It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: "Other" Steelers owners want to fire Tomlin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:54 pm
Posts: 3738
The only way Tomlin is fired is if he is caught sniffing cocaine off an underage hooker at this point. We all know this. So we have to let go of this pipe dream.

So, knowing that, what is the next best alternative? New OC and DC coordinators. I don't know how Fitch is as a playcaller or as someone who designs plays. In my next OC, I want someone above all who is a good PLAYCALLER. Someone who has flow and builds off of previous plays. Someone who is creative.

In a DC, I'm not looking for a mad scientist. We have some dumb players out there, so I want someone who will simplify the scheme and maximize what these guys do best.

Above all, we need 2 coordinators focused on DETAIL. We need guys drilling all of the little things. We also need guys who aren't fckin stubborn and prideful. If you are getting gashed versus the run, then why not adjust to a front 4 defensive lineup? I guarantee you the Cheats will have an extra Dlineman ready on Sunday to plug the holes. They will put less pressure on the safeties to over commit and they won't be suckers for play action.

Butler had the whole year to fix the run D and he never did. He never adjusted. He kept trotting out the same formation even against shit QBs. He had all season to correct the miscommunications in the secondary. It never happened. He should have been fired a long time ago.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Other" Steelers owners want to fire Tomlin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 22791
Old School Steeler wrote:
The shareholders have every right and motive to add value to their shares/investment and nothing adds value to a NFL franchise like a SB. Isolating the NE and Jax playoff games Tomlin is an impediment to increasing value.

The issue for MM in Nashville was talent and ownership. Example, ownership demanded drafting Vince Young.

Once this light illuminated the shareholders will not back down. They know they've got one more season with this offense and then poof it's gone. Tomlin cannot adapt if given one more chance, he's incapable. It's now, very soon or it'll be wasted.


We've got to be really careful here that we're not projecting our own beliefs onto the as-yet unnamed minority owners.

I agree with your post here (except the MM "talent-only" bit, but we can agree to disagree. MM has done a great job with the line- I am dubious that translates to a quality HC, except maybe for the tight, disciplined approach bit). And some of the quotes suggest the minority owners might be thinking this. But we don't really know.

_________________
“Your ability to think concisely, your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Other" Steelers owners want to fire Tomlin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 22791
franco32 wrote:
The only way Tomlin is fired is if he is caught sniffing cocaine off an underage hooker at this point. We all know this. So we have to let go of this pipe dream.

So, knowing that, what is the next best alternative? New OC and DC coordinators. I don't know how Fitch is as a playcaller or as someone who designs plays. In my next OC, I want someone above all who is a good PLAYCALLER. Someone who has flow and builds off of previous plays. Someone who is creative.

In a DC, I'm not looking for a mad scientist. We have some dumb players out there, so I want someone who will simplify the scheme and maximize what these guys do best.

Above all, we need 2 coordinators focused on DETAIL. We need guys drilling all of the little things. We also need guys who aren't fckin stubborn and prideful. If you are getting gashed versus the run, then why not adjust to a front 4 defensive lineup? I guarantee you the Cheats will have an extra Dlineman ready on Sunday to plug the holes. They will put less pressure on the safeties to over commit and they won't be suckers for play action.

Butler had the whole year to fix the run D and he never did. He never adjusted. He kept trotting out the same formation even against shit QBs. He had all season to correct the miscommunications in the secondary. It never happened. He should have been fired a long time ago.


Yep- in a nutshell:

1) On offense, we need an OC who will design the offense around what our skill players do BEST.
2) On defense, we need someone who will come up with a simple effective scheme that teaches discipline and cuts down on communication errors.

_________________
“Your ability to think concisely, your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Other" Steelers owners want to fire Tomlin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:38 pm
Posts: 630
One wildcard in all of this is Mike Munchak. He is one person who I could see the Rooneys replacing Tomlin. Munchak at HC, Fichtner at OC, and a new DC would be a nice mixture of change and stability, and it would prevent the Steelers from losing their best coaching asset.

EDIT: I see that this has already been discussed. I understand that Munchak wasn't particularly successful in his first stint as HC, but maybe he's learned some things, and maybe he'd be just enough of a change to bridge the gap. I'm not in the die-hard fire Tomlin camp at the moment, but I would not like seeing Munchak leave.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Other" Steelers owners want to fire Tomlin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 22791
W&M_Steeler wrote:
One wildcard in all of this is Mike Munchak. He is one person who I could see the Rooneys replacing Tomlin. Munchak at HC, Fichtner at OC, and a new DC would be a nice mixture of change and stability, and it would prevent the Steelers from losing their best coaching asset.

EDIT: I see that this has already been discussed. I understand that Munchak wasn't particularly successful in his first stint as HC, but maybe he's learned some things, and maybe he'd be just enough of a change to bridge the gap. I'm not in the die-hard fire Tomlin camp at the moment, but I would not like seeing Munchak leave.


Munchak took himself out of consideration for the Cards' job. Schefter just reported it.

