It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: The Best Case For Heat On Tomlin
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:56 pm 

Are things that are barely talked about.

1. Continuing to let Artie Burns make his soul-crushing mistakes on the field... with a championship team.
Yes, kid has to learn and he probably is going to grow up faster into the player it appears he can be... but it seems like there was a point there when Sutton was ready to start that you could have sat Burns down for a game or a series or two or something to reinforce the message that you make a mistake that egregious, you're going to sit. Lost in all the hoopla about a 50/50 decision where neither choice had more than a miracle chance of working is that Artie completely blew his coverage on a 3rd down play that was otherwise shut down and would have meant the Steelers got the ball back instead of giving up a TD. Not only that, his failure to locate the one deep ball he saw all day––he probably only needed to get in the vicinity of the ball to stop the extremely poor pass––turned the game yet again in favor of Jacksonville.

These crucial mistakes and blowing coverages were NOTHING new for Burns. He's been doing it in nearly every game the Steelers have played this year.

2. Should have taken away playcalling from Haley a year and a half ago, at minimum. If you're going to put your complete trust in your coordinators to call plays, then you also need to make bold moves when their playcalling doesn't add up to the best chance to win.

3. Safety and ILB were glaringly light on quality depth going into the season. Resources were spent on an overdrafted RB that mostly went unused and who was outplayed by a veteran signed off the street, a 3rd string developmental project QB, and a long-snapper who lost out to another guy off the street. I know these decision are largely organizational and not just MT but the lack of attention to these two problems ended up destroying a Super Bowl contender's chances at a Lombardi.

4. Gameplans showed some more variety this season compared to last but still were overly conservative on both sides. I can see both sides to the argument about what type of strategy you should have when you have some outlier talent but, if there's one thing that's clear, it's that this Steelers offense as presently construed is giving the opponent a break every time they run it or throw it horizontally. The Steelers defense is giving the opponent the win anytime it is passive in approach. If this is heavily influenced by the choices/plans of coordinators, then as stated above, it has to end. You have a team that makes mistakes, you have to be aggressive and allow them opportunities to answer those mistakes with great plays.

5. Should have put more pressure on assistants to use everybody and get them on the field looks throughout the year. Back before he started being a grouse, James Harrison should have been seeing reps. Brian Allen didn't get a single snap on D this year. Not one. He's the only defensive player who didn't get one, even in blowouts.

6. Never seems fully committed to building a team around his best asset: 7. Give Ben the keys, build a defense that's good enough to get off the field and make an occasional splash play, don't get enamored with running or throwing horizontally, don't be afraid of mistakes.

I think MT is above average NFL coach in the stuff that gets bandied about here... clock, decisions, replays, demeanor. Of course, all of that is debatable and improvement is clearly possible. I actually don't think he's too far off in player management, either. Mike Mitchell (JAX week and more), AB (FB live from locker room), Bell (talking next year's contract during playoffs), Bryant (trade requests) really let him down this last year or so but the trust he puts in the players overall pays off I think. It's like hating Ben's mistakes without realizing that they come with the great plays. I think you make an example of Mike Mitchell, because he's expendable and AB/Bryant/Bell are not.

Anyway, come up with any kind of workable formula on defense and unleash Ben... chances are pretty good this team has a run in them.

Post subject: Re: The Best Case For Heat On Tomlin
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:17 pm 

I love number 4.

AB let Tomlin down? Because of the temper tantrum early on?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:21 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
I love number 4.

Agreed. Good post overall B2B but im not getting that with respect to AB or even Bell, actually any of the outbursts or outlandish stuff of any player also goes back to Tomlin anyway because thats his locker room culture, he enables these guys to act and speak out stuff thats unimportant or even contrary to winning

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:23 pm 

How many passes defended did artie burns have? I saw him make a couple of crucial plays. Not excusing his brain fart on the long pass that eventually led to a TD. That was inexcusable. But it seems to me Mitchell exposes more of burns' flaws. Aside from being soft in the run game.

And yeah, How did AB let tomlin down?

Last edited by COR-TEN on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:26 pm 

Unless you hire a disciplinarian or a veteran head coach, any new HC will just fawn over and try and curry favor with Ben, Bell, AB, Bryant etc.

And if you do hire a disciplinarian or veteran head coach, he's gonna whip all these guys into shape because they all display some lack of discipline on and/or off the field. That won't work at all.

The grass is always greener...but really...who out there is an improvement? Who out there is going to whip this team into shape to make that final push?

For the sake of argument, would it have been Gruden?

Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.

Robert F. Kennedy...50 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:30 pm 

This stupid bug-eyed fuck isn't going anywhere.

Just gotta hope he drops dead or decides he doesn't want to get exposed for the dimwit he most certainly is and hangs 'em up when Roethlisberger does.

Those are the only 2 slivers of hope we have.

I'll bet you are.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:33 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
I love number 4.

FB live from locker room

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:34 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
How many passes defended did artie burns have? I saw him make a couple of crucial plays. Not excusing his brain fart on the long pass that eventually led to a TD. That was inexcusable. But it seems to me Mitchell exposes more of burns' flaws. Aside from being soft in the run game.

And yeah, How did AB let tomlin down?

I was more upset with Burns on the Yeldon 3rd down play than the long pass. It's exactly that kind of brainfart dumping my coverage zone mistake he makes every week.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:40 pm 

Very well done B2B. A great synopsis of Tomlin's errors by a Tomlin supporter.

Tell me more about your 'horizontal' offense thoughts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:40 pm 

ChicagoSteel wrote:
Unless you hire a disciplinarian or a veteran head coach, any new HC will just fawn over and try and curry favor with Ben, Bell, AB, Bryant etc.

And if you do hire a disciplinarian or veteran head coach, he's gonna whip all these guys into shape because they all display some lack of discipline on and/or off the field. That won't work at all.

The grass is always greener...but really...who out there is an improvement? Who out there is going to whip this team into shape to make that final push?

For the sake of argument, would it have been Gruden?

I think this is the reality of where we're at. Ownership and players are way better off in short term trying to affect change with present HC than they would be with virtually any change there. There's a miniscule possibility you could find a HC to step in and upgrade but that's an awfully big risk.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next