It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Agony of Wait Till Next Year
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:18 pm 

The morning after a Steelers playoff exit has a certain feel to it. It varies from season to season, depending on the nature of the exit, and the potential of the team. But there's a hollowness that ties them all together. When the Steelers lost to San Diego in the AFCCG, I had an upset stomach for weeks, couldn't sleep, and had nightmares when I did sleep. I can still picture Cowher and Neil O'Donnell giggling together on the sideline before the final play, as I was thinking, "what the fuck is so funny...come up with a fucking play that's going to work, don't laugh like it's the cool thing to do..." For those of you who remember, that team made a premature attempt at a championship style music video, which totally backfired in hindsight...bitten by a lack of preparation and overconfidence, which is a parallel you can draw to the finish the 2017 Steelers ran into yesterday. As the years have gone by, I've tried to handle Steelers loses better and to some extent I have. But it's still an awful feeling when it's wait till next year, especially when there was so much promise on the table, and you find yourself looking back on a play or two.

I became a registered user of this board after years of using it to get information and laughs, and because - thanks to a few posters in particular - it contained the best Steelers analysis you could get anywhere. Perch's wrap-ups of games were unmatched in my opinion by anyone, anywhere. Consistently passionate and terrific posts by B2B, Swiss, and others. Finally, after a lumpy 4-2 start this year, I decided to register. The Steelers won 7 in a row after I registered, and heading into the New England game, I'm thinking, what the fuck took you so long to register!

I still can't get the New England game out of my head. I want to; I feel like all the frustration should be vented toward what happened yesterday, but the truth is, there were so fucking close and a victory in that game produces an entirely different alignment, and quite possibly results. We'd have watched Pats/Jags yesterday, busy making sarcastic comments, excited to be hosting the AFCCG after beating Tennessee for the second time. But it didn't go that way and now it's the agony of wait till next year.

A few closing thoughts on the season:

1. The loss of Ryan Shazier thankfully, blessedly, did not cripple him. But it did cripple the Steelers defense. Yesterday's performance was outrageously bad, and exposed just how dependent they were on one guy to be a disruptive force, particularly in third down situations. The softness of certain players (Dupree), and the ineptitude of others (Mitchell) was painful to watch. Lots of help needed. It feels like a broken record at this point: ILB, Safety, Edge Rusher.

2. Tomlin. It's hard to counter most of the criticism levied at Mike Tomlin. No need to rehash it all here. When I saw what looked like a rugby scrum on the opening kickoff yesterday, with half a dozen Steeler players being carried like small children, I had a worried feeling about rust/preparation. It snowballed from there. And yet, as unpopular of an opinion as it is right now (and for good reason), I still think there are positives to Tomlin's results that we shouldn't take for granted, even if he's so obviously flawed. I don't think it's easy to go 13-3 in the NFL. I think it's naive to think otherwise. Over a 26 game stretch, counting the playoffs, his team went 22-4. Sure the Steelers have elite playmakers, but this is by no means a perfect team (how many of you are in love with the defensive pieces?).

3. Haley. I've always been against Haley from the moment he was hired. In much the same way that people say Tomlin will never go all the way again, I had the feeling that Haley would never win it all. He struck me as a bum when he arrived, someone who would never succeed in the biggest moments. I'll be happy when he's officially no longer with the team. Tomlin may never get to a Super Bowl again, but the Steelers will have a better chance to do so without Todd Haley.

I'll keep going for a moment because I don't want my season ending post to finish with the words Todd Haley.

There was still a lot of fun mixed in this year. As has wisely been said before: we don't enjoy these games, we suffer through them and hope to come out on top. I admit, I thought they'd win yesterday. Wasn't as confident about the NE game as some, but, man, I wish we could find out. That's the fun part: the restlessness as the team gets close, and you're hashing it out with fellow fanatics as it approaches. Hopefully we can get that feeling again next January.

Post subject: Re: The Agony of Wait Till Next Year
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:20 pm 

Nice post Will.

Quote:
1. The loss of Ryan Shazier thankfully, blessedly, did not cripple him. But it did cripple the Steelers defense.

I hope the kid walks again.
But yes, the loss of Shaz took any play making ability away from the defense.

The handful of passes that were inches short of being knocked down by Spence.
The missed tackle and wrap up on the left side by Fort on a third and long pass to the RB.
The tipped passes by Artie Burns that may have had Shaz in the vicinity.
The dump off to the TE's and RB/ FB's

He certainly would have made a difference with just three or four plays that could have been made.

Look forward to you posting in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:50 pm 

I am very skeptical about what I read and where I read it after a loss. Let alone, after an epic loss like yesterday. Allotta whiny, loner, know jack shit, spoiled people on the web that need attention, to get noticed or looking for a reaction, spewing their bullshit before, during & after every game.

This site has a bunch of them itself, sometimes completely destroying a good topic/thread or making it unbearable to continue reading for the time being. Hell, just read a thread today where someone suggested selling the team and bashed Rooney ownership.

