It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SBI...Fire Mike Tomlin (Steelers Epitaph 2017)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:06 pm 

Periodically, I write something where the motivation is strictly cathartic. The Manifesto falls into that category. Ironically, the catalyst for that 200+ page rant was Third & Fuckin' 6 vs. Jacksonville in the Wild Card Round following the '07 season. And now, an even decade letter, I'm back again, writing, per definition, to "provide psychological relief through the open expression of strong emotions," following yet another playoff loss to the Jaguars at Heinz Field. Bottom line? If you don't want to read this, don't....'cuz it's not for you asshats; it's for me!

I'm not going to swear off watching Steeler football, or the NFL, or predict that once #7 retires, I'm going to be a football recluse. Nope, I'm too old to make such a commitment. As our old pal (to some), Still Mill, had emblazoned on Stillers.com...."It's not just a team; it's a way of life." I'll be the first to admit, and I'm open to all of your various unflattering diagnoses on this, my identity is too wrapped up in my Pittsburgh Steeler fandom for me to let go, forged as a 10-year old, sitting alone in the Pitt Stadium endzone, absent any adult supervision, rooting for a rag-tag bunch, the dregs of the NFL, along with 19,000 of my best friends. It was there that I maintained loyalty as Tommy Wade threw seven interceptions against the Philadelphia Iggles, relieved by Bill Nelson, who threw two more. It was there that I saw in driving rain, Steelers down four touchdowns to the Washington Redskins, not leaving my seat until nine seconds remained. It was there that I witnessed the busloads of drunken bulbous-nosed Clevelanders, hanging out the windows, promising to deliver shock and awe upon the winless Pittsburgh Steelers. It was there that I saw these same winless Steelers, beat the equally winless Iggles in 1969, ensuring that they would not pick first in the upcoming draft, taking Joe Who from North Texas State instead.

Anyway, I'm sure that come the first Sunday after Labor Day this year, I'll be firing up my NFL Sunday Ticket, for which I'll shell out about three bills again. I'll be saying once again that Mike Tomlin will NEVER beat Bill Belichick in a game of any consequence, qualifying that remark by saying that if they do battle in January, I'll be believing once again. And, as I've oft-said, like Charlie Brown with that little bitch Lucy, I was believing all the way until mere seconds remained yesterday, convinced that our Steelers were going to get another shot at the Belichickians in that hellhole on Route 1 next Sunday, convincing myself that it would be a different outcome this time.

Here's the deal with Belichick. To me, he earned his chops by alerting the officials pre-game of the '01 AFCCG that Steelers gunner Troy Edwards, for whom they had way over-reached with a #1 pick, had a penchant for running out of bounds while covering punts. Steelers coach Bill Cowher had either never noticed this or chosen not to do anything about it. We know what happened. Flagged after a booming Josh Miller kick, the Steelers than allowed the other Troy, Patriot Troy Brown, to take the re-kick to the house for the opening score of that championship game loss.

Fast forward to this weekend. While Mike Tomlin is signing off on two of the worst 4th & inches calls in history, demonstrated his in-game dumfuckedness once again by opting for the lowest of low percentage onside kicks, rather than calling upon his defense to roll and three and out, and assorted other clock error goodies, Bill Belichick was instructing his charges that when facing 3rd or 4th down with less than five yards to go, make sure you react to any perceived encroachment on the part of the opposition. Guess what? It paid off for the Patriots by giving them a free first down when about to punt, wherein they subsequently drove for a touchdown.

Here's the maddening thing, once again, on Tomlin's decision-making. In consecutive weeks this year, he found himself down two scores in the final quarter. In both games, against Bungals and Ravens, Steelers scored, stopped their opponents and then scored again to win the game. In fact, against Bengals, Steelers scored again to tie, then scored yet again to win. And...the Steelers had sure as hell played no better on defense against the Ravens than they had yesterday against the Jags. In fact, it was the Ravens offense that put up 38 points, absent any assists from their defense by which the Jags benefited yesterday. At the time of Tomlin's monumentuous decision, Jags had converted 8 of 13 first downs, meaning that the Steelers had gotten off of the field on nearly 40% of these episodes. I don't know the percentages of successful onside kicks when everyone's expecting it, but it sure as hell isn't 40%.

Steelers can switch coordinators all they want, can replace the grounds and the water boy as well. The buck stops with the Head Coach. Until he's gone, Steelers will NEVER win another Super Bowl. Having said that, I know that Mike Tomlin's job is safer than the Pope. No, not some guy named Pope, but the Pope in Vatican City. Herein is the difference between Penguins management and Steelers management. Penguins are run by Mario Lemieux, a hockey all-time great that craves championships. He's an owner that's pulled the trigger, fired a Stanley Cup winning coach that was no longer getting the job done, knew he had to do something to take full advantage of the remaining years of a generational layer.
The Steelers, conversely, are run by The Douchebag Art II, a guy that played no more football than did his offensive coordinator, and craves football peace and tranquility, prizing his franchise's having had only three coaches since 1969. Contrary to attempting parlay the presence of Ben Roethlisberger into additional Super Bowl champinships, The Douchebag Art II saw fit to hang his QB out to dry in 2010, all to satisfy the Shadyside Bistro Crowd, sending letters to season-ticket holders suggesting that not ALLof the Steelers were bad guys, suggesting that he might be traded for the rights to Sam Fuckin' Bradford.

