It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Per Ben. He is not allowed to check to QB sneak. WTF?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:54 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
955876 wrote:
It also begs the question, why would Tomlin allow it?

Well, my theory is Ben said he's worried about concussions and can't put himself at risk on the sneak. Then if you're Tomlin, you have two choices: watch your HOF QB retire, or take the sneak out of the playbook.

And, if you're Tomlin, you may not agree or like it, but you probably respect and understand....and so you take the heat/blame for not running the sneak.

There really and truly is no other explanation why Tomlin and Haley are the only two coaches in the league that refuse to call a QB sneak. And it's not something they always believed. No reason for them to change. But Ben, he has some reasons to change.

Kodiak, you just can't convince some folks to view it logically. If Ben is the main reason QB sneaks don't happen (which is what I've always felt/said), Tomlin has no way to break his silence. Think about it, what's he gonna say? "Yep. we will never run another QB sneak with Ben under center, because Ben won't run them." He can't say that and have his OC run an effective 4th and short play of any sort. He has just given the defense half the formula to stopping them. It's crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:58 pm 

I get it now, Ben is concerned about injury with respect to QB sneaks, but hes all good with standing in the pocket 50 times again, or scambling for 1st downs in games and throwing backward laterals like the one to Bell in games,...no risk of injury there, yup i got it, thanks for helping me see whats so plainly obvious. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:06 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
I get it now, Ben is concerned about injury with respect to QB sneaks, but hes all good with standing in the pocket 50 times again, or scambling for 1st downs in games and throwing backward laterals like the one to Bell in games,...no risk of injury there, yup i got it, thanks for helping me see whats so plainly obvious. :roll:

Different type of injury control, if you will. In the pocket, he can almost always see what's about to hit him and where and almost always from the chest to the thighs. He can make small moves to control the blow somewhat. On a sneak/dive he has zero control or vision of what is about to hit him...and take a unseen blow where?...the head and upper chest/neck area...ding-ding-ding!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:09 pm 

DP39 wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

Different type of injury control, if you will. In the pocket, he can almost always see what's about to hit him and where and almost always from the chest to the thighs. He can make small moves to control the blow somewhat. On a sneak/dive he has zero control or vision of what is about to hit him...and take a unseen blow where?...the head and upper chest/neck area...ding-ding-ding!

Riiiight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:11 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
DP39 wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

Riiiight

Question...what do you deem as Ben's biggest/most threatening past on-field injury?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:12 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
DP39 wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

Riiiight
Driven into the ground by Burfict in the Bengals play off game, and the strip sack fumble scoop for a TD against the jags he was slammed sideways into the turf.

I call bullshit on the protecting our $100M QB.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:21 pm 

DP39"]
GreekSteel wrote:
DP39 wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

Riiiight

Question...what do you deem as Ben's biggest/most threatening past on-field injury?[/quote]

if theres any part of Bens body that hes a little antsy about, its his knees. How many times has a QB been concussed during a QB sneak?? Going out on a limb here in saying i'll bet thats extremely rare.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:25 pm 

DP39 wrote:
Different type of injury control, if you will.

This is 100% correct. As a passer, he is protected in the pocket from blows to the head (and shots below the knee, for that matter). As a runner out of the pocket, he is protected so long as he slides feet first.

Going head first, or running a sneak, exposes him to helmet-to-helmet contact he just doesn't take otherwise. Even headfirst outside the pocket he's got one or two guys and he's diving out of the way. On the sneak you put your head down and bang it against some big uglies who are sticking their heads in their to stop you.

And I'm not saying it's rational or makes sense. But this is clearly Ben's decision....unless you actually believe Tomlin/Haley woke up one day and decided a QB sneak was a risk they can no longer afford to take.

People saying it's dumb to think Ben won't run it for fear of injury....yet they apparently believe Tomlin when that is the EXACT reason Tomlin gave for saying he won't run it....Implicitly people recognize the bullshit coming from the HC, but they just can't take the logical next step....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:29 pm 

Pure speculation, derived conceptually in part from Boston talk radio douchebag Michael Felger. One of the calls recently re: Brady and the swirl of stuff surrounding him suggested that Brady was taking marching orders from his wife, Giselle Buchin, to which Felger responded, "Blame the wife, tried and true method." Felger went on to blame Brady's "second wife," the guru Alex Guerrero.

Anyway, how's this sound. The only way Ben is allowed, by his wife Ashley, continue to play quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers, is if he promises her that he will not, under any circumstance, run a sneak. Sound right?

Further, here's the thing about these fuckers never learning. In the first Cinci game this year, I think Steelers failed....three times....to convert yard to go downs. I think we talked then about the QB sneak situation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:30 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
DP39 wrote:
Different type of injury control, if you will.

This is 100% correct. As a passer, he is protected in the pocket from blows to the head (and shots below the knee, for that matter). As a runner out of the pocket, he is protected so long as he slides feet first.

Going head first, or running a sneak, exposes him to helmet-to-helmet contact he just doesn't take otherwise. Even headfirst outside the pocket he's got one or two guys and he's diving out of the way. On the sneak you put your head down and bang it against some big uglies who are sticking their heads in their to stop you.

And I'm not saying it's rational or makes sense. But this is clearly Ben's decision....unless you actually believe Tomlin/Haley woke up one day and decided a QB sneak was a risk they can no longer afford to take.

People saying it's dumb to think Ben won't run it for fear of injury....yet they apparently believe Tomlin when that is the EXACT reason Tomlin gave for saying he won't run it....Implicitly people recognize the bullshit coming from the HC, but they just can't take the logical next step....

Ben literally almost never ever slides feet first, he almost always dives HEADFIRST.

And actually Tomlin/Haley have said in the past they dont want Ben or Pouncey exposed to injury and thats why they dont prefer running the QB sneak.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next