It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time for Tomlin to go, or for me, why Jax 2017 = NE 2004
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:13 am 

Yesterday was the final straw for me.

Mike Tomlin has worn out his welcome...he's fooled me for the last time.

His decision-making yesterday...the sub-optimization on 4th and shorts, his foolish going for the onside kick out of fear of his defense, his failure to even try and give his team one more chance by quickly kicking the FG when the team was at the 5 with 57 seconds left and the clock stopped, and to top it all off, his failure once again to rein in the "entitlement" attitude of several of his players...is to me the equivalent of Bill Cowher electing to send out the FG unit on 4th and goal from the 2 in the AFCCG.

The last point for me makes it worse because I don't see Tomlin being able to summon up the mental fortitude Bill Cowher did to both change his mindset and also challenge his team to be greater than the sum of their parts, so I don't think a "warning shot" from Art II (which I don't think is coming anyway) would be enough to shake him up. And without some change in personnel, I don't see this mental fortitude in many of the players either.

I think also what makes it worse is I don't see any "Steeler glacial pace of change". I see a stubborn refusal to learn anything. I see elements where Mike Tomlin could improve that are wholly within his control that he steadfastly refuses to do...and has refused to do for his ENTIRE career. I know press conferences are for coaches to spout bullshit, especially after losses...but I truly think Mike Tomlin believes his bullshit.

Ultimately Bill Cowher changed his ways in 2005 because he hadn't won the prize yet.

It may be that Mike Tomlin won too early in his career, and so therefore doesn't possess the same drive to keep achieving.

Maybe not...but I don't want to waste the remaining years of Ben's waning career to find out.

I'm not going to say I'll quit watching...I've been a fan since the 70s and I can't just walk away.

But I don't care if the Steelers go 16-0 next season...I'm not believing a word Mike Tomlin says anymore, and I'm not trusting a team under his command is going to win anything...until he proves it.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

Post subject: Re: Time for Tomlin to go, or for me, why Jax 2017 = NE 2004
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:18 am 

Good post Jeems, I'm still in complete and utter shock that a rested team, defensive minded coach, loaded with talent scored 42 pts and the general feeling is that we got our asses handed to us, 45 pts allowed to Blake fkn Bortles and the jax jaguars. Motherf'n Wow!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:19 am 

Five-star post, Jeemie. I can't disagree with a word.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:22 am 

No arguments here. Excellent post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:24 am 

Right on point Jeems.

Glad you are seeing it for what it is. Coaches have a shelf-life in this league, and Mikey T's has expired for the Steelers.

I honestly see nothing to lose in replacing him, because when Ben retire's he wont be the right guy to rebuild this team anyway. Get a veteran coach in there for a couple of years to try to get something out of Bens twilight. This team needs a fucking disciplinarian now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:30 am 

Jeemie wrote:

His decision-making yesterday...the sub-optimization on 4th and shorts, his foolish going for the onside kick out of fear of his defense, his failure to even try and give his team one more chance by quickly kicking the FG when the team was at the 5 with 57 seconds left and the clock stopped, and to top it all off, his failure once again to rein in the "entitlement" attitude of several of his players...is to me the equivalent of Bill Cowher electing to send out the FG unit on 4th and goal from the 2 in the AFCCG.

The last point for me makes it worse because I don't see Tomlin being able to summon up the mental fortitude Bill Cowher did to both change his mindset and also challenge his team to be greater than the sum of their parts, so I don't think a "warning shot" from Art II (which I don't think is coming anyway) would be enough to shake him up. And without some change in personnel, I don't see this mental fortitude in many of the players either.

I think also what makes it worse is I don't see any "Steeler glacial pace of change". I see a stubborn refusal to learn anything. I see elements where Mike Tomlin could improve that are wholly within his control that he steadfastly refuses to do...and has refused to do for his ENTIRE career. I know press conferences are for coaches to spout bullshit, especially after losses...but I truly think Mike Tomlin believes his bullshit.

Ultimately Bill Cowher changed his ways in 2005 because he hadn't won the prize yet.

It may be that Mike Tomlin won too early in his career, and so therefore doesn't possess the same drive to keep achieving.

Maybe not...but I don't want to waste the remaining years of Ben's waning career to find out.

I'm not going to say I'll quit watching...I've been a fan since the 70s and I can't just walk away.

But I don't care if the Steelers go 16-0 next season...I'm not believing a word Mike Tomlin says anymore, and I'm not trusting a team under his command is going to win anything...until he proves it.

Right on!

That was how I felt about the Penguins a few years back. Thought we were going to watch Malkin and Crosby fade into obscurity with only them scratching their names on the cup once.
But the Pens ownership did what had to be done. They made changes, several, until they got it right.
I don't know about firing Tomlin but there must be sweeping changes to the coaching staff even if it sets us back a season.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:33 am 

fractalsteel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Right on!

That was how I felt about the Penguins a few years back. Thought we were going to watch Malkin and Crosby fade into obscurity with only them scratching their names on the cup once.
But the Pens ownership did what had to be done. They made changes, several, until they got it right.
I don't know about firing Tomlin but there must be sweeping changes to the coaching staff even if it sets us back a season.

Excellent posts by both of you!! Jeems....had planned to post something soon that will be very similar to what you've said.

But Fracta......herein lies the difference between Mario Lemieux and The Douchebag Art II. Tomlin's post is as safe as the Pope's....he's going nowhere until and unless he wants to.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:34 am 

Cool, you've come around to understanding that Tomlin is a fucking idiot.

Sweet.

I'll bet you are.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:34 am 

fractal steel wrote:
Right on!

Funny how the Penguins are now on a four-game win streak even as I write this.

That's the team I wish both Pirates' and Steelers' ownership would emulate. Rutherford did what needed to be done.

That's why I give them the benefit of a couple hundred doubts...even if Pens' ownership made some mistakes this year, I'm the exact opposite with them...I'll trust that they will do everything in their power to fix mistakes and keep this team challenging for Cups...until they prove they aren't doing it.

Nutting I have zero hope for...the guy doesn't even hide it that he's all about finding the profit sweet spot...only competing for a championship if it's financially expedient to do so...and keeping the team just "un-sucky enough" so he doesn't start losing money.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:46 am 

swissvale72 wrote:

Excellent posts by both of you!! Jeems....had planned to post something soon that will be very similar to what you've said.

But Fracta......herein lies the difference between Mario Lemieux and The Douchebag Art II. Tomlin's post is as safe as the Pope's....he's going nowhere until and unless he wants to.[/quote]

Yup Swiss you are right.
No way A2 pays salaries to a coach on the street and one on the field at the same time. Burkle and Mario see it differently. They like the idea of filling the rafters with championship banners. They realize the window was closing and they went out and made sure they had a chance to win and repeat.
With each season ending failure I keep hoping the Steelers brain trust wakes up and realizes that change is what is needed. Yet every year they keep to the same trail.