It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This is Tomlin's defense. What else do you need to know?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:43 pm 

On his twitter account Jim Wexell is telling everyone that Tomlin has as much input to the defense as Butler does which is why he won't fire Butler- it would basically be firing himself because he is responsible for the defense.

What the fuck else does anyone need to know about Mike Tomlin? This defense got its ass handed to it like no other I can remember in a Steeler playoff game. A one dimensional attack with a good(NOT GREAT) running back pounded the shit out of this defense at home when we knew all they could do was run. But we were so inept stopping the run we actually opened the play action game up for Blake Bortles. Did anyone see the Jaguars the previous week? It is a serious question.

How the hell is this defense supposed to get better if the same coaches will be teaching players and responsible for schemes next year. Even with a draft pick or free agent signing, this defense has major problems with the same cast of coaches coming back.

Post subject: Re: This is Tomlin's defense. What else do you need to know?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:47 pm 

redmanrumbles wrote:
On his twitter account Jim Wexell is telling everyone that Tomlin has as much input to the defense as Butler does which is why he won't fire Butler- it would basically be firing himself because he is responsible for the defense.

What the fuck else does anyone need to know about Mike Tomlin? This defense got its ass handed to it like no other I can remember in a Steeler playoff game. A one dimensional attack with a good(NOT GREAT) running back pounded the shit out of this defense at home when we knew all they could do was run. But we were so inept stopping the run we actually opened the play action game up for Blake Bortles. Did anyone see the Jaguars the previous week? It is a serious question.

How the hell is this defense supposed to get better if the same coaches will be teaching players and responsible for schemes next year. Even with a draft pick or free agent signing, this defense has major problems with the same cast of coaches coming back.

I'm done.

Mods, how do I change my handle to FT?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:48 pm 

Actually in watching that game again, the focus of the gameplan was to keep Bortles in the pocket and not necessarily to beat blocks and get to Fournette in the backfield before he picks up steam. Way to much thinking, reading and reacting as opposed to attacking.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:50 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Actually in watching that game again, the focus of the gameplan was to keep Bortles in the pocket and not necessarily to beat blocks and get to Fournette in the backfield before he picks up steam. Way to much thinking, reading and reacting as opposed to attacking.

Weird bc I recall Bortles scampering for yardage on a few occasions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:51 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

ya i didnt say they did a bang up job of said gameplan jsut that seemed to be the focus of it.

Last edited by GreekSteel on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:55 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

ya i didnt say they did a bang up job of said gameplan jsut that was semed to be the focus of it.

We're on the same page.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:59 pm 

It's my biggest concern with Tomlin

D has been bad in past with him (old, slow..etc), but once Lebeau was gone I said I'd give him a few years with "his guy", "his D".

D is not good.

Now I find myself saying same thing with O. By most accounts, Haley was not his guy, so he'll get a chance with "his guy". But my God if the results end up being the same as the D...

As far as not firing Butler because of this, not sure how much stock I put into that. Most head coaches have a specialty that they contribute more heavily towards than the other side of the ball (I presume). Some coaches are known as "offensive", some "defensive". But the coordinators are fired anyway. Perhaps it plays out as Wexell says, but it's not necessarily a given the way he is putting it.

But if Wexell is correct in the distinction that Tomlin won't fire a DC because of his input into the D....then maybe we can infer that Tomlin gave his OC more flexibility and didn't have much input there and that speculation (by some here) was accurate.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:01 pm 

redmanrumbles wrote:

Not making excuses, but did you notice that the entire front 7 was pushed around by Jax? Jax was not just more physical, but they were pushing the defense wherever they wanted to put them. As the two teams currently stand, this matchup would yield similar results in the trenches over and over. This does not excuse poor defense on screens and missed tackles that turned losses into 20, 30, 40 yard gains. Fournette is a bonafide beast, but having a free run at our undersized ILB's makes him look a lot bigger. When Dupree is either replaced or coached better, along with the ILB corps restocked - this will all play out differently. This matchup is a very tough one for the Steelers defense - even worse when miscues happen repeatedly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:01 pm 

I think it's mostly on the players. Playing the run is mostly want-to, not scheme. We got our asses handed to us up front. Could we have sold out scheme-wise even more? Sure, but I'm not sure to what degree it would have helped.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:02 pm 

Tell me a young player that looked better this year. I think Hargrave and Burns definitely regressed. At best Sean Davis remained the same. And I dare anyone to take the time to actually just rewatch some games and focus on Bud Dupree. The guy is horrible. He has no push and all too often gets collapsed in the run game. And while Watt flashed at times he is by no means a guarantee either(at least not with the coaches around to groom him)

And I'm sorry. I love Cam Heyward. But for the money invested in him and Tuitt they just aren't destructive enough. Was Tuitt hurt all year. Because he was JUST A GUY way too much down the stretch. If Tomlin is in fact intent on making this his personal project I don't see how the hell we get better to the degree we need to get better. You need a lot of help on that defense. Even leaving the defensive line alone(which you really shouldn't because Hargrave is a major liablity in the run game) you need 2 inside backers("Bince" isn't a starter) you need a free safety and you really need to get an outside backer. Is Dupree's light finally going to come on next year.