It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:58 pm 

W&M_Steeler wrote:
In 1998, who would have guessed that in 20 years three members of the 4-8 Arkansas State Red Wolves football team coaching staff would be the Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, and Defense Coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers? Weird.

In another thread it was pointed out that how can it be the best candidates for assistant coaching jobs on the team are former steeler players.

Well...this factoid by WM extends that...how is it possible that the 3 best candidates for the top 3 coaching positions on the team were members of the 1998 arkansas state red wolves coaching staff.

I can't wrap my mind around this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:04 am 

My takeaway is that the steelers ran the no-huddle less than 1/5 of the time in 2017, despite it being incredibly successful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:00 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
My takeaway is that the steelers ran the no-huddle less than 1/5 of the time in 2017, despite it being incredibly successful.

I really thought it fell off a cliff in the last 2 years....but appears to have been pretty consistent. And that's more the last two years than I would have guessed.

I'd like to see how often NE runs it. I don't think it's a gimmick, but I'm also not sure you can run such a limited playbook more often. On the other hand, it's like 1.5 drives a game...which is mostly halftime and/or the end of a game you're trailing.

As I type this, I think this is the wrong analysis. The old "muddle huddle" is what we should be talking about - getting to the line quickly, with Ben calling the play. Not the classic hurry-up you see in a two minute drill, but pace pace pace with Ben calling the plays.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:23 am 

Even in the most dire situation this franchise operates with total class. Not firing Haley even though it was warranted but instead just not rehiring him, classy. Cost this franchise a shot at the championship I think but policy and procedure overrule that I guess. Congrats Fichtner.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:33 am 

I’m really glad Todd Haley is gone but no changes on the defensive staff is unconscionable.

Name me one player either Porter or Lake have developed into something better than they were when they came into the league.

How is it that several WEEKS after Shazier went down the Steelers were STILL struggling with communication on defense? Is Butler’s defense really that hard for the players to grasp?

I mean...blame the lack of skill all you want, but many of the defensive lapses I saw this year were MENTAL breakdowns. That’s why I thought the defense might not be all that bad...clean up the mistakes, and it could at least be passable, which is all we really needed.

But the mistakes were never cleaned up...and that has to be on the coaches.

PS I will caveat that with saying I know the Jags beat the shit out of the Steelers’ front seven...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:42 am 

I think it's a combination jeems. I think the position staff are less than ideal. I also think that players are soft. I think they believe they don't have to practice wrapping up tackling since they don't have traditional practices anymore. It's not a staple in practices. Today's practices are walkthroughs compared to what they were in the past. That's why tackling is atrocious and results in more injuries. Players are throwing themselves at other players instead of practicing the very fundamental wrap up tackle technique. Complacency.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:51 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I think it's a combination jeems. I think the position staff are less than ideal. I also think that players are soft. I think they believe they don't have to practice wrapping up tackling since they don't have traditional practices anymore. It's not a staple in practices. Today's practices are walkthroughs compared to what they were in the past. That's why tackling is atrocious and results in more injuries. Players are throwing themselves at other players instead of practicing the very fundamental wrap up tackle technique. Complacency.

The worst part is apparently the Steelers had at least three practices in pads leading up to the game, from what I heard reported.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:55 am 

Jeemie wrote:
I’m really glad Todd Haley is gone but no changes on the defensive staff is unconscionable.

Name me one player either Porter or Lake have developed into something better than they were when they came into the league.

How is it that several WEEKS after Shazier went down the Steelers were STILL struggling with communication on defense? Is Butler’s defense really that hard for the players to grasp?

I mean...blame the lack of skill all you want, but many of the defensive lapses I saw this year were MENTAL breakdowns. That’s why I thought the defense might not be all that bad...clean up the mistakes, and it could at least be passable, which is all we really needed.

PS I will caveat that with saying I know the Jags beat the shit out of the Steelers’ front seven...

Someone posted about this team having low football IQ in the LB corp and secondary. Seems that they went all the way athletic and speed w/ limited brains. I believe this is why Shazier was such an asset. Football smart and athletic and he helped cover a multitude of ineptitude out on the field.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:43 am 

Jeemie wrote:

Why didnt Tomlin fire anyone of the defensive side of the ball??? Because get this he apperently made most of the calls on defense this season, this is his defense, his players, his development of players, his calls...all of it..its all on Tomlin.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:45 am 

Quote:
Bouchette: There was some surprise no coaching change was forthcoming on defense, but if that were to occur, Tomlin might have to start with himself. He called many of the defensive plays from the sideline this season. He also took charge of many of the secondary meetings and those with the entire defense.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:59 am 

I'm excited to see what Fichtner can do.

I hope Tomlin stays out of the offense. This concerns me at this point in Tomlin's career.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:03 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

The worst part is apparently the Steelers had at least three practices in pads leading up to the game, from what I heard reported.

I think that's exactly why I was so hopeful (confident?) about this game. Tomlin took the reasonable approach of having his team practice actual hitting for an offense that is run heavy.

Did his players on D fail him? Yup surely, but Tomlin didn't help mitigate the disaster and that was his failure on Sunday

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:02 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Quote:
Bouchette: There was some surprise no coaching change was forthcoming on defense, but if that were to occur, Tomlin might have to start with himself. He called many of the defensive plays from the sideline this season. He also took charge of many of the secondary meetings and those with the entire defense.

