It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 45/29
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:25 pm 

I think the glaring difference between Haley and Butler is that Haley has all pro's and HOF destined players. Butler not so much. Maybe one, so far in Heyward. Shaz doesn't count because he's been our for a few weeks.

Haley hamstrung the offense, while Butler did what he could considering the talent/ football smarts level. Not sure moving Watt to the inside would have helped. Unless he was already prepared to do that to cover for Spence. Then who would take the outside? Player deficiency was more to blame on defense, while coaching deficiency was glaring on offense.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:23 pm 

Disagree. The all pros and potential HOFers are a result of good coaching as well. The coaching is missing many of the ingredients needed to make the All Pros. Why would the talent selection process work for the offense and not defense? Answer poor coaching and talent evaluation; no teaching, nurturing and consistent execution.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:36 pm 

The one thing I'll concede is that they had zero contingencies for Shaz going down. Big mistake.

Every draft pick will either succeed or fail. I think the odds of success favor the offensive player over the defensive player in the short term - with the exception of QB for obvious reasons. Then there are outliers, which aren't necessarily that easy to find. AB was a SIXTH round pick. James Harrison went un-drafted.

How many playmakers like Shaz on the defensive side of the ball exist in the entire NFL? And how do you get them consistently drafting at 28-32?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:16 pm 

StillerInCT wrote:
I really don't think enough credit is being given to Jacksonville and Blake Bortles. Our offense did everything it could to seize momentum and the Jaguars answered every single time.

It isn't like they had a difficult time against that Steelers defense. I wouldn't give Bortles and the offense too much credit. Let's see how they do against NE.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:27 pm 

Scarletfire1970 wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
I really don't think enough credit is being given to Jacksonville and Blake Bortles. Our offense did everything it could to seize momentum and the Jaguars answered every single time.

It isn't like they had a difficult time against that Steelers defense. I wouldn't give Bortles and the offense too much credit. Let's see how they do against NE.

My fear is they'll be held to 10 points. Still, Romo said the Jag-Steeler game would be close, and he said he thought the Jags were a better matchup against the Pats. At this point, let's hope so.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:57 pm 

StillerInCT wrote:

You may be right. Might not know until next season though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:57 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
The one thing I'll concede is that they had zero contingencies for Shaz going down. Big mistake.

Every draft pick will either succeed or fail. I think the odds of success favor the offensive player over the defensive player in the short term - with the exception of QB for obvious reasons. Then there are outliers, which aren't necessarily that easy to find. AB was a SIXTH round pick. James Harrison went un-drafted.

How many playmakers like Shaz on the defensive side of the ball exist in the entire NFL? And how do you get them consistently drafting at 28-32?

I think all points to it ain’t easy to be a Head Coach in the NFL, and it ain’t easy to win a SB. I am being obvious, but the fury board needs to be reminded sometimes as do I. I already had #7 in a shelf in my head.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:32 pm 

StillerInCT wrote:

You sure CT?

We had the ball TWICE down 28-21 and called some stale ass plays...punted both possessions.

We could have put more heat on BB and maybe he would have felt the pressure of a tie game and threw a duck. Anyone got the play calls on those two possessions?