_________________
“Your ability to think concisely, your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Other" Steelers owners want to fire Tomlin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:38 pm
Posts: 630
Jeemie wrote:
W&M_Steeler wrote:
One wildcard in all of this is Mike Munchak. He is one person who I could see the Rooneys replacing Tomlin. Munchak at HC, Fichtner at OC, and a new DC would be a nice mixture of change and stability, and it would prevent the Steelers from losing their best coaching asset.

EDIT: I see that this has already been discussed. I understand that Munchak wasn't particularly successful in his first stint as HC, but maybe he's learned some things, and maybe he'd be just enough of a change to bridge the gap. I'm not in the die-hard fire Tomlin camp at the moment, but I would not like seeing Munchak leave.


Munchak took himself out of consideration for the Cards' job. Schefter just reported it.


I just saw that too. Good. That makes me think that something is brewing behind the scenes in Pittsburgh.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Other" Steelers owners want to fire Tomlin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 3622
franco32 wrote:
Butler had the whole year to fix the run D and he never did. He never adjusted. He kept trotting out the same formation even against shit QBs. He had all season to correct the miscommunications in the secondary. It never happened. He should have been fired a long time ago.


It's the Steeler way bullshit, can't fire coach, must be 3-4 forever, can't change, EVER! Why is that? the '70s Steelers won with 4-3, then one day in the '80s, they made it 3-4, and since then it's like a religion, CAN'T CHANGE IT EVER. I still often feel like they want to play the Cowher ball control, keep it close, chew clock game, even though they should try to score fast, fast, fast and purposely turn every game into a track meet with this talent.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Other" Steelers owners want to fire Tomlin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 15945
fortythree wrote:
Obviously wrote:
Stallworth16 wrote:
So Old School who would you hire as Head Coach for Ben's last years?

My original point is that when playoff teams fire their head coach it usually doesn't go well.


So you're just fine with Tomlin then? You're good with the playoff failure of the past nine seasons with the talent this team has had? You're okay with his teams being the Patriots' and Belichick's bitch? You like all the fucking drama such as players tweeting, talking shit right outside the opponent's locker room, and Facebook Live casts from their own locker room? You were happy with what transpired on Sunday in Pittsburgh with horrendous play calling, a fucking sieve defense that couldn't stop you, me and nine other guys we could pick up off the street for an offense? Well, I guess I can add you to the list of Tomlin defenders left.


No one is happy with playoff failures. But it's not as if every year they're getting to the playoffs fully healthy with a team as good as they had this year offensively.

The team wasn't that good the year they lost to Tebow. Should've won that game but Lebeau's defense failed.

They lost to Baltimore because they were on their 3rd string rb after Blount walked out.

They lost to Denver bc they had no Bell and no AB.

They lost to NE last year because of the defense and Bell getting hurt.

This is the first year in recent memory where there's no excuse for losing in the playoffs when they did.

I'm becoming less and less of a Tomlin fan with each year but I'm not ready to fire him yet.

the tebow loss was easily the worst Steelers playoff loss since 1986, and maybe ever. I ranked them based on relative DVOA and it looks like this:
Worst PIT Playoff Losses By DVOA
year PIT DVOA DVOA OPP difference

2011 PIT 22.6 -11.8 ....@DEN 34.4
1994 PIT 29.8 10.6 ....SD 19.2
2017 PIT 27.1 13.1 ....JAX 14
2010 PIT 35.4 23 ....GB* 12.4
2001 PIT 17.3 7.9 ....NE 9.4
1996 PIT 18.1 10.1 ....@NE 8
2015 PIT 21.3 17.7 ....@DEN 3.6
2004 PIT 37.6 34.2 ....NE 3.4
1992 PIT 15.4 16 ....BUF -0.6
2002 PIT 6.8 9.2 ....@TEN -2.4
1997 PIT 27 29.6 ....DEN -2.6
2007 PIT 19.4 24.1 ....JAX -4.7
1993 PIT 12.4 19.9 ....@KC -7.5
2016 PIT 17.1 24.9 ....@NE -7.8
2014 PIT 12.1 21.9 ....BAL -9.8
1995 PIT 20.7 32.7 ....DAL* -12
1989 PIT -8.7 19 ....@DEN -27.7

* = Super Bowl

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Other" Steelers owners want to fire Tomlin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 22791
The loss to Green Bay should be pushed down that list because if I had to guess, I’d guess Green Bay’s DVOA was depressed because Aaron Rodgers missed a few games.

Also we lost the anchor of our OL to injury right before the Super Bowl.

_________________
“Your ability to think concisely, your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Other" Steelers owners want to fire Tomlin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 6092
Jeemie wrote:
The loss to Green Bay should be pushed down that list because if I had to guess, I’d guess Green Bay’s DVOA was depressed because Aaron Rodgers missed a few games.

Also we lost the anchor of our OL to injury right before the Super Bowl.
And the Tebow loss was a result of losing hampton and kiesel in the second qtr. Safety's abandoned their over the top coverage to help in defending the run option.

They only had one guy out this year, and had a number of weeks to address the problem. Last year they were relatively healthy on defense, and also got humiliated.

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], JackSplat58, Steel Ubaldo, Y-Town Steel and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group