It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Agony of Wait Till Next Year
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:27 am 

I just posted this on the draft OP, but relevant here as well.

Late to this OP, only clicked because the other activity seemed to be slowing down, but totally agree with you, #29.

Okay, I'm not a draftnick, but I HATE...HATE...that as soon as our team's knocked out of the playoffs, there's discussion of next year, free agency, draft, etc.

Not for me....I need to spend MUCH more time wallowing in our defeat, drowning in our misery. I at LEAST need to get through the Super Bowl, gnashing my teeth, generating replays in my mind, bemoaning my team not playing on Sunday, convincing myself that Steelers would have won in Foxboro, latching onto reports of the Brady finger injury but mother-fucking the fact that Steelers could not be so lucky as to face a compromised Brady.

And then there's the calendar. Next year??? Shit...have to get through winter, my spirits will hopefully be buoyed by hockey playoffs in the Spring, then summer....and then....I HATE how the holidays always impact my football season, love when Christmas is out of the way, then we can proceed with enjoying the playoffs. Hell...we just cleared Christmas, and our season's over.

So....fuck all this talk of next year....plenty of exorcism of the current disappointment yet to go.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:23 am 

After 11 years he has been exposed to the at large group. Many who once supported him are finally understanding who he really is however many have not yet reached the conclusion that Tomlin as HC creates mutually exclusive conditions that includes winning a SB, tough hitters in lieu of track stars on defense, well conceived game plans, professional decorum. The opportunity exists right now to get this locomotive back on the rails. A wholesale change can be disguised. If nothing happens now that the opportunity exists over time the team's fan base will shrink in proportion to the league's decline and what made Steeler football special will fade. A full circle that's conceivable under the current Rooney.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:22 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:
Gee, I don't know he only WENT BACK TO ANOTHER SUPER BOWL.

With the CORE of Cowher's championship team...."eased in", lost.

Compelling argument.

My post is in response to the idea that Tomlin did no more than Switzer. Switzer took Johnson's team and won a super bowl but could do nothing else. Tomlin took Cowher's talent and went to two super bowls. Tomlin > Switzer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:24 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
I just posted this on the draft OP, but relevant here as well.

Late to this OP, only clicked because the other activity seemed to be slowing down, but totally agree with you, #29.

Okay, I'm not a draftnick, but I HATE...HATE...that as soon as our team's knocked out of the playoffs, there's discussion of next year, free agency, draft, etc.

Not for me....I need to spend MUCH more time wallowing in our defeat, drowning in our misery. I at LEAST need to get through the Super Bowl, gnashing my teeth, generating replays in my mind, bemoaning my team not playing on Sunday, convincing myself that Steelers would have won in Foxboro, latching onto reports of the Brady finger injury but mother-fucking the fact that Steelers could not be so lucky as to face a compromised Brady.

And then there's the calendar. Next year??? Shit...have to get through winter, my spirits will hopefully be buoyed by hockey playoffs in the Spring, then summer....and then....I HATE how the holidays always impact my football season, love when Christmas is out of the way, then we can proceed with enjoying the playoffs. Hell...we just cleared Christmas, and our season's over.

So....fuck all this talk of next year....plenty of exorcism of the current disappointment yet to go.

I agree with this, and I really hate it when the team still has a mathematical (albeit slim) chance of making the playoffs and someone's gotta start making draft posts. Let the season play out already. Plenty of time for draft talk when the season is over.

Didn't Kenny Rogers have a song like that?