It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Per Ben. He is not allowed to check to QB sneak. WTF?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:18 pm 

From PFT

Big Ben says he’s not allowed to check to a fourth-and-1 quarterback sneak

In Sunday’s loss to the Jaguars, the Steelers twice got stopped on fourth-and-1. On both plays, there appeared to be room in the middle of the line for Ben Roethlisberger to run a quarterback sneak for a yard. So why didn’t he?

Roethlisberger says he isn’t allowed to check out of the play that offensive coordinator Todd Haley calls and go to a quarterback sneak instead, even if he can see by the way the defense lines up that he’ll get the first down.

On his radio show this morning, Roethlisberger said it’s head coach Mike Tomlin’s call not to give him the freedom to audible at the line of scrimmage to a quarterback sneak.

“I have asked for it. I am fine with it. If they want to call it, I’m all for it,” Roethlisberger said, via Aditi Kinkhabwala of NFL Network.

After the loss to the Jaguars, Tomlin defended the decision not to run the quarterback sneak, saying the Jaguars are good at stopping it and that Tomlin was comfortable with the plays called. But to have a veteran franchise quarterback like Roethlisberger and not even give him the authority to call a quarterback sneak is odd. The Steelers might have won that game if they’d picked up those two fourth down conversions. Roethlisberger should have had the authority to make the best call

Last edited by RooneyTunes on Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Hall of Fame QB not allowed to check to QB sneek. WTF?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:20 pm 

Fire that Bug-eyed Dick Tease

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:23 pm 

Wow...the shit just keeps getting deeper and deeper...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:25 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Wow...the shit just keeps getting deeper and deeper...

I know it's fun to suppose that Tomlin is submental, but something like this...I wonder it does not come from Arty Deuce...bc I assume Tomlin, despite whatever shortcomings, actually wants to win games.

Post subject: Re: Per Ben. He is not allowed to check to QB sneak. WTF?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:08 pm 

the disappearance of the sneak has been a great mystery for a few years now.

however we got here, winning games has obviously taken a back seat to "something" else.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:11 pm 

Here’s my deal...even if you don’t want to sneak, how dumb do you have to be to choose a toss sweep play against a fast defense instead?

And also...FUCKING GET RID OF THE “try and draw them offside” bullshit. It NEVER works, and you look stupid when you do it.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:14 pm 

FYI

Decastro said the same. Said that both calls came from the sideline and were not audibles by Ben.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:16 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Here’s my deal...even if you don’t want to sneak, how dumb do you have to be to choose a toss sweep play against a fast defense instead?

And also...FUCKING GET RID OF THE “try and draw them offside” bullshit. It NEVER works, and you look stupid when you do it.

But Jeemie, those failed pitch sweeps set up that winning shovel pass. Rope-a-dope! Haley is brilliant!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:16 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

Or why not bring the FB in and go straight up the middle with Bell, or whoever the RB is. If James Conner was healthy, I'd just hammer his big ass straight ahead behind #45.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:28 pm 

If you don’t have the confidence that Pouncey, DeCastro and possibly Nix can get some push to allow Bell the space to get 12 inches of blades of grass....well, you truly are living in your fears and shoukdn’t be the HC of one of the best teams in the league.

What a fucking joke

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next