It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 9164
I’ve praised Tomlin for his regular season, threw some shade his way after the monumental loss to NE which likely added to the demise of this season, but overall see that he has value.

What I said was the thing that people refer to as his greatest attribute is what I argue may be the biggest thing holding them back. So is it impressive that tomlin has won all of those regular season games and hasn’t been to a super bowl (one he lost) in 8 plus years, or is that a failure? Don’t you think years from now the narrative will overwhelmingly be “what could have been”?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 7811
I cut Tomlin some slack for a few years because I saw they needed to do rebuilding and that can take a few years. By now the rebuild should be complete, and we should be competing for super bowls. I guess you could say we are. We've been in the playoffs four years in a row now, but the defense is clearly still a mess and not where I'd hoped it would be.

_________________
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Posts: 1040
Orangesteel wrote:
I’ve praised Tomlin for his regular season, threw some shade his way after the monumental loss to NE which likely added to the demise of this season, but overall see that he has value.

What I said was the thing that people refer to as his greatest attribute is what I argue may be the biggest thing holding them back. So is it impressive that tomlin has won all of those regular season games and hasn’t been to a super bowl (one he lost) in 8 plus years, or is that a failure? Don’t you think years from now the narrative will overwhelmingly be “what could have been”?


Absolutely. It makes me sick Ben, Bell and AB May not get back to the SB because of this coaching staffs inadequacies. Make no mistake, it’s Tomlin and the staff holding this team back.

After what AB and Ben did on Sunday, “what could have been?” is in the forefront of my mind. So frustrating.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11617
Poltargyst wrote:
By all means criticize Tomlin's mistakes, but this "Tomlin contributes nothing to the team" stuff is ridiculous.


Sure....but his game day blunders and mismanagement do a lot to negate what he gets done Mon-Sat.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Posts: 1040
Poltargyst wrote:
I cut Tomlin some slack for a few years because I saw they needed to do rebuilding and that can take a few years. By now the rebuild should be complete, and we should be competing for super bowls. I guess you could say we are. We've been in the playoffs four years in a row now, but the defense is clearly still a mess and not where I'd hoped it would be.


Tomlin got a lot of shit he didn’t necessarily deserve prior to 2016, imo. He wasn’t blameless, but the whole “we have a 1st ballot HOFer” reasoning is just shallow and weak. He needed to give Ben a team. And he did.

But, last years AFCCG was pretty much the last straw for me and Tomlin. This year only cemented that for me. He has monumental flaws that will continue to get exposed at the highest levels of the NFL and will prevent him from winning unless he miraculously gets bailed out by the talent on his roster.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7313
VASteelerGuy wrote:
Tomlin is fine as HC, he'll probably learn a huge lesson from this loss. He'll have a long time to reflect on it. I still believe the OC has to go. While I know the melt down was on the defense, they do not have the depth of talent the offense has.


There's no evidence of this guy learning lessons though. He talks about embracing responsibility, while never actually doing so. He never, ever, ever owns his game-day dumbfuckedness.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 597
Orangesteel wrote:

We are stuck in Tomlin pergatory.


This is true. The Catholic Rooney rule has ordained it so.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:36 pm
Posts: 370
swissvale72 wrote:
VASteelerGuy wrote:
Tomlin is fine as HC, he'll probably learn a huge lesson from this loss. He'll have a long time to reflect on it. I still believe the OC has to go. While I know the melt down was on the defense, they do not have the depth of talent the offense has.


There's no evidence of this guy learning lessons though. He talks about embracing responsibility, while never actually doing so. He never, ever, ever owns his game-day dumbfuckedness.


I think this is the biggest issue of all with Tomlin, even for those like myself who have tried hard to make arguments in his defense. As I said yesterday, I think it's naive to think a coach can go 22-4 over a 26 game stretch in this league and not be doing something right. But, and I hate all-caps, but in this case, BUT: the never owning up to mistakes, an unwillingness because of stubborn pride (or whatever it is) to ever look back on a failed moment in a game with even an ounce of humility. Of all his well-versed bingo board sayings, the one that gets me the most is the "not living in our fears" nonsense. For all the obvious failures in clock management over the years, I wish someone would say to him, "you may not be living in your fears, Coach, but you're living with some seriously bad math."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Posts: 1040
Will-the-Shake wrote:
I think this is the biggest issue of all with Tomlin, even for those like myself who have tried hard to make arguments in his defense. As I said yesterday, I think it's naive to think a coach can go 22-4 over a 26 game stretch in this league and not be doing something right. But, and I hate all-caps, but in this case, BUT: the never owning up to mistakes, an unwillingness because of stubborn pride (or whatever it is) to ever look back on a failed moment in a game with even an ounce of humility. Of all his well-versed bingo board sayings, the one that gets me the most is the "not living in our fears" nonsense. For all the obvious failures in clock management over the years, I wish someone would say to him, "you may not be living in your fears, Coach, but you're living with some seriously bad math."


And there’s another thing. He does live in his fears. He’s apparently afraid to do QB sneaks in fear of injuring Ben. He’s afraid of asking his defense for a stop instead pissing the game away on an onside kick. He’s afraid of opening up the offense in that it will expose his defense. He lives in his fears each and every game.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 4198
swissvale72 wrote:
VASteelerGuy wrote:
Tomlin is fine as HC, he'll probably learn a huge lesson from this loss. He'll have a long time to reflect on it. I still believe the OC has to go. While I know the melt down was on the defense, they do not have the depth of talent the offense has.


There's no evidence of this guy learning lessons though. He talks about embracing responsibility, while never actually doing so. He never, ever, ever owns his game-day dumbfuckedness.


Thank you.

I was actually going to comment about all the “maybe this will be a learning experience” or “hopefully he’s learned a lesson” etc.

Guy is who he is at this point.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16530
Miter Saw wrote:
I think one of the primary reasons Tomlin won't be canned is because ownership knows it was by their heavy hand that Haley was on the staff.

At minimum, they'll give him a shot with a full staff of his guys before the threat to fire is real.

I do like that his seat is uncomfortable.

Probably not a popular opinion, but I don't think firing Tomlin is the ideal option here. I'd much prefer that Tomlin admit (to himself) and learn from the littany of mistakes he's made. I'd much rather he rekindle that notebook geekish persona he came into the position with when he thought he had to prove something. Guess what Mike, you do have to prove yourself again...and when you do, you'll have to do it again.

If this isn't a wake up call, he'll never have one.

He has a lot to offer. Even former (non-steeler) players say they'd love to play for him. I'd rather have a reinvented Tomlin than a new hire at this point in time.

I don't know if that will happen.

thank you. great post that sums up the less than ideal situation with a degree of sanity

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16530
VASteelerGuy wrote:
"It's how you play, not what you say," - Tom Brady

Not sure how everyone in the league doesn't get this by now.

you quoted one of the biggest talkers and shit talkers in the NFL

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7313
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Miter Saw wrote:
I think one of the primary reasons Tomlin won't be canned is because ownership knows it was by their heavy hand that Haley was on the staff.

At minimum, they'll give him a shot with a full staff of his guys before the threat to fire is real.

I do like that his seat is uncomfortable.

Probably not a popular opinion, but I don't think firing Tomlin is the ideal option here. I'd much prefer that Tomlin admit (to himself) and learn from the littany of mistakes he's made. I'd much rather he rekindle that notebook geekish persona he came into the position with when he thought he had to prove something. Guess what Mike, you do have to prove yourself again...and when you do, you'll have to do it again.

If this isn't a wake up call, he'll never have one.

He has a lot to offer. Even former (non-steeler) players say they'd love to play for him. I'd rather have a reinvented Tomlin than a new hire at this point in time.

I don't know if that will happen.

thank you. great post that sums up the less than ideal situation with a degree of sanity


So....shall we presume you believe those of us who want Tomlin gone, to be insane?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 9164
randomsteelerfan wrote:
Will-the-Shake wrote:
I think this is the biggest issue of all with Tomlin, even for those like myself who have tried hard to make arguments in his defense. As I said yesterday, I think it's naive to think a coach can go 22-4 over a 26 game stretch in this league and not be doing something right. But, and I hate all-caps, but in this case, BUT: the never owning up to mistakes, an unwillingness because of stubborn pride (or whatever it is) to ever look back on a failed moment in a game with even an ounce of humility. Of all his well-versed bingo board sayings, the one that gets me the most is the "not living in our fears" nonsense. For all the obvious failures in clock management over the years, I wish someone would say to him, "you may not be living in your fears, Coach, but you're living with some seriously bad math."


And there’s another thing. He does live in his fears. He’s apparently afraid to do QB sneaks in fear of injuring Ben. He’s afraid of asking his defense for a stop instead pissing the game away on an onside kick. He’s afraid of opening up the offense in that it will expose his defense. He lives in his fears each and every game.


B-I-N-G-O. The coach speak drivel doesn’t match the product on the field, in the least.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23382
bradshaw2ben wrote:
VASteelerGuy wrote:
"It's how you play, not what you say," - Tom Brady

Not sure how everyone in the league doesn't get this by now.

you quoted one of the biggest talkers and shit talkers in the NFL


They don’t talk shit until AFTER they’ve beaten you.

That’s the difference.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm
Posts: 4516
SP wrote:
What an embarrassment. A half hour of bullshit sound bites is nothing new, but his responses to direct questions were just awful.

