It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: SBI...Fire Mike Tomlin (Steelers Epitaph 2017)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:57 pm 

great write up swiss..agree..i wish like hell we could get that deal for tomlin as for gruden..wow.. wont happen.
ben has hidden Tomlins flaws too well for most to see..when ben is gone Tomlins bubble will blow up..hes not god awfull; but he cant get us over the hump. his flaws are everywhere and stated well here..
ill be thrilled if we get rid of haley and butler. we need new eyes and thoughts to evaluate and revamp..more so on defense.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:04 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Periodically, I write something where the motivation is strictly cathartic. The Manifesto falls into that category. Ironically, the catalyst for that 200+ page rant was Third & Fuckin' 6 vs. Jacksonville in the Wild Card Round following the '07 season. And now, an even decade letter, I'm back again, writing, per definition, to "provide psychological relief through the open expression of strong emotions," following yet another playoff loss to the Jaguars at Heinz Field. Bottom line? If you don't want to read this, don't....'cuz it's not for you asshats; it's for me!

I'm not going to swear off watching Steeler football, or the NFL, or predict that once #7 retires, I'm going to be a football recluse. Nope, I'm too old to make such a commitment. As our old pal (to some), Still Mill, had emblazoned on Stillers.com...."It's not just a team; it's a way of life." I'll be the first to admit, and I'm open to all of your various unflattering diagnoses on this, my identity is too wrapped up in my Pittsburgh Steeler fandom for me to let go, forged as a 10-year old, sitting alone in the Pitt Stadium endzone, absent any adult supervision, rooting for a rag-tag bunch, the dregs of the NFL, along with 19,000 of my best friends. It was there that I maintained loyalty as Tommy Wade threw seven interceptions against the Philadelphia Iggles, relieved by Bill Nelson, who threw two more. It was there that I saw in driving rain, Steelers down four touchdowns to the Washington Redskins, not leaving my seat until nine seconds remained. It was there that I witnessed the busloads of drunken bulbous-nosed Clevelanders, hanging out the windows, promising to deliver shock and awe upon the winless Pittsburgh Steelers. It was there that I saw these same winless Steelers, beat the equally winless Iggles in 1969, ensuring that they would not pick first in the upcoming draft, taking Joe Who from North Texas State instead.

Anyway, I'm sure that come the first Sunday after Labor Day this year, I'll be firing up my NFL Sunday Ticket, for which I'll shell out about three bills again. I'll be saying once again that Mike Tomlin will NEVER beat Bill Belichick in a game of any consequence, qualifying that remark by saying that if they do battle in January, I'll be believing once again. And, as I've oft-said, like Charlie Brown with that little bitch Lucy, I was believing all the way until mere seconds remained yesterday, convinced that our Steelers were going to get another shot at the Belichickians in that hellhole on Route 1 next Sunday, convincing myself that it would be a different outcome this time.

Here's the deal with Belichick. To me, he earned his chops by alerting the officials pre-game of the '01 AFCCG that Steelers gunner Troy Edwards, for whom they had way over-reached with a #1 pick, had a penchant for running out of bounds while covering punts. Steelers coach Bill Cowher had either never noticed this or chosen not to do anything about it. We know what happened. Flagged after a booming Josh Miller kick, the Steelers than allowed the other Troy, Patriot Troy Brown, to take the re-kick to the house for the opening score of that championship game loss.

Fast forward to this weekend. While Mike Tomlin is signing off on two of the worst 4th & inches calls in history, demonstrated his in-game dumfuckedness once again by opting for the lowest of low percentage onside kicks, rather than calling upon his defense to roll and three and out, and assorted other clock error goodies, Bill Belichick was instructing his charges that when facing 3rd or 4th down with less than five yards to go, make sure you react to any perceived encroachment on the part of the opposition. Guess what? It paid off for the Patriots by giving them a free first down when about to punt, wherein they subsequently drove for a touchdown.