Now, here come the Tomlin apologists. But, but, but.....
*The guy's never had a losing season.
*He's won more games in 11 seasons than anyone but Don Shula.
*He went 13-3 this year.

To all of that, I say BFD!! We have....
*3rd & Fuckin' 6 in 2007
*Failure to make the playoffs in '09, losing five in a row, despite a promise to Unleash Hell in December.
*Losing to Tim Tebow in the 2011 playoffs.
*Failing to make the playoffs in 2012 & 2013 with one of the league's best quarterbacks.
*The Saturday night Massacre versus at Heinz Field versus the Ravens in the '14 playoffs.
*The Debacle in Foxboro last January

And now this....first Steeler coach in 25 years to earn a first-round bye, yet fails to win a playoff game. He goes on national TV, models shit-talking for his players, talks openly about a doubleheader with the Patriots. Any wonder his guys can't keep their fuckin' mouths shut?

Steelers will never win another Super Bowl with this guy. I'm all done with him, have been for a while. You should be, too.

Post subject: Re: SBI...Fire Mike Tomlin (Steelers Epitaph 2017)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:09 pm 

Good stuff.............

I'll add from another post I just made..........

The 2002 Super Bowl winning Tampa Bay Buccaneers led by first year coach Jon Gruden
Quote:
In January 2002, after losing in the wild card round to the Eagles for the second consecutive year, the Buccaneers fired head coach Tony Dungy.[1][2] After a recruiting effort aimed at former Jets coach Bill Parcells, Tampa Bay settled on Raiders coach Jon Gruden in exchange for two first round draft picks (2002, 2003), two second round picks (2002, 2004) and US$8 million in cash payments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Tampa_Bay_Buccaneers_season

The 2015 Super Bowl winning Denver Broncos led by first year head coach Gary Kubiak
Quote:
On January 12, 2015, one day after the Broncos' 24–13 loss to the Indianapolis Colts in the Divisional round of the 2014 playoffs, the Broncos and head coach John Fox decided to mutually part ways. Fox compiled a 49–22 record in four seasons (including the playoffs), led the Broncos to four consecutive AFC West division titles, a first-round bye in three consecutive seasons as well as a berth in Super Bowl XLVIII, but lost in the Divisional round of the playoffs in three of his four seasons as head coach.[4] Fox departed with a .719 winning percentage in his four seasons as head coach — the highest in franchise history.[5] Four days later (January 16), Fox was hired as the new head coach of the Chicago Bears.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Denver_Broncos_season

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:15 pm 

Would anybody be upset if the team went up for sale? I wouldn't. DMR is gone and I have zero faith in Art II.

Paging Stan Druckenmiller

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:30 pm 

Spot on and painful at the same time. We are fucked for a long time, he will not be shown the door.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:45 pm 

Tomlin sucks

Incompetent

One of the most talented rosters in the league shouldn’t get bounced at home

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:07 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
Tomlin sucks

Incompetent

One of the most talented rosters in the league shouldn’t get bounced at home

We can complain about Tomlin's in-game ineptitude all we like.

But fuck me: Blake Bortles Jags put up 45 points.

Tell you what after LAST year's ass raping at Foxborough and after this year's--I don't know what to call it--ass pounding inner organ failure demolition--I want that fucking hill billy Butler ridden out of town on a rail and I want Lake and Porter sent packing with him.

Indeed, it all begins and ends with Tomlin and he's signing off on all this shit, but we continue to have defensive meltdowns of the highest order.

So, I agree Swiss, but let's raise a glass to Hill Billy Butler as well. Douchebag extraordinaire.

EDIT: 42 points was not enough to beat Jax. That will never sink in.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:17 pm 

Tomlin ain't going anywhere. Not that I wouldn't mind seeing him move on. That said, this is my list of candidates after blowing up the staff...,
Randy Fichtner replaces re:Todd as Offensive Coordinator
Frank Cignetti Jr. replaces Fichtner as QB coach
Greg Schiano replaces Butler as Defensive Coordinator
Derek Mason or Nick Rapone replaces Lake as DB coach
Hardy Nickerson or Kevin Greene replaces peezy as OLB coach
Dave Toub or Ron Zook replaces smith as Special Teams Coordinator
Retain all other assistant/position coaches

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:26 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Tomlin ain't going anywhere. Not that I wouldn't mind seeing him move on. That said, this is my list of candidates after blowing up the staff...,

Endorsed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:13 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:

I'm good with the first two, so I'll take the rest of them as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:23 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:

How soon can we do all of the above?