It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:14 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Ive read that the Haley wasnt only rubbing Ben the wrong way but Tomlin as well, I guess EMR said no firing him, wait til seasons end and dont rehire him, and it didnt take Tomlin long at all to issue a very bland and quick statement.

I'd be interested to read that article? Do you have a link?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:43 pm 

Obviously wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
Ive read that the Haley wasnt only rubbing Ben the wrong way but Tomlin as well, I guess EMR said no firing him, wait til seasons end and dont rehire him, and it didnt take Tomlin long at all to issue a very bland and quick statement.

ill try to find it and post it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:07 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Obviously wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

ill try to find it and post it

Appreciate it, Greek!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:50 pm 

Ben has to be frustrating with the antics from this team and lack of response from his head coach

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:24 pm 

Quote:
By Mark Kaboly 1 hour ago
It took weeks for both Todd Haley and Ben Roethlisberger to connect the last time the Steelers hired an offensive coordinator. It's a safe bet that won't be the case this time around.

The Steelers promoted longtime quarterback coach Randy Fichtner to lead the Steelers' offense 24 hours after informing Haley that they weren't going to offer him a contract extension after six years with the Steelers.

While Roethlisberger and Haley butted heads on some level from the beginning, that won't be the case with the 54-year-old Fichtner, who has been working closely with Roethlisberger for the past eight seasