It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:46 pm 

I’ve praised Tomlin for his regular season, threw some shade his way after the monumental loss to NE which likely added to the demise of this season, but overall see that he has value.

What I said was the thing that people refer to as his greatest attribute is what I argue may be the biggest thing holding them back. So is it impressive that tomlin has won all of those regular season games and hasn’t been to a super bowl (one he lost) in 8 plus years, or is that a failure? Don’t you think years from now the narrative will overwhelmingly be “what could have been”?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:49 pm 

I cut Tomlin some slack for a few years because I saw they needed to do rebuilding and that can take a few years. By now the rebuild should be complete, and we should be competing for super bowls. I guess you could say we are. We've been in the playoffs four years in a row now, but the defense is clearly still a mess and not where I'd hoped it would be.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:51 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
I’ve praised Tomlin for his regular season, threw some shade his way after the monumental loss to NE which likely added to the demise of this season, but overall see that he has value.

What I said was the thing that people refer to as his greatest attribute is what I argue may be the biggest thing holding them back. So is it impressive that tomlin has won all of those regular season games and hasn’t been to a super bowl (one he lost) in 8 plus years, or is that a failure? Don’t you think years from now the narrative will overwhelmingly be “what could have been”?

Absolutely. It makes me sick Ben, Bell and AB May not get back to the SB because of this coaching staffs inadequacies. Make no mistake, it’s Tomlin and the staff holding this team back.

After what AB and Ben did on Sunday, “what could have been?” is in the forefront of my mind. So frustrating.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:52 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
By all means criticize Tomlin's mistakes, but this "Tomlin contributes nothing to the team" stuff is ridiculous.

Sure....but his game day blunders and mismanagement do a lot to negate what he gets done Mon-Sat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:57 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
I cut Tomlin some slack for a few years because I saw they needed to do rebuilding and that can take a few years. By now the rebuild should be complete, and we should be competing for super bowls. I guess you could say we are. We've been in the playoffs four years in a row now, but the defense is clearly still a mess and not where I'd hoped it would be.

Tomlin got a lot of shit he didn’t necessarily deserve prior to 2016, imo. He wasn’t blameless, but the whole “we have a 1st ballot HOFer” reasoning is just shallow and weak. He needed to give Ben a team. And he did.

But, last years AFCCG was pretty much the last straw for me and Tomlin. This year only cemented that for me. He has monumental flaws that will continue to get exposed at the highest levels of the NFL and will prevent him from winning unless he miraculously gets bailed out by the talent on his roster.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:16 pm 

VASteelerGuy wrote:
Tomlin is fine as HC, he'll probably learn a huge lesson from this loss. He'll have a long time to reflect on it. I still believe the OC has to go. While I know the melt down was on the defense, they do not have the depth of talent the offense has.

There's no evidence of this guy learning lessons though. He talks about embracing responsibility, while never actually doing so. He never, ever, ever owns his game-day dumbfuckedness.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:36 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:

We are stuck in Tomlin pergatory.

This is true. The Catholic Rooney rule has ordained it so.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:39 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
VASteelerGuy wrote:
Tomlin is fine as HC, he'll probably learn a huge lesson from this loss. He'll have a long time to reflect on it. I still believe the OC has to go. While I know the melt down was on the defense, they do not have the depth of talent the offense has.

There's no evidence of this guy learning lessons though. He talks about embracing responsibility, while never actually doing so. He never, ever, ever owns his game-day dumbfuckedness.

I think this is the biggest issue of all with Tomlin, even for those like myself who have tried hard to make arguments in his defense. As I said yesterday, I think it's naive to think a coach can go 22-4 over a 26 game stretch in this league and not be doing something right. But, and I hate all-caps, but in this case, BUT: the never owning up to mistakes, an unwillingness because of stubborn pride (or whatever it is) to ever look back on a failed moment in a game with even an ounce of humility. Of all his well-versed bingo board sayings, the one that gets me the most is the "not living in our fears" nonsense. For all the obvious failures in clock management over the years, I wish someone would say to him, "you may not be living in your fears, Coach, but you're living with some seriously bad math."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:56 pm 

Will-the-Shake wrote:
I think this is the biggest issue of all with Tomlin, even for those like myself who have tried hard to make arguments in his defense. As I said yesterday, I think it's naive to think a coach can go 22-4 over a 26 game stretch in this league and not be doing something right. But, and I hate all-caps, but in this case, BUT: the never owning up to mistakes, an unwillingness because of stubborn pride (or whatever it is) to ever look back on a failed moment in a game with even an ounce of humility. Of all his well-versed bingo board sayings, the one that gets me the most is the "not living in our fears" nonsense. For all the obvious failures in clock management over the years, I wish someone would say to him, "you may not be living in your fears, Coach, but you're living with some seriously bad math."

And there’s another thing. He does live in his fears. He’s apparently afraid to do QB sneaks in fear of injuring Ben. He’s afraid of asking his defense for a stop instead pissing the game away on an onside kick. He’s afraid of opening up the offense in that it will expose his defense. He lives in his fears each and every game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:00 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
VASteelerGuy wrote:

Thank you.

I was actually going to comment about all the “maybe this will be a learning experience” or “hopefully he’s learned a lesson” etc.

Guy is who he is at this point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next