It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:09 pm 

What an embarrassment. A half hour of bullshit sound bites is nothing new, but his responses to direct questions were just awful.

The questions started out centered around all of the talk by him and his team. The Dungy interview. Mitchell and Bells quotes. The guarantees of victory and the obsession with the Patriots. Tomlin shrugged it all off as media creations. Never took ownership of his words or the fact that he doesn’t coach his players not to make statement of disrespect to opponents. All the Jags could talk about after that game was how the Steelers words and actions served as a rallying point of motivation for them. Tomlin blows it off. He gets directly asked about Mitchell stalking the Jags locker room before the game tainting them. Tomlin said it was no big deal. Bullshit like that reflects poorly on the organization, the owners, the fans, the team, the brand, and the head coach. Mike thinks it’s no big deal.

The second round of questions centered around the horrid 4th and short play calls. You have a QB who is 18 for 19in his career on sneaks, best in the NFL by a mile since 2004 and you haven’t run a single sneak in 3 full season? He said they are not opposed to it. Ben said he wants to run the ball. Tomlin lets it slip that there is fear of people diving into Pounceys legs and of Ben getting hurt. Lose playoff games over fear of injury on a sneak. Fear of Injury never led him to teach Ryan Clark or Mike Mitchell or Ryan Shazier how to tackle without launching their head and neck into somebody.

He was also asked to evaluate the offense and the defense and coaching. His answers lead me to believe that there will indeed be changes as he was non-committal to any of the coaches. He also hinted at a retirement by Richard Mann and was asked about Hines Ward possibly being his replacement which Tomlin had no response.

Lastly this was the first time I ever heard shakiness and Mike Tomlin‘s voice. The usual confidence he speaks with was gone and he sounded like a man under much pressure. With the pro football talk report that some owners want him fired you have to wonder if where there is smoke there is fire. 10 years with a Hall of Fame QB and no rings is a big big problem .

Post subject: Re: Tomlin end of season presser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:18 pm 

Thanks Perch for the recap. Interesting about his voice being notably shaky. This was a bad bad bad loss and above all else was an exemplar of everything wrong with this team, pretty much all season. Record be damned, sloppiness, unprepared, DISTRACTIONS, failure to make good decisions when the bullets are flying, lack of adjustments, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:24 pm 

Thanks for the recap..did you mean iwner or owners when mentioning Tomlins job security? Nice to hear its not just haley on the hotseat, id fire butler and the master bullshitter as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:30 pm 

It boggles my mind that Tomlin and Mitchell are so tight, that even at this juncture Tomlin can’t admit that letting Mitchell run around pre game talking shit is problematic.

For years now, I’ve been arguing with people on this message board about what Tomlin actually does as a head coach. I’ll ask, “what does he actually do?” We go back and forth, so on and so on. By all accounts the players love playing for Tomlin, but to me it’s clear as day the reason they like it is because he lets them do whatever the fuck they want.

Can we all agree his best “asset” is what is actually hurting this team? We don’t need him to be a buddy to these guys, commenting about how they are going to go beat “those assholes” in New England. We need a coach to reel these guys in and start handling their shit like professionals.

We are stuck in Tomlin pergatory.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:33 pm 

SP wrote:
Lastly this was the first time I ever heard shakiness and Mike Tomlin‘s voice. The usual confidence he speaks with was gone and he sounded like a man under much pressure.

I didn't hear, but could that just be tremendous disappointment at a blown opportunity? It probably stings doubly that they didn't even make it to the AFCC for a rematch with NE.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:37 pm 

Quote:
Tomlin lets it slip that there is fear of people diving into Pounceys legs and of Ben getting hurt. Lose playoff games over fear of injury on a sneak.

So where are the posters who claim others are bedwetters now?

This is the kind of shit that makes your bladder weak at night

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:38 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
It boggles my mind that Tomlin and Mitchell are so tight, that even at this juncture Tomlin can’t admit that letting Mitchell run around pre game talking shit is problematic.

