It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: With the 28th Pick in the NFL Draft...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:07 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Miter Saw wrote:
Not even remotely a draftnik...horrible at forecasting college players to NFL play.

What's the projection of that LB from Georgia? Roquan Smith? Didn't watch much college football but seemed like he was always making plays when I turned on a Georgia game.

Probably long gone when the Steelers sprint to the podium.

Lmao. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:16 pm 

What a fucking disgrace this thread exists following the divisional round of playoffs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:19 pm 

FWIW, NFL Draft Scout has Evans timed at 4.7 in the 40....not great but better than Edwards out of Va Tech who they have at a 4.8...for those who tout him...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:44 pm 

KC wrote:
Scunge wrote:
I want Mike Mitchell gone and we have just as big of a need at safety.

I don't want us to just force the issue at ILB and go blindly into the draft and just be hellbent on selecting the best remaining ILB in a hurry to replace Shazier. Last draft you had Hassan Reddick, Jarrad Davis and Reuben Foster all go off the board by pick 31. Who is to say that there is not a similar run on ILB types and that by the time our 28th pick comes up we are looking at taking maybe the 4th or 5th best prospect. The difference between William Jackson the 3rd and Artie Burns is turning out to be huge. Jackson looks to have a really bright future and Burns is already facing a crossroads in his career, is he a bust in the making, or another disappointment like a Ziggy Hood or Jarvis Jones? Burns was the 5th CB taken that draft.

If there is a run on players at other positions, maybe we can get the 2nd or 3rd rated safety, that to me would be a safer bet. Go with a safety in round 1 and then in round 2 go for an ILB.

My wish list?

1st round, S, Justin Reid, Stanford, an all around safety who can do well against the run and in coverage. Has hands for INTs, had 5 INTs in 2017, his older brother is Eric Reid of the 49ers. I love the fact that it seems like he has the same thing going for him that TJ Watt enjoyed, being that he had an older brother in the NFL who has helped him polish his game. I feel like he (Justin) could come in and start as a rookie and give us a tremendous improvement over Mitchell.

2nd round ILB/OLB Darius Leonard, South Carolina State. Javon Hargrave was the MEAC defensive player of the year for two straight years, and then we drafted him. Leonard took up Hargrave's mantle and won the MEAC defensive player of the year award the past two years. Yeah, the level of competition might scare some people but not me, I feel like he will be there at the end of round 2, maybe they look to trade up some to insure that they get him, ala, Chad Brown, Kendrell Bell. He has enough size and speed and athleticism to do well inside, I feel like he too could be a rookie starter and do really well.

Hargrave sucked dick this year.

Yes he did. People talked him up like he was Joel Steed in his prime. This dude was on the receiving end of numerous ass kicking this year right now is practically worthless vs the run.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:40 pm 

Quote:
What's the projection of that LB from Georgia? Roquan Smith? Didn't watch much college football but seemed like he was always making plays when I turned on a Georgia game.

You mean the winner of the Butkus award for 2017? Yeah, I would love to have him but he is gone at 28. I live in Ga so I hear his name a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:57 pm 

I think if you look at some teams, athleticism can be overrated. False steps and misreads make the best athlete slower than dog shit.

The best defenses ARE [also] fast and athletic. But all we really need is a solid defense that's smart enough to be in the right place and play above it's athletic ability.

Except I don't know. The above describes the failed Jarvis Jones experiment. But they also failed in the other direction with Bud Dupree. Do you see evidence Tuitt, Hargrave and Heyward have been coached up or maybe improved(?) just through experience? There's a lot of evidence that the defensive coaches have failed miserably to develop or improve talent in any shape or form. I mean, has Mike Mitchell improved at all since he got here?

Worilds is only 29...maybe make a run at him and see if his bank account has gotten a little thin :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:25 pm 

FC wrote:
Quote:
Javon Hargrave

I will be shocked if he is on the roster come Sept.

Lazy
Soft
pathetic

3 best words to describe Hargraves 2017 season

Is he really a NT? Or is the coaching staff doing that square peg, round hole, Ziggy Hood thing all over again?

Agree he sucked ass this year but like others have said, none of our defensive coaches seem to have Munchak's ability to actually to coach up a guy.

Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.

