it.

Post subject: Re: Time for Tomlin to go, or for me, why Jax 2017 = NE 2004
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:18 am 

Good post Jeems, I'm still in complete and utter shock that a rested team, defensive minded coach, loaded with talent scored 42 pts and the general feeling is that we got our asses handed to us, 45 pts allowed to Blake fkn Bortles and the jax jaguars. Motherf'n Wow!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:19 am 

Five-star post, Jeemie. I can't disagree with a word.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:22 am 

No arguments here. Excellent post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:24 am 

Right on point Jeems.

Glad you are seeing it for what it is. Coaches have a shelf-life in this league, and Mikey T's has expired for the Steelers.

I honestly see nothing to lose in replacing him, because when Ben retire's he wont be the right guy to rebuild this team anyway. Get a veteran coach in there for a couple of years to try to get something out of Bens twilight. This team needs a fucking disciplinarian now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:30 am 

Jeemie wrote:

His decision-making yesterday...the sub-optimization on 4th and shorts, his foolish going for the onside kick out of fear of his defense, his failure to even try and give his team one more chance by quickly kicking the FG when the team was at the 5 with 57 seconds left and the clock stopped, and to top it all off, his failure once again to rein in the "entitlement" attitude of several of his players...is to me the equivalent of Bill Cowher electing to send out the FG unit on 4th and goal from the 2 in the AFCCG.

The last point for me makes it worse because I don't see Tomlin being able to summon up the mental fortitude Bill Cowher did to both change his mindset and also challenge his team to be greater than the sum of their parts, so I don't think a "warning shot" from Art II (which I don't think is coming anyway) would be enough to shake him up. And without some change in personnel, I don't see this mental fortitude in many of the players either.

I think also what makes it worse is I don't see any "Steeler glacial pace of change". I see a stubborn refusal to learn anything. I see elements where Mike Tomlin could improve that are wholly within his control that he steadfastly refuses to do...and has refused to do for his ENTIRE career. I know press conferences are for coaches to spout bullshit, especially after losses...but I truly think Mike Tomlin believes his bullshit.

Ultimately Bill Cowher changed his ways in 2005 because he hadn't won the prize yet.

It may be that Mike Tomlin won too early in his career, and so therefore doesn't possess the same drive to keep achieving.

Maybe not...but I don't want to waste the remaining years of Ben's waning career to find out.

I'm not going to say I'll quit watching...I've been a fan since the 70s and I can't just walk away.

But I don't care if the Steelers go 16-0 next season...I'm not believing a word Mike Tomlin says anymore, and I'm not trusting a team under his command is going to win anything...until he proves it.

Right on!

That was how I felt about the Penguins a few years back. Thought we were going to watch Malkin and Crosby fade into obscurity with only them scratching their names on the cup once.
But the Pens ownership did what had to be done. They made changes, several, until they got it right.
I don't know about firing Tomlin but there must be sweeping changes to the coaching staff even if it sets us back a season.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:33 am 

fractalsteel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Right on!

That was how I felt about the Penguins a few years back. Thought we were going to watch Malkin and Crosby fade into obscurity with only them scratching their names on the cup once.
But the Pens ownership did what had to be done. They made changes, several, until they got it right.
I don't know about firing Tomlin but there must be sweeping changes to the coaching staff even if it sets us back a season.

Excellent posts by both of you!! Jeems....had planned to post something soon that will be very similar to what you've said.

But Fracta......herein lies the difference between Mario Lemieux and The Douchebag Art II. Tomlin's post is as safe as the Pope's....he's going nowhere until and unless he wants to.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:34 am 

Cool, you've come around to understanding that Tomlin is a fucking idiot.

Sweet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:34 am 

fractal steel wrote:
Right on!

Funny how the Penguins are now on a four-game win streak even as I write this.

That's the team I wish both Pirates' and Steelers' ownership would emulate. Rutherford did what needed to be done.

That's why I give them the benefit of a couple hundred doubts...even if Pens' ownership made some mistakes this year, I'm the exact opposite with them...I'll trust that they will do everything in their power to fix mistakes and keep this team challenging for Cups...until they prove they aren't doing it.

Nutting I have zero hope for...the guy doesn't even hide it that he's all about finding the profit sweet spot...only competing for a championship if it's financially expedient to do so...and keeping the team just "un-sucky enough" so he doesn't start losing money.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:46 am 

swissvale72 wrote:

Excellent posts by both of you!! Jeems....had planned to post something soon that will be very similar to what you've said.

But Fracta......herein lies the difference between Mario Lemieux and The Douchebag Art II. Tomlin's post is as safe as the Pope's....he's going nowhere until and unless he wants to.[/quote]

Yup Swiss you are right.
No way A2 pays salaries to a coach on the street and one on the field at the same time. Burkle and Mario see it differently. They like the idea of filling the rafters with championship banners. They realize the window was closing and they went out and made sure they had a chance to win and repeat.
With each season ending failure I keep hoping the Steelers brain trust wakes up and realizes that change is what is needed. Yet every year they keep to the same trail.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:09 pm 

If he does not go which I don't see happening but he need to surround himself with better coaches.
I was very tick off last year when Porter had his issues and the steelers did not make a move to Grab Kevin Greene.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:13 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

Tomlin's mantra -"We don't live in our fears"

This is contradicted on an almost weekly basis and was on full display yesterday afternoon.

HC/OC/QB - Doesn't call QB sneaks on 4th >1 twice because they're scared about possible QB injury.

DC - Doesn't attack but runs a more read & react type of D because they were concerned about the Jags running game, played Lebeau zone, large cushions & tackle the catch to keep things in front of them on 3rd down because they were scared of the deep pass but were playing a dink and dunk QB who last week couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

Coaching - Was willing to sit and release a guy in Harrison instead of giving him some playing time because they didn't want to scared to admit that Dupree is a soft pussy.
Coaching/Personnel - Too scared to find a more quality ILB in FA and brought back a guy in Spence because "he knew the system".
Coaching - Calling for a onside kick w/ 2 TO and a 2 min instead of @ least trying to line up and stop them to make them punt because you feared the D couldn't stop Jax.

He and his regime is the epitome of contradiction.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:30 pm 

Stillcajun wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

This is contradicted on an almost weekly basis and was on full display yesterday afternoon.

HC/OC/QB - Doesn't call QB sneaks on 4th >1 twice because they're scared about possible QB injury.

DC - Doesn't attack but runs a more read & react type of D because they were concerned about the Jags running game, played Lebeau zone, large cushions & tackle the catch to keep things in front of them on 3rd down because they were scared of the deep pass but were playing a dink and dunk QB who last week couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

Coaching - Was willing to sit and release a guy in Harrison instead of giving him some playing time because they didn't want to scared to admit that Dupree is a soft pussy.
Coaching/Personnel - Too scared to find a more quality ILB in FA and brought back a guy in Spence because "he knew the system".
Coaching - Calling for a onside kick w/ 2 TO and a 2 min instead of @ least trying to line up and stop them to make them punt because you feared the D couldn't stop Jax.

Great post Cajun. I've had it with Tomin. Was 13-3 due to talent on offense saving his ass over and over against shit Qbs. Defense is absolute fucking garbage yet they release Harrison.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:53 pm 

I said it in the Pens game thread last night. I think JL58 was the first to say it:

- Pens will do what it takes to win.
- Steelers will only win the Steeler way.
- Pirates will only win if it benefits Nutting's wallet.

At the moment, the best sports franchise in Pittsburgh is the Penguins. The Steelers are a very distant second. The Pirates may well as be on fucking Pluto.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:01 pm 

Tomlin came here as a defensive guy, DB coach then DC. When they were putting together the Offensive game plan did he approve the way they game planned this? Did Haley say "Hey, my plan is to throw a bunch of bubble screens against an extremely fast and aggressive defense early" Then follow up, "we're also going to try to get the edge with a not particularly fast RB against that same fast aggressive defense"

And Tomlin signed off on this...

4th and 6" and he hears Haley call "slow developing deep pitch out around the 8 hole" After a timeout. And he signs off on this?

Yeah, Captain Bullshit is a real fucking tactician...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:18 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

Good post.

I have been a Tomlin supporter 100% until last years AFCCG. To me, that was when everyone’s weekly/yearly Tomlin complaints truly manifested on the field.

Yesterday only cemented them further.

If Tomlin isn’t canned, I will still hold out hope that coordinator change can help like it did for Cowher.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:35 pm 

randomsteelerfan wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Good post.

I have been a Tomlin supporter 100% until last years AFCCG. To me, that was when everyone’s weekly/yearly Tomlin complaints truly manifested on the field.

Yesterday only cemented them further.

If Tomlin isn’t canned, I will still hold out hope that coordinator change can help like it did for Cowher.

Yesterday, just about every one of Mike Tomlin’s faults was on display for all to see.

Yeah our defense oughtn’t to have gotten pushed around like that. Not by Blake Bortles...who I know will struggle to do anything next week.

Despite that though...this game was still ours to take...but in critical spots, we got sub-optimal coaching decisions that killed us. And two really bad plays by our HoF QB.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:50 pm 

Stillcajun wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Great posts boys.

This is the biggest Steelers Post Season blunder ...........due to coaching incompetance, arrogance, stubborness and failure to adjust.

From game planning the opening two drives. Tomlin / Haley.
To not adjusting on defense to stop the run. Tomlin / Butler.

To looking ahead, weeks ago, to a NE rematch. Tomlin.
That's both disrespecting the next opponent and gearing them up. Giving them an extra edge of motivation and hate.
To giving a false sens of bravado to your players, who were also looking past the Jags.

To not getting Harrison and Bryant involved in the game plan early in the season.
Yes Bryant needed to regain his confidence, teammate trust and shake off the rust..........but right up until yesterdays game, I would not be surprised if Bryant was only 4th on number of snaps by PS WR's yesterday. Yes, Rogers had a big day, but he was working with-in 5-10 yards of scrimmage, never really running back the safeties for JuJu and the TE's underneath in the middle of the field or for that matter the running game. Any deep slant to MB could go to the house.

The Harrison situation was all ego for Tomlin.
No reason he could not have been getting 15-18-20 snaps a game in a rotation with Watt and Dupree. Did those guys really need to play 95-98-100% of defensive snaps.
Did Duprees play warrant keeping James off the field. Would Watt have learned a little more seeing James step in a play here and there each game.
Did Moats and Chickillo warrant defensive snaps over Harrision? Holly Crap thats a personnel vendetta / stubborn issue over whats best for the team.

The culmination between these two came when James ended the KC game with a sack. And as the final whistle blew, JH and Tomlin were standing side by side on the sideline with Harrison giving Tomlin an earful. Most likely about playing time and how he just ended the game. Tomlin tried to laugh it off, put his arm around James. James was not having any of the bull shit. It become personnel for Tomlin after that. Dumb.
Pride over team. Yes, posters will point to one play that James did not set the edge against the Ravens. He had 40 snaps on the season? How many plays did Dupree not set the edge? Failure to put the best team on the field was trumped by arrogance and ego.

Heard all week how the PS would need to be more balanced, run the ball better, feed Bell. Not have to rely on Ben throwing 50+ passes. The 5 picks, the Jags corners. The chatty back and forth banter between those guys and Mitchell / Bell.
So once again, a week to game plan and we chose arrogance and stubborness to show the world, show the Jags, we are gonna go right to your strengths to beat you. Go right at your secondary, that the last time we faced you was just execution problems.
The offensive game plan to come out 5 wide, empty set was just pure ASS. Arrogant, Stubborn and Stupit. ( Stupit with a T cause it even looks stupit )

This offense has so many weapons, we almost never have to go empty backfield. Almost never should have to tell and help the defense by eliminating run or pass.
And going back to the short stuff, WR screens.......was just setting this offense back to the early season woes and struggles. Not to mention testing the edges/ CB's of a team with the best CB duo in football.
A balanced formation with a nice mix of runs and passes, was what put this offense into gear in the second half of the season.

Of course since that failed. Run, Run pass would certainly be the cure-all.
This staff is less smarter than most give credit for.
The only reason we scored 42, was due to sandlot football, let it all hang out, throw deep on 4th and long.............and of course exception players making exception plays....Ben, AB, Bryant, Bell.

But when it comes down to basic situational game planning and play calling. This team is pure dumb.
When it comes down to basic situational football and play calling..........and the clock is ticking and the pressure is mounting and the down and distance is critical. The dumb meter is red lining.

The kick-off vs. on side kick was debated. The football world is killing Tomlins decision. Ok, he did it.
But his ineptitude towards game and clock management just does not end, as it did not end with the onside kick that they did not practice or prepare for............it was after the last Jag FG that his skills still shined brightly. At what point on the clock does he say, OK, lets kick the FG and make sure we still have time for another onside kick attempt, a recovery and a play or two, or three.
None of that entered his mind.
Not at :47 second after Bryant play down to the 5.
Not at :32 seconds from the 15 after the INT grounding. ( thats when you absolutely need to kick the FG. )

:32 second and maybe you have a chance to recover a kick and have :22 seconds or so for two plays and a chuck in the endzone.

Every single shot needed to be in the endzone, with no time outs left.

Yet we see a pass in the field of play with AB getting tackled ( 1. all plays need to be in the endzone, 2. If not, get out of bounds ) . Hmmm......I can't recall the last time we were in this spot and we had a pass play in the field of play and we lost 15-20 of clock. ) oh New England. We do not learn form the failures of our past.
Dumb compounded by dumb.

Spike, Kick FG. Nope.

Another pass with :10 second to Grimble.

Kick FG?
Nope.

We then see yet one more pass with :4 on the clock.
Did he really even think that in 4 second, we could get a TD, recover kick and have one hail mary?

two 4th and inches.
Was screaming for a QB sneak. We all were. The Jags defense was not ready for the first one. Quick snap.
I commented in the game thread when we came to the second 4th and inches.
Said it was time to right the earlier stupidity by going QB sneak.

I don't care who is calling that play.
If I am head coach, I yell into the head set.
Ben get up and keep it.
Go!

Mike Tomlin was comfortable in his calls yesterday. :shock:
I don't think you fix this with a change of OC.

Last edited by Stosh-67 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:50 pm 

I wonder if they go outside to replace Butler? need a defensive guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:58 pm 

KC wrote:
Cool, you've come around to understanding that Tomlin is a fucking idiot.

Sweet.

If you lead a horse to water enough times, eventually he will drink.