Here's the maddening thing, once again, on Tomlin's decision-making. In consecutive weeks this year, he found himself down two scores in the final quarter. In both games, against Bungals and Ravens, Steelers scored, stopped their opponents and then scored again to win the game. In fact, against Bengals, Steelers scored again to tie, then scored yet again to win. And...the Steelers had sure as hell played no better on defense against the Ravens than they had yesterday against the Jags. In fact, it was the Ravens offense that put up 38 points, absent any assists from their defense by which the Jags benefited yesterday. At the time of Tomlin's monumentuous decision, Jags had converted 8 of 13 first downs, meaning that the Steelers had gotten off of the field on nearly 40% of these episodes. I don't know the percentages of successful onside kicks when everyone's expecting it, but it sure as hell isn't 40%.

Steelers can switch coordinators all they want, can replace the grounds and the water boy as well. The buck stops with the Head Coach. Until he's gone, Steelers will NEVER win another Super Bowl. Having said that, I know that Mike Tomlin's job is safer than the Pope. No, not some guy named Pope, but the Pope in Vatican City. Herein is the difference between Penguins management and Steelers management. Penguins are run by Mario Lemieux, a hockey all-time great that craves championships. He's an owner that's pulled the trigger, fired a Stanley Cup winning coach that was no longer getting the job done, knew he had to do something to take full advantage of the remaining years of a generational layer.
The Steelers, conversely, are run by The Douchebag Art II, a guy that played no more football than did his offensive coordinator, and craves football peace and tranquility, prizing his franchise's having had only three coaches since 1969. Contrary to attempting parlay the presence of Ben Roethlisberger into additional Super Bowl champinships, The Douchebag Art II saw fit to hang his QB out to dry in 2010, all to satisfy the Shadyside Bistro Crowd, sending letters to season-ticket holders suggesting that not ALLof the Steelers were bad guys, suggesting that he might be traded for the rights to Sam Fuckin' Bradford.

Now, here come the Tomlin apologists. But, but, but.....
*The guy's never had a losing season.
*He's won more games in 11 seasons than anyone but Don Shula.
*He went 13-3 this year.

To all of that, I say BFD!! We have....
*3rd & Fuckin' 6 in 2007
*Failure to make the playoffs in '09, losing five in a row, despite a promise to Unleash Hell in December.
*Losing to Tim Tebow in the 2011 playoffs.
*Failing to make the playoffs in 2012 & 2013 with one of the league's best quarterbacks.
*The Saturday night Massacre versus at Heinz Field versus the Ravens in the '14 playoffs.
*The Debacle in Foxboro last January

And now this....first Steeler coach in 25 years to earn a first-round bye, yet fails to win a playoff game. He goes on national TV, models shit-talking for his players, talks openly about a doubleheader with the Patriots. Any wonder his guys can't keep their fuckin' mouths shut?

Steelers will never win another Super Bowl with this guy. I'm all done with him, have been for a while. You should be, too

PREACH MY BROTHER!!! The bolded may be the finest thing you've ever posted/written.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:07 pm 

MeanJustinBarlow wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
Tomlin ain't going anywhere. Not that I wouldn't mind seeing him move on. That said, this is my list of candidates after blowing up the staff...,
Randy Fichtner replaces re:Todd as Offensive Coordinator
Frank Cignetti Jr. replaces Fichtner as QB coach
Greg Schiano replaces Butler as Defensive Coordinator
Derek Mason or Nick Rapone replaces Lake as DB coach
Hardy Nickerson or Kevin Greene replaces peezy as OLB coach
Dave Toub or Ron Zook replaces smith as Special Teams Coordinator
Retain all other assistant/position coaches

How soon can we do all of the above?

You may get the first. I doubt any of the others. Because Tomlin.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:29 pm 

Obviously wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Periodically, I write something where the motivation is strictly cathartic. The Manifesto falls into that category. Ironically, the catalyst for that 200+ page rant was Third & Fuckin' 6 vs. Jacksonville in the Wild Card Round following the '07 season. And now, an even decade letter, I'm back again, writing, per definition, to "provide psychological relief through the open expression of strong emotions," following yet another playoff loss to the Jaguars at Heinz Field. Bottom line? If you don't want to read this, don't....'cuz it's not for you asshats; it's for me!