For years now, I’ve been arguing with people on this message board about what Tomlin actually does as a head coach. I’ll ask, “what does he actually do?” We go back and forth, so on and so on. By all accounts the players love playing for Tomlin, but to me it’s clear as day the reason they like it is because he lets them do whatever the fuck they want.

Can we all agree his best “asset” is what is actually hurting this team? We don’t need him to be a buddy to these guys, commenting about how they are going to go beat “those assholes” in New England. We need a coach to reel these guys in and start handling their shit like professionals.

Tomlin allows them to do whatevwr rhe fuck they want, and im sure porter is right in their ear encouraging it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:38 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:

This bothers me almost more than anything. I guess the only thing to really say is wait and see if Mitchell isn't back next year (and given his cap number and play, this already should have been the case).

They gave JAX a lot of bulletin board material, and they CLEARLY took motivation from it. When you disrespect people like that, they might just end-up wanting it more and come out and bully you like they did.

Yeah, there are so many things wrong with Mike Mitchell taunting them outside their locker room...but not much worse than the fact it's just a real POS thing to do as a professional athlete. This from a guy who hasn't made a play in at least a couple of years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:49 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Thanks for the recap..did you mean iwner or owners when mentioning Tomlins job security? Nice to hear its not just haley on the hotseat, id fire butler and the master bullshitter as well.

Perch is talking about this story.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ng-change/

If true...wow!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:51 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

If true...wow!

Interesting...thats got to be some other john stallworth thats mentioned in the article right?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:55 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Quote:
Tomlin lets it slip that there is fear of people diving into Pounceys legs and of Ben getting hurt. Lose playoff games over fear of injury on a sneak.

So where are the posters who claim others are bedwetters now?

This is the kind of shit that makes your bladder weak at night

It's entirely possible to intelligently discuss the negative aspects of a team without throwing a childish temper tantrum while doing so.

I'm all for the former. The latter makes me want to agree with the fans of other teams when they call Pittsburgh fans the whiniest in the country.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:56 pm 

I think one of the primary reasons Tomlin won't be canned is because ownership knows it was by their heavy hand that Haley was on the staff.

At minimum, they'll give him a shot with a full staff of his guys before the threat to fire is real.

I do like that his seat is uncomfortable.

Probably not a popular opinion, but I don't think firing Tomlin is the ideal option here. I'd much prefer that Tomlin admit (to himself) and learn from the littany of mistakes he's made. I'd much rather he rekindle that notebook geekish persona he came into the position with when he thought he had to prove something. Guess what Mike, you do have to prove yourself again...and when you do, you'll have to do it again.

If this isn't a wake up call, he'll never have one.

He has a lot to offer. Even former (non-steeler) players say they'd love to play for him. I'd rather have a reinvented Tomlin than a new hire at this point in time.

I don't know if that will happen.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:58 pm 

31 other teams in the league run a QB sneak...including the GOAT Brady.

And the QB sneak has been in the league for many years.

But we’re worried about possible injuries to our center and QB?

Seriously?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:23 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:

Look, I don’t wanna be defending Tomlin here, in the least. If he was fired tomorrow, I wouldn’t be upset. But, people that claim the man has no value, what you are doing, and question what he exactly does baffle me.

Do you think he just bumblefucked his way to 117 regular season wins, 2 SB appearances and a rebuild? I’m being serious.

Look around the league. What does a successful HC look like to you? Cause I can name at least half a dozen teams that would like to know.

The guy quite possibly has limitations that will forever keep him from getting to the SB. But, you’re being disingenuous if you can’t at least acknowledge all the traits and qualities the man does have that have contributed to his and the Steelers success.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:28 pm 

"It's how you play, not what you say," - Tom Brady

Not sure how everyone in the league doesn't get this by now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:30 pm 

randomsteelerfan wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Look, I don’t wanna be defending Tomlin here, in the least. If he was fired tomorrow, I wouldn’t be upset. But, people that claim the man has no value, what you are doing, and question what he exactly does baffle me.