Robert F. Kennedy...50 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:33 pm 

I will say my post was rather caustic.

The Steelers need to draft football players...Not athletes or potential stars after they learn the Steelers way.

Hargrave doesnt fit a 34

The concussion issues cannot be scouted or accounted for.

I think Hargrave can be a wave inside pass rusher...He doesn't fit the base defense.

I think Watt could be a potential pro bowl inside backer....He struggles with length...He is not a great fit on the edge at this point

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:04 pm 

SteelWill wrote:
FWIW, NFL Draft Scout has Evans timed at 4.7 in the 40....not great but better than Edwards out of Va Tech who they have at a 4.8...for those who tout him...

I wouldn’t draft either one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:15 pm 

1.NT VEA WASHINGTON
2.ILB VANDER ESCH BOISE
3.S REAVES S. ALABAMA
4.NONE
5A.OLB
5B.WR
6.NONE
7A.RB
7BOT

1.ILB EDMUNDS VA TECH
2.S EDMUNDS VA TECH
3.NT SETTLES VA TECH
4.NONE
5A.OLB
5B.RB
6.NONE
7A.OT
7B.WR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:52 pm 

Hopefully we have a draft like the saints had this season

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:08 pm 

cop1211 wrote:
1.NT VEA WASHINGTON
2.ILB VANDER ESCH BOISE
3.S REAVES S. ALABAMA
4.NONE
5A.OLB
5B.WR
6.NONE
7A.RB
7BOT

1.ILB EDMUNDS VA TECH
2.S EDMUNDS VA TECH
3.NT SETTLES VA TECH
4.NONE
5A.OLB
5B.RB
6.NONE
7A.OT
7B.WR

“A daily double”
I’ll take the all Hokie draft for a thousand, Alex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:15 am 

FC wrote:
I will say my post was rather caustic.

The Steelers need to draft football players...Not athletes or potential stars after they learn the Steelers way.

Hargrave doesnt fit a 34

The concussion issues cannot be scouted or accounted for.

I think Hargrave can be a wave inside pass rusher...He doesn't fit the base defense.

I think Watt could be a potential pro bowl inside backer....He struggles with length...He is not a great fit on the edge at this point

What are your thoughts on Scunge's move to a 4-3? He has Watt moving inside for instance. I like his ideas a lot on this subject.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:50 am 

Vea is not going to be there at 28. He will probably last until the 20's but he will not last until 28. I look at Tim Settle in the 2nd round and Esch in the 1st or a trade back to the early 2nd.

for the ILB it will all depend on their combine. Shazier blew-up the combine. Sub 7 second 3 cone drill. 42" vert. sub 4.4 40. I do not see that type of athlete in this draft. Smith from Georgia MIGHT get close but he is top 15. Esch is more of the Farrior type LB that is football smart. His small school status( and one year wonder tag) will allow him to fall to the Steelers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:13 am 

@ 28 Tremaine Edmunds OLB Virginia Tech
@ 62 Leighton Vander Esch ILB Boise State
@ 92 Kyzir White S West Virginia

Last edited by Steelafan77 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:26 am 

BarryFoster wrote:
What a fucking disgrace this thread exists following the divisional round of playoffs.

Late to this OP, only clicked because the other activity seemed to be slowing down, but totally agree with you, #29.

Okay, I'm not a draftnick, but I HATE...HATE...that as soon as our team's knocked out of the playoffs, there's discussion of next year, free agency, draft, etc.

Not for me....I need to spend MUCH more time wallowing in our defeat, drowning in our misery. I at LEAST need to get through the Super Bowl, gnashing my teeth, generating replays in my mind, bemoaning my team not playing on Sunday, convincing myself that Steelers would have won in Foxboro, latching onto reports of the Brady finger injury but mother-fucking the fact that Steelers could not be so lucky as to face a compromised Brady.

And then there's the calendar. Next year??? Shit...have to get through winter, my spirits will hopefully be buoyed by hockey playoffs in the Spring, then summer....and then....I HATE how the holidays always impact my football season, love when Christmas is out of the way, then we can proceed with enjoying the playoffs. Hell...we just cleared Christmas, and our season's over.

So....fuck all this talk of next year....plenty of exorcism of the current disappointment yet to go.