I'm not going to swear off watching Steeler football, or the NFL, or predict that once #7 retires, I'm going to be a football recluse. Nope, I'm too old to make such a commitment. As our old pal (to some), Still Mill, had emblazoned on Stillers.com...."It's not just a team; it's a way of life." I'll be the first to admit, and I'm open to all of your various unflattering diagnoses on this, my identity is too wrapped up in my Pittsburgh Steeler fandom for me to let go, forged as a 10-year old, sitting alone in the Pitt Stadium endzone, absent any adult supervision, rooting for a rag-tag bunch, the dregs of the NFL, along with 19,000 of my best friends. It was there that I maintained loyalty as Tommy Wade threw seven interceptions against the Philadelphia Iggles, relieved by Bill Nelson, who threw two more. It was there that I saw in driving rain, Steelers down four touchdowns to the Washington Redskins, not leaving my seat until nine seconds remained. It was there that I witnessed the busloads of drunken bulbous-nosed Clevelanders, hanging out the windows, promising to deliver shock and awe upon the winless Pittsburgh Steelers. It was there that I saw these same winless Steelers, beat the equally winless Iggles in 1969, ensuring that they would not pick first in the upcoming draft, taking Joe Who from North Texas State instead.

Anyway, I'm sure that come the first Sunday after Labor Day this year, I'll be firing up my NFL Sunday Ticket, for which I'll shell out about three bills again. I'll be saying once again that Mike Tomlin will NEVER beat Bill Belichick in a game of any consequence, qualifying that remark by saying that if they do battle in January, I'll be believing once again. And, as I've oft-said, like Charlie Brown with that little bitch Lucy, I was believing all the way until mere seconds remained yesterday, convinced that our Steelers were going to get another shot at the Belichickians in that hellhole on Route 1 next Sunday, convincing myself that it would be a different outcome this time.

Here's the deal with Belichick. To me, he earned his chops by alerting the officials pre-game of the '01 AFCCG that Steelers gunner Troy Edwards, for whom they had way over-reached with a #1 pick, had a penchant for running out of bounds while covering punts. Steelers coach Bill Cowher had either never noticed this or chosen not to do anything about it. We know what happened. Flagged after a booming Josh Miller kick, the Steelers than allowed the other Troy, Patriot Troy Brown, to take the re-kick to the house for the opening score of that championship game loss.

Fast forward to this weekend. While Mike Tomlin is signing off on two of the worst 4th & inches calls in history, demonstrated his in-game dumfuckedness once again by opting for the lowest of low percentage onside kicks, rather than calling upon his defense to roll and three and out, and assorted other clock error goodies, Bill Belichick was instructing his charges that when facing 3rd or 4th down with less than five yards to go, make sure you react to any perceived encroachment on the part of the opposition. Guess what? It paid off for the Patriots by giving them a free first down when about to punt, wherein they subsequently drove for a touchdown.

Here's the maddening thing, once again, on Tomlin's decision-making. In consecutive weeks this year, he found himself down two scores in the final quarter. In both games, against Bungals and Ravens, Steelers scored, stopped their opponents and then scored again to win the game. In fact, against Bengals, Steelers scored again to tie, then scored yet again to win. And...the Steelers had sure as hell played no better on defense against the Ravens than they had yesterday against the Jags. In fact, it was the Ravens offense that put up 38 points, absent any assists from their defense by which the Jags benefited yesterday. At the time of Tomlin's monumentuous decision, Jags had converted 8 of 13 first downs, meaning that the Steelers had gotten off of the field on nearly 40% of these episodes. I don't know the percentages of successful onside kicks when everyone's expecting it, but it sure as hell isn't 40%.

Steelers can switch coordinators all they want, can replace the grounds and the water boy as well. The buck stops with the Head Coach. Until he's gone, Steelers will NEVER win another Super Bowl. Having said that, I know that Mike Tomlin's job is safer than the Pope. No, not some guy named Pope, but the Pope in Vatican City. Herein is the difference between Penguins management and Steelers management. Penguins are run by Mario Lemieux, a hockey all-time great that craves championships. He's an owner that's pulled the trigger, fired a Stanley Cup winning coach that was no longer getting the job done, knew he had to do something to take full advantage of the remaining years of a generational layer.
The Steelers, conversely, are run by The Douchebag Art II, a guy that played no more football than did his offensive coordinator, and craves football peace and tranquility, prizing his franchise's having had only three coaches since 1969. Contrary to attempting parlay the presence of Ben Roethlisberger into additional Super Bowl champinships, The Douchebag Art II saw fit to hang his QB out to dry in 2010, all to satisfy the Shadyside Bistro Crowd, sending letters to season-ticket holders suggesting that not ALLof the Steelers were bad guys, suggesting that he might be traded for the rights to Sam Fuckin' Bradford.