That's pretty much Exhibit 1 for Tomlin's termination

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:09 pm 

Havoc wrote:

I hope Tomlin stays out of the offense. This concerns me at this point in Tomlin's career.

The offense will barely change.

I think Haley was fired primarily bc Tomlin disliked him.

What I hope is that Fichtner will fix the red zone issues and not call head scratching plays.

Maybe run a QB sneak now and then. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:13 pm 

I'm starting to come around to player development and drafting being a bigger issue than playcalling on D. Their scheme was better and more complex this year compared to last... but it was undermined by LBs and CBs and Ss making MEs and DL getting overpowered at times.

In other words, I think it was more Jimmies and Joes on defense, and more coaching/playcalling on offense.

Of course, Tomlin and Colbert and scouts and assistant coaches to a degree all share blame for selecting the Jimmies and Joes. But some of those guys are quite young, especially as NFL players (Burns, Dupree, Watt, Hargrave, Davis, even Vince and whomever they played at ILB).

I want to see a change at FS, I want to see an open competition at RDB with Burns challenged by Sutton. I want some reps on D with Brian Allen as the dime CB William Gay was playing. I want to see a concerted effort to improve NT, coverage ILB, Safety starter and depth, via both FA and draft. I think those would be the best coaching moves possible-- more important than the defensive structure or defensive plays called. A willingness to explore options instead of trotting out the same guys and expecting a different result.

And for god's sake, cut some dead weight that eats up cap space.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:13 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Quote:

Wow that's bad. Maybe he should go back to being a potted plant.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:14 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Havoc wrote:

People were high on Fitchner because of what he did with the 2-pt plays.....Then we had reversion to the mean, and everyone realized we never ran the ball on any of those plays. So the one thing he could hang his hat on ends up being a pretty short rack.

Otherwise, I think it was the Fitchner/Ben show the 2nd half of the year and I'm good with that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:17 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Havoc wrote:

What I hope is that Fichtner will fix the red zone issues and not call head scratching plays.

All he has to do is let Ben call more plays and scheme up a good situational play for a few situations per game and it would make a huge difference. If, on top of that, he runs as a complement to the vertical pass game, it could be epic. I'm telling you, the vertical pass game of the past couple of months is as good as anything I've ever seen in the NFL. They literally were afraid to live and die with it until they got behind in games-- and got away from it the moment they had the lead-- and it still was almost enough to get them to the AFCCG.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:18 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Havoc wrote:

People were high on Fitchner because of what he did with the 2-pt plays.....Then we had reversion to the mean, and everyone realized we never ran the ball on any of those plays. So the one thing he could hang his hat on ends up being a pretty short rack.

Otherwise, I think it was the Fitchner/Ben show the 2nd half of the year and I'm good with that.

Bolded is my feeling as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:32 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I'm telling you, the vertical pass game of the past couple of months is as good as anything I've ever seen in the NFL.

Agreed.

By the way, I used to say Bradshaw's deep ball was a little overrated or you wouldn't have all those highlight reel catches from Swann and Stallworth......so Terry is talking on one of those videos, and maybe he's trolling me but he said the same thing almost verbatim!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:46 pm 

DP39 wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

Bolded is my feeling as well.

Yes, that makes me hopeful for next year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:56 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Havoc wrote:

All he has to do is let Ben call more plays and scheme up a good situational play for a few situations per game and it would make a huge difference. If, on top of that, he runs as a complement to the vertical pass game, it could be epic. I'm telling you, the vertical pass game of the past couple of months is as good as anything I've ever seen in the NFL. They literally were afraid to live and die with it until they got behind in games-- and got away from it the moment they had the lead-- and it still was almost enough to get them to the AFCCG.

If this is the offense Fichtner wants to run, is Tomlin going to allow it?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:08 pm 

Havoc wrote:
If this is the offense Fichtner wants to run, is Tomlin going to allow it?

I've been pondering how much autonomy an OC has under Tomlin. I know Arians's offense looked a lot different than Haley's. I guess at this point we're hoping that OC's have vast autonomy under Tomlin, that the weaknesses of our O were Haley's fault, and that Fichtner is a lot better of an OC.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:14 am 

Quote:
Fichtner has already talked to several Steelers players about some tweaks to the offense. Roethlisberger gave a few hints Wednesday about what those tweaks might be, including going back to some things that were successful when Bruce Arians coordinated the offense from 2007-11.

“There might be some stuff that would go back to what we had with the B.A. system,” Roethlisberger said “Just tweak a couple of things, nothing drastic. We’ll go back to some things. I think we’ll take the best of both worlds. We’ll do stuff that Randy has done in the past. We’ll do some Todd stuff. We’ll use some B.A. stuff. We’ll just kind of take what we all think is best and try to mush them together and create a finished product.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:39 am 

What I'd really like to see is an effective PA game again. Ben used to be great at it. With the receivers, OL and threat of Bell....I have ZERO idea why we aren't good at it.

And Ben allegedly saying he doesn't like PA because he doesn't like turning his back to the defense is another "WTF, Ben?!?" comment.