The questions started out centered around all of the talk by him and his team. The Dungy interview. Mitchell and Bells quotes. The guarantees of victory and the obsession with the Patriots. Tomlin shrugged it all off as media creations. Never took ownership of his words or the fact that he doesn’t coach his players not to make statement of disrespect to opponents. All the Jags could talk about after that game was how the Steelers words and actions served as a rallying point of motivation for them. Tomlin blows it off. He gets directly asked about Mitchell stalking the Jags locker room before the game tainting them. Tomlin said it was no big deal. Bullshit like that reflects poorly on the organization, the owners, the fans, the team, the brand, and the head coach. Mike thinks it’s no big deal.

The second round of questions centered around the horrid 4th and short play calls. You have a QB who is 18 for 19in his career on sneaks, best in the NFL by a mile since 2004 and you haven’t run a single sneak in 3 full season? He said they are not opposed to it. Ben said he wants to run the ball. Tomlin lets it slip that there is fear of people diving into Pounceys legs and of Ben getting hurt. Lose playoff games over fear of injury on a sneak. Fear of Injury never led him to teach Ryan Clark or Mike Mitchell or Ryan Shazier how to tackle without launching their head and neck into somebody.

He was also asked to evaluate the offense and the defense and coaching. His answers lead me to believe that there will indeed be changes as he was non-committal to any of the coaches. He also hinted at a retirement by Richard Mann and was asked about Hines Ward possibly being his replacement which Tomlin had no response.

Lastly this was the first time I ever heard shakiness and Mike Tomlin‘s voice. The usual confidence he speaks with was gone and he sounded like a man under much pressure. With the pro football talk report that some owners want him fired you have to wonder if where there is smoke there is fire. 10 years with a Hall of Fame QB and no rings is a big big problem .


The overwhelming constant issue over the past 10 years is the absolute piece of shit defense under a head coach with a defensive background. Biggest problem.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16530
Not sure where to put this but:

[url]One other thing that I thought deserved some discussion was Pittsburgh's onside kick down 42-35 with a two-minute warning and two timeouts left. GWC agreed with the decision by a very small margin, favoring the onside kick 4.2 percent to 3.8 percent for the kickoff. Certainly the circumstances of Pittsburgh's defense getting their ass kicked helped as well. I get it, but it's so hard to come back from 10 points down at that point in time I probably would've kicked it off regularly and hoped for the best.[/url]
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/any-given-sunday/2018/any-given-sunday-jaguars-over-steelers

Like I said, 50/50. You are in a position where you either have to trust the run defense that hadn't stopped the Jags all day or an onside kick unit that has been horrible.

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 6532
bradshaw2ben wrote:
. . . or an onside kick unit that has been horrible.
Did it look like that special teams unit practiced an onside kick? Who's fault was that?

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23382
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Not sure where to put this but:

[url]One other thing that I thought deserved some discussion was Pittsburgh's onside kick down 42-35 with a two-minute warning and two timeouts left. GWC agreed with the decision by a very small margin, favoring the onside kick 4.2 percent to 3.8 percent for the kickoff. Certainly the circumstances of Pittsburgh's defense getting their ass kicked helped as well. I get it, but it's so hard to come back from 10 points down at that point in time I probably would've kicked it off regularly and hoped for the best.[/url]
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/any-given-sunday/2018/any-given-sunday-jaguars-over-steelers

Like I said, 50/50. You are in a position where you either have to trust the run defense that hadn't stopped the Jags all day or an onside kick unit that has been horrible.


Two rebuttal points:

1) The Steelers were controlling the Jags' run game in the second half. They weren't being burned by the run...they were being burned by the play action passing of Bortles...which was likely not happening as the Jags would first try and bleed timeouts and the two minute warning. Maybe...maybe...they try a pass on third down if they're backed up in their own territory...but that pass play is coming on third down and likely expected.

2) The Steelers stopped Jacksonville on 40% of their third downs. Yes- they had no three and outs, but they had stopped the Jags on 40% of their third downs. That's at least three times the probability- probably more- of successfully recovering an onside kick when your opponents are expecting it.

Given this, you simply cannot put the Jags within striking distance of making it a two score game. You simply can't.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16530
COR-TEN wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
. . . or an onside kick unit that has been horrible.
Did it look like that special teams unit practiced an onside kick? Who's fault was that?

How do you know they didn't execute it perfectly in practice and the kicker just fucking choked? If he sees it in practice and it offers the team a slightly better chance to win a very low probability won game, I don't blame him for trying. The run defense was that bad, and even an unsuccessful onside kick normally executed doesn't put Jax in FG range.

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GreekSteel, Jobus Rum, Poltargyst, Steel Drummer and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group