Now, here come the Tomlin apologists. But, but, but.....
*The guy's never had a losing season.
*He's won more games in 11 seasons than anyone but Don Shula.
*He went 13-3 this year.

To all of that, I say BFD!! We have....
*3rd & Fuckin' 6 in 2007
*Failure to make the playoffs in '09, losing five in a row, despite a promise to Unleash Hell in December.
*Losing to Tim Tebow in the 2011 playoffs.
*Failing to make the playoffs in 2012 & 2013 with one of the league's best quarterbacks.
*The Saturday night Massacre versus at Heinz Field versus the Ravens in the '14 playoffs.
*The Debacle in Foxboro last January

And now this....first Steeler coach in 25 years to earn a first-round bye, yet fails to win a playoff game. He goes on national TV, models shit-talking for his players, talks openly about a doubleheader with the Patriots. Any wonder his guys can't keep their fuckin' mouths shut?

Steelers will never win another Super Bowl with this guy. I'm all done with him, have been for a while. You should be, too

PREACH MY BROTHER!!! The bolded may be the finest thing you've ever posted/written.

Here's the part I honestly forgot to include, Obviously....and I really do believe this, as I've written it several times previously.

When it comes to officiating, Roger Goodell, Al Riveron, and by extension the on-field officials, know that a close call against the Patriots, they risk The Pompous Fuck Robert Kraft being up their ass. Conversely, The Douchebag Art II is all to willing to take it up the ass....whether it comes to on-field penalties or suspensions of his players, be it Ben in 2010, Deebo in 2011, or Juju this year.

On some level, against the Patriots four weeks ago, with the JJ catch....I see the replay, I fully expect these bastards to steal this from us, but I'm thinking....they wouldn't fuck us in our own house, would they? Compare it to what we see on a weekly basis in Foxboro.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:54 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Tomlin ain't going anywhere. Not that I wouldn't mind seeing him move on. That said, this is my list of candidates after blowing up the staff...,
Randy Fichtner replaces re:Todd as Offensive Coordinator
Frank Cignetti Jr. replaces Fichtner as QB coach
Greg Schiano replaces Butler as Defensive Coordinator
Derek Mason or Nick Rapone replaces Lake as DB coach
Hardy Nickerson or Kevin Greene replaces peezy as OLB coach
Dave Toub or Ron Zook replaces smith as Special Teams Coordinator
Retain all other assistant/position coaches

Pretty Good list.

How does Sunglasses Feel?

I agree, i'm tired of him. He's not getting over the hump, don't want to waste another year of pounding sand with Ben around.

Let's clear it out

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:21 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
randomsteelerfan wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
Great post Swiss - but the problem is Art2 much more than Tomlin.

I just wonder if Art2 has 1 goddamn competitive bone in his body. He has to be one of the most passive and patient fucktards of all time. I can't stand the guy. I like continuity but he takes it to an absurd level - there is a balance to everything.

Please explain how ARII has operated any differently than his dad? Did you hate Dan? Did you hate how Dan ran the Steelers?

I don't hate anybody, maybe the Patriots and the city of Boston.

I just don't like the guy's style.

I think they are all too damn conservative, patient and passive. For instance, they would never pull the trigger on a move like firing Dungy to hire Chucky to shake up the team to generate some change. I believe their passivity has left rings on the field. That bothers me.

I am guessing you love that about them?

Patience isn’t necessarily what I like about them. I think more often than not it’s better than knee jerk change. For every, Fox to Kubiak, there’s a Schottenheimer to Turner.

