It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Todd Haley gone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:33 pm 

Quote:
They don't want to abandon it and are trying to tinker with it, to prop it up, but the foundation is bad, there is no getting around it, it is ill-suited for today's NFL game.

Wade Phillips says hi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:39 pm 

e="bradshaw2ben"]
GreekSteel wrote:
KC wrote:
DrMalba wrote:
Fuck the rookie ... Bell runs with PLENTY of power.
We need to get an OC committed to NOT running long, complicated toss sweeps against a defense with a bunch of LBs who are in the mid 4's in 40 time.

Actually, Bell's patience in a fourth and a foot, as great as he is, probably isn't the best idea.

Not saying he isn't fantastic. He is. Not saying Bell couldn't pick up the foot. He very likely could, but if you're not going to sneak it against what amounts to 8 defensive linemen, you need a motherfucker that is going to BLAST FORWARD like a hammer.

James Conner might have been that guy. The dude we cut who is now on the practice squad? Yeah, I'll take him.

Watson?

Bell led THE ENTIRE NFL in short yardage conversion rate in 2016.[/quote]

I would have used Bell as well, but not on a sweep...run it right at em

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:00 am 

QB sneak was a no-brainer on the first one, and EVERY other option was overthinking to the extreme.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:03 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
QB sneak was a no-brainer on the first one, and EVERY other option was overthinking to the extreme.

Let me be more clear...QB sneak was always the first choice, it thats out of the playbook, then run Bell right at em

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:44 am 

GreekSteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Let me be more clear...QB sneak was always the first choice, it thats out of the playbook, then run Bell right at em

I would have even liked a quick dive to Nix over that sweep ugh.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:58 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

+100 EVERY other option sucks in comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:34 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Well. Could've kicked a FG and got their first points on the board.

Panic mode struck early.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:39 am 

Late to the party I see. Thank God! Good riddance re:Todd.

Who do they look at for WR's coach since Mann has retired? Ward?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:07 am 

Miter Saw wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Well. Could've kicked a FG and got their first points on the board.

Panic mode struck early.

I don't think that was the correct choice. 4th and inches is easily convertable if you don't call a dipshit play.

If it was 4th and 2...ok yea maybe kick the FG

Steelers played themselves

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:30 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Late to the party I see. Thank God! Good riddance re:Todd.

Who do they look at for WR's coach since Mann has retired? Ward?

Pretty sure its gonna be Ward. Watching Inside the NFL last night i didnt realize Hines was around the team as much as he was, he was coaching guys up on the sidelines so I suspect hes the next Wrs coach.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:36 am 

I love how the blowhards on First Take this morning were screaming on how could they get rid of him. Talking about passing being in the top 5 since he's been there, Ben throwing for 4000+ yds 3x and how he helped make Brown and Bell the dynamic players that they are. They were saying he was getting a raw deal and Ben forced him out.

Apparently they missed last Sunday's game. The questionable play calls that have happened for the last 6 years in crucial situations, a dynamic O that was middle of the pack in scoring and a dynamic O that over the last 3 yrs was bottom of the league in RZ scoring.

Yeah he helped Ben not take as many sacks but he play calls has been suspect at best and borderline incompetent at worst. He should've been shown the door a minimum of 3 yrs ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:46 pm 

Stillcajun wrote:
I love how the blowhards on First Take this morning were screaming on how could they get rid of him. Talking about passing being in the top 5 since he's been there, Ben throwing for 4000+ yds 3x and how he helped make Brown and Bell the dynamic players that they are. They were saying he was getting a raw deal and Ben forced him out.

Apparently they missed last Sunday's game. The questionable play calls that have happened for the last 6 years in crucial situations, a dynamic O that was middle of the pack in scoring and a dynamic O that over the last 3 yrs was bottom of the league in RZ scoring.

Yeah he helped Ben not take as many sacks but he play calls has been suspect at best and borderline incompetent at worst. He should've been shown the door a minimum of 3 yrs ago.

Still more upset with Butler.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:48 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Stillcajun wrote:

Still more upset with Tomlin.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:50 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Stillcajun wrote:

Munchak and his coaching up of the OL from a major weakness into one of the NFLs best deserves 95% of the credit for pass protection if not all of it, not Haley.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:53 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Munchak and his coaching up of the OL from a major weakness into one of the NFLs best deserves 95% of the credit for pass protection if not all of it, not Haley.

Normally I like to think I can listen to reason.

When the offense scores 42 points and you lose, I cannot help but blame defense more.

At this point I'm just repeating myself: I am ok with the Haley hate in general. But in the Jags game in particular, no one can convince me that Haley is more blameworthy than Butler. But since Wexel is tweeting that the D is as much Tomlin as Butler, I blame both Butler AND Tomlin more for this loss.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:56 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

Normally I like to think I can listen to reason.

When the offense scores 42 points and you lose, I cannot help but blame defense more.

At this point I'm just repeating myself: I am ok with the Haley hate in general. But in the Jags game in particular, no one can convince me that Haley is more blameworthy than Butler. But since Wexel is tweeting that the D is as much Tomlin as Butler, I blame both Butler AND Tomlin more for this loss.

Haley apperently was rubbing not only Ben but Tomlin the wrong way so he had to go but in that game, yup i blame Tomlin and Butler more than Haley altho i doubt haleys play calls were for Ben AB Bell and Bryant to bail his ass out on 4th down.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:58 pm 

So Tomlin has two years in a row now royally cocked up a defensive game plan in the post season.

I have steam coming out of my ears.

Either I'm mad or full of hot air.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:19 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
So Tomlin has two years in a row now royally cocked up a defensive game plan in the post season.

Watch some highlights and film break down. Focus on gap integrity and lack of speed on defense. Especially the inside. Namely Spence and Gay. Then watch Burns make more boneheaded mistakes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:40 pm 

That’s the dickbags legacy for one of his dream jobs that he totally blew.

A 4th and 1 toss sweep that starts 6 yards behind the LOS, for a loss of 6. LOL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:48 am 

The golfer's first 2+ years here are among the worst coaching I have ever seen in sports.

He did get a lot better and at one point it looked like he might end up being a good OC for us, but he too often reverted.

I'm glad the golfer is gone.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:57 am 

Still Lit wrote:

If Rooney does not call his head coach out or challenge him, Haley’s departure will mean nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:00 pm 

Still Lit wrote:

This is where I'm at. Everyone here seems to focus on his cliches, his metaphors, his game/clock management, etc. I see most of that as just noise. None of it overly impactful either way. Other than to annoy those that hate him.

That being said, his last two playoff failures have spotlighted his complete inability to gameplan, make adjustments, attack weaknesses, etc on the biggest of stages. It's absolutely unfathomable to me that he felt his teams were prepared to enter their last two playoff games. Just unforgivable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:25 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

If Rooney does not call his head coach out or challenge him, Haley’s departure will mean nothing.

What exactly did Tomlin do his 1 year as a DC?

I was fine with Tomlin in his early years when I believe he let his coaches coach plus he had great defenses which he needs with his conservative nature.

I do not trust Tomlin with this roster + the current NFL.

It really concerns me that Tomlin at this point in his career is going to want to (continue) to put his stamp on this team. A conservative stamp.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:58 pm 

Let me remind people of a couple of things. Last year Cam Heyward was injured and didn't play. Leveon Bell also didn't play. The defensive secondary was (and still is) young and inexperienced for the most part. This was the depth chart in 2016 :

Cornerback
William Gay
Ross Cockrell
Senquez Golson
Doran Grant
Isaiah Frey
Al-Hajj Shabazz
Artie Burns +

Safety
Mike Mitchell
Shamarko Thomas
Robert Golden
Jordan Dangerfield
Ross Ventrone
Ray Vinopal
Sean Davis +

+ Rookie

Those guys were playing aginst what is considered one of the best coaches in the NFL. Two rookie starters. Granted, the game plan against NE in last year's AFCCG was suspect, but it was corrected, more or less, in this years game. Butler didn't just trot out the same scheme or game plan as last year. One has to admit that, yes? The Pats won in 2017 on a controversial call, among others, not because the steelers defense fucked it up. It was actually the offense, once again, that fucked it up. Last year no Bell, and the offense was castrated.

Give a defense the confidence that the O can compensate for youth and lack of athleticism (gronk), and maybe they play better. Or at least rack up some games for experience. This year's loss seemed to be more player execution - reaction, than scheme. Whereas the offense had the a finger on the scale because of haleyisms. AND, the talent on O actually made it a close game, despite giving up 14- points off turnovers.

If the BR doesn't throw an interception - albeit a great defensive play - or displays a bit more pocket presence and doesn't wait for a fumble strip sack, the steelers and the shitty defense win that game. I said it before and I'll say it again. The problem with the O was coaching. The problem with the D was player execution/ talent/ altheticism. There might have been strategic mistakes - like not playing Harrison or no contingencies for the best defensive player going down - but those aren't totally on positional coaches or the DC. I lay the blame for that on the HC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7