But this site is set apart from the masses, by having "many more than most" excellent, knowledgeable, level-headed & devoted/dedicated authors. Will-the-Shake, this "writing" put you well in the "good read" category for sure. Excellent poast and exactly the way I feel. Even made me feel a bit better today (the day after), knowing there are others feeling the way I do today.

Excellent & kudos!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:03 pm 

You're right about how close we were to seeing a Jacksonville/New England game, while we likely would have stomped Mariotta and the Titans.

Not sure it matters much though.

We now know this team is incapable of beating the great Blake Bortles and let's get real. Brady likely beats the living shit out of us at Heinz, LIKE HE ALWAYS DOES.

Why? Belichick is a strategist. Tomlin is a motivator.

Belichick game plans to give his team the best chance to win. Tomlin busts out the pom poms.

We aren't winning shit with this coaching staff ever again. They're played out.

I'll bet you are.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:12 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:
Nice post Will.

Quote:
1. The loss of Ryan Shazier thankfully, blessedly, did not cripple him. But it did cripple the Steelers defense.

I hope the kid walks again.
But yes, the loss of Shaz took any play making ability away from the defense.

The handful of passes that were inches short of being knocked down by Spence.
The missed tackle and wrap up on the left side by Fort on a third and long pass to the RB.
The tipped passes by Artie Burns that may have had Shaz in the vicinity.
The dump off to the TE's and RB/ FB's

He certainly would have made a difference with just three or four plays that could have been made.

Look forward to you posting in the future.

Good post, Shake!!

And Stosh....re: missing Shaz. Let's start with Spence completely whiffing on Fournette's 4th down TD to open the game. As that play develops and Fournette has the handoff, and Spence is in the whole, I'm thinking we're stopping him.

Let me tell you what I can't do, Shake. Unlike many here, who right away turn their sights to the combine, the draft, etc....for me it's all Penguins, all the time. I'll take note of the schedule release, perhaps plan my pilgrimage to Heinz.....then I'll see you asshats on the Sunday after Labor Day.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:15 pm 

Nice post shake.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:33 pm 

I am always a little depressed when they are eliminated I always want to go as far as possible. Last year we had THREE playoff games! That was fun. And yeah, I'd rather lose the Super Bowl than not go. This kills all of MY motivation, I will still likely watch the last 3 games, but not in their entirety and not with great intensity, We've been blessed as Steelers fans, so much success, 23 Division Titles, 16 AFCCGs, 8 Super Bowls, 6 Lombardis, can't complain much, but it sure is less fun when they aren't there. I'd like to see Jax upset NE, but whatever, it won't feel like the feeling I get when the Steelers are there, even if they lose.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:02 pm 

KC wrote:
You're right about how close we were to seeing a Jacksonville/New England game, while we likely would have stomped Mariotta and the Titans.

Not sure it matters much though.

We now know this team is incapable of beating the great Blake Bortles and let's get real. Brady likely beats the living shit out of us at Heinz, LIKE HE ALWAYS DOES.

Why? Belichick is a strategist. Tomlin is a motivator.

Belichick game plans to give his team the best chance to win. Tomlin busts out the pom poms.

We aren't winning shit with this coaching staff ever again. They're played out.

I agree, but its much more than Tomlin.

They have failed miserably to build a competitive defense. I am not buying that Shaz would have made a huge difference because I recall this defense with Shaz getting blown out too.

They have invested heavily into this defense year after year, looking for the next great "edge" rusher - its not fucking working! Every year Ben gets a year older - stop the insanity!

They have failed particularly in the secondary. Its amazing to me. Burns and Davis should have improved...........Burns has certainly gone to hell and Davis is average to below average. The Mike Mitchell signing has pretty much been a terrible move from the beginning. Thank God Cleveland is a piece of shit organization and Haden got lucky to drop into their laps during the last days of training camp - ridiculous that they went to camp with that mix this year.

Now that it looks like Ben is coming back for multiple years, I think they need to sign Bell and keep the B's together.

On Defense, I would like to see some major changes. I would love them to switch to a 4-3 (like Scunge has described several times) and make it less complicated with a lot more man coverage. I would like them to get younger and faster and try to win on D with speed and athleticism.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:05 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
I am always a little depressed when they are eliminated I always want to go as far as possible. Last year we had THREE playoff games! That was fun. And yeah, I'd rather lose the Super Bowl than not go. This kills all of MY motivation, I will still likely watch the last 3 games, but not in their entirety and not with great intensity, We've been blessed as Steelers fans, so much success, 23 Division Titles, 16 AFCCGs, 8 Super Bowls, 6 Lombardis, can't complain much, but it sure is less fun when they aren't there. I'd like to see Jax upset NE, but whatever, it won't feel like the feeling I get when the Steelers are there, even if they lose.

I will not watch the Patriots/Jags

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:09 pm 

The real agony of wait until next year?

Knowing the odds are high that next year will end the same way this year ended.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."