But, for almost 50 yrs, the Steelers method has been the standard. And I don’t think Robert Kraft has done anything special. He happened to hire a great coach who got lucky and drafted possibly the greatest QB in NFL history. What else has he done?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:33 pm 

randomsteelerfan wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
randomsteelerfan wrote:

Please explain how ARII has operated any differently than his dad? Did you hate Dan? Did you hate how Dan ran the Steelers?

I don't hate anybody, maybe the Patriots and the city of Boston.

I just don't like the guy's style.

I think they are all too damn conservative, patient and passive. For instance, they would never pull the trigger on a move like firing Dungy to hire Chucky to shake up the team to generate some change. I believe their passivity has left rings on the field. That bothers me.

I am guessing you love that about them?

Patience isn’t necessarily what I like about them. I think more often than not it’s better than knee jerk change. For every, Fox to Kubiak, there’s a Schottenheimer to Turner.

But, for almost 50 yrs, the Steelers method has been the standard. And I don’t think Robert Kraft has done anything special. He happened to hire a great coach who got lucky and drafted possibly the greatest QB in NFL history. What else has he done?

Cheated their way to 4* superbowls, got lucky in 2* of the 5 total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:25 am 

I'd agree they probably need to clean house on the defensive coaching side....those last two playoff games. No excusing it.

I also agree Tomlin isn't winning another ring, might not even be able to get back to the SB. Been saying that for years. Focus, preparation and discipline - Tomlin doesn't have it, and I think it's infected the entire rest of the team and staff. Tomlin is well liked not because he's respected, but because he looks the other way on a lot of shit and would rather be buddies than smack someone back in line.

The team is just mentally weak. They don't put the work in to prepare. Carried by the extraordinary talent of 3 future HOFers.

It's been a long time, if ever, where you'd look at a Tomlin team or unit that performed above it's talent level. We rarely outcoach anyone on Sunday.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:59 am 

Quote:

50 years? You sound like a Rooney. This is the kind of thinking I can't stand. We have our greatest QB on the roster - do everything you can to win now because we are going to have to suffer through a transition when he is gone and I would welcome the suffering if the guy would get aggressive for once in his life and try to win now, damn the future.

I hate the Patriots more than any other team in history, but Robert Kraft hasn't done anything special? WTF are you talking about? Are you serious? Since he bought that team in 1994? he has had that team in 13 AFC Championships. That's 13 out of 24 years in the AFCCG and in the playoffs 19 times and in the Super Bowl 8 times! We all know the head to head atrocities.

What I particularly like is their aggressiveness to acquire players. In the midst of this winning, they have consistently gone out and tried to improve the team through trades to acquire players.

Brandin Cooks, Randy Moss, Wes Walker, Ted Walker, Corey Dillon - all big trades they have made.

How about developing young QB's and trading them for picks. And all of the countless draft day trades they have made to stock pile picks.

They have also been aggressive in Free Agency....Stephon Gilmore, Rodney Harrison, Darrelle Revis to name a few.

Nothing special.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:21 am 

Suwanee88 wrote:
Quote:

50 years? You sound like a Rooney. This is the kind of thinking I can't stand. We have our greatest QB on the roster - do everything you can to win now because we are going to have to suffer through a transition when he is gone and I would welcome the suffering if the guy would get aggressive for once in his life and try to win now, damn the future.

I hate the Patriots more than any other team in history, but Robert Kraft hasn't done anything special? WTF are you talking about? Are you serious? Since he bought that team in 1994? he has had that team in 13 AFC Championships. That's 13 out of 24 years in the AFCCG and in the playoffs 19 times and in the Super Bowl 8 times! We all know the head to head atrocities.

What I particularly like is their aggressiveness to acquire players. In the midst of this winning, they have consistently gone out and tried to improve the team through trades to acquire players.

Brandin Cooks, Randy Moss, Wes Walker, Ted Walker, Corey Dillon - all big trades they have made.

How about developing young QB's and trading them for picks. And all of the countless draft day trades they have made to stock pile picks.

They have also been aggressive in Free Agency....Stephon Gilmore, Rodney Harrison, Darrelle Revis to name a few.

Nothing special.

You don't need to trade for Randy Moss when you draft AB and Bell.

The team had the talent this year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next