It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: This is Tomlin's defense. What else do you need to know?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:07 pm 

stillenigma wrote:
I think it's mostly on the players. Playing the run is mostly want-to, not scheme. We got our asses handed to us up front. Could we have sold out scheme-wise even more? Sure, but I'm not sure to what degree it would have helped.

Well in my opinion we have major problems then. I can't remember an asskicking like this. Fred Taylor racked up some yards in 99 but there is too many picks and money invested for this stuff to be happening. Doesn't Tomlin have a lot of input into what defensive players we select? If so, why the hell should we expect us to all the sudden find some players with want to in this next draft.

I'm not saying this is all on Tomlin. But I definitely think he is a major part of the problem. And shamefully, I think there's a damn good chance Ben's clock expires before these guys get it right. Quite frankly, I don't foresee Tomlin and Butler ever getting this shit right. What logical reason is there to suggest- Mike and Keith will fix this next year(or even in 2019??)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:09 pm 

I'm sorry but here's another thing. For the people talking about a bad matchup. Are people actually suggesting that given 2 weeks to prepare there aren't coaches (with the exact same players Tomlin and Butler had to work with) who could not have devised a plan to stop Fournette, Bortles, that Olne and receivers at home?? Seriously, does anyone truly believe that?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:23 pm 

We were shown what the “standard” is years ago.

Nothing has or will change and we will continue to be a paper tiger and postseason pushover & pretender.

This idiot can’t even put a mediocre defensive product on the field.

NE doesn’t have a vaunted defense and I bet the the Jville offesne looks like the the Jville offense again.

Last game I went to was the 43-23 Sunday Night Football beatdown we laid on Baltimore back in 2014. Was thinking about planning a trip for next season and was talking about it with fam before the game.

No way in hell I’m buying plane tickets, rental car, hotel, tix for game etc for a team that so grossly underachieves and then thinks those results are simply the result of a lil execution error here or there.

Losses happen. But whatever have are head in the sand losses with a coach that hasn’t a freaking clue how to get this team to the next level.

Worse is that he is actually a negative detractor from performance.

Last edited by 955876 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:24 pm 

Wasn’t Tuitt literally hurt on the first defensive series the first game of the year @ Cleveland?

Me thinks there is something seriously wrong with that guy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:27 pm 

stillenigma wrote:
I think it's mostly on the players. Playing the run is mostly want-to, not scheme. We got our asses handed to us up front. Could we have sold out scheme-wise even more? Sure, but I'm not sure to what degree it would have helped.
I'm in agreement with you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:28 pm 

He may be right in this instance, but Wexell has very little credibility for me on football matters.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:37 pm 

Bradshaw2Ben made this point in another thread. "Safety and ILB were glaringly light on quality depth going into the season." Then we lost Shazier, and the middle of the D couldn't handle it. Hargrave was sick or hurt in the Jaguar game, which made it worse. Some of the blame for the defense needs to go to Colbert.

My feeling is Tomlin takes too long to make adjustments. Belecheat says if you wait for half time to make adjustments, it is too late. I don't understand keeping all of the defensive coaches. We took way to long to adjust.

You can understand the hole caused by losing Shazier. Players like him are not sitting around waiting to be signed. I don't blame the coaches for that. But we better fix up the middle in the off season.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:42 pm 

jewelsongs wrote:
Bradshaw2Ben made this point in another thread. "Safety and ILB were glaringly light on quality depth going into the season." Then we lost Shazier, and the middle of the D couldn't handle it. Hargrave was sick or hurt in the Jaguar game, which made it worse. Some of the blame for the defense needs to go to Colbert.

My feeling is Tomlin takes too long to make adjustments. Belecheat says if you wait for half time to make adjustments, it is too late. I don't understand keeping all of the defensive coaches. We took way to long to adjust.

You can understand the hole caused by losing Shazier. Players like him are not sitting around waiting to be signed. I don't blame the coaches for that. But we better fix up the middle in the off season.

Tomlin makes adjustment? I never knew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:46 pm 

redmanrumbles wrote:
jewelsongs wrote:

Tomlin makes adjustment? I never knew

Yes. Everyone knows how your underwear can bunch up...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:46 pm 

redmanrumbles wrote:
I'm sorry but here's another thing. For the people talking about a bad matchup. Are people actually suggesting that given 2 weeks to prepare there aren't coaches (with the exact same players Tomlin and Butler had to work with) who could not have devised a plan to stop Fournette, Bortles, that Olne and receivers at home?? Seriously, does anyone truly believe that?

No. They could devise a plan. But some teams DO struggle against others because of matchup considerations. That doesn't absolve this team for what transpired this past weekend.

But it does explain why a team like Buffalo could hold Jax to 10 and Pitt struggle more against Jax than Buffalo did. It does not explain or excuse the extent to which the Steelers struggled (shit the bed).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next