Do you think he just bumblefucked his way to 117 regular season wins, 2 SB appearances and a rebuild? I’m being serious.

Look around the league. What does a successful HC look like to you? Cause I can name at least half a dozen teams that would like to know.

The guy quite possibly has limitations that will forever keep him from getting to the SB. But, you’re being disingenuous if you can’t at least acknowledge all the traits and qualities the man does have that have contributed to his and the Steelers success.

So you don't find the Tomlin-is-Forest-Gump thesis plausible? You don't think he is merely the beneficiary of "dong wins"? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:30 pm 

Tomlin is fine as HC, he'll probably learn a huge lesson from this loss. He'll have a long time to reflect on it. I still believe the OC has to go. While I know the melt down was on the defense, they do not have the depth of talent the offense has.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:32 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

If true...wow!

Interesting...thats got to be some other john stallworth thats mentioned in the article right?

It is number 82. He has a successful business in Alabama.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:34 pm 

randomsteelerfan wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

+1 By all means criticize Tomlin's mistakes, but this "Tomlin contributes nothing to the team" stuff is ridiculous.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:45 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
randomsteelerfan wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

So you don't find the Tomlin-is-Forest-Gump thesis plausible? You don't think he is merely the beneficiary of "dong wins"? :lol:

“Dong wins”. I love it. Natural progression from the “dong sack”, I suppose.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:46 pm 

I’ve praised Tomlin for his regular season, threw some shade his way after the monumental loss to NE which likely added to the demise of this season, but overall see that he has value.

What I said was the thing that people refer to as his greatest attribute is what I argue may be the biggest thing holding them back. So is it impressive that tomlin has won all of those regular season games and hasn’t been to a super bowl (one he lost) in 8 plus years, or is that a failure? Don’t you think years from now the narrative will overwhelmingly be “what could have been”?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:49 pm 

I cut Tomlin some slack for a few years because I saw they needed to do rebuilding and that can take a few years. By now the rebuild should be complete, and we should be competing for super bowls. I guess you could say we are. We've been in the playoffs four years in a row now, but the defense is clearly still a mess and not where I'd hoped it would be.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:51 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
I’ve praised Tomlin for his regular season, threw some shade his way after the monumental loss to NE which likely added to the demise of this season, but overall see that he has value.

What I said was the thing that people refer to as his greatest attribute is what I argue may be the biggest thing holding them back. So is it impressive that tomlin has won all of those regular season games and hasn’t been to a super bowl (one he lost) in 8 plus years, or is that a failure? Don’t you think years from now the narrative will overwhelmingly be “what could have been”?

Absolutely. It makes me sick Ben, Bell and AB May not get back to the SB because of this coaching staffs inadequacies. Make no mistake, it’s Tomlin and the staff holding this team back.

After what AB and Ben did on Sunday, “what could have been?” is in the forefront of my mind. So frustrating.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:52 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
By all means criticize Tomlin's mistakes, but this "Tomlin contributes nothing to the team" stuff is ridiculous.

Sure....but his game day blunders and mismanagement do a lot to negate what he gets done Mon-Sat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:57 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
I cut Tomlin some slack for a few years because I saw they needed to do rebuilding and that can take a few years. By now the rebuild should be complete, and we should be competing for super bowls. I guess you could say we are. We've been in the playoffs four years in a row now, but the defense is clearly still a mess and not where I'd hoped it would be.

Tomlin got a lot of shit he didn’t necessarily deserve prior to 2016, imo. He wasn’t blameless, but the whole “we have a 1st ballot HOFer” reasoning is just shallow and weak. He needed to give Ben a team. And he did.

But, last years AFCCG was pretty much the last straw for me and Tomlin. This year only cemented that for me. He has monumental flaws that will continue to get exposed at the highest levels of the NFL and will prevent him from winning unless he miraculously gets bailed out by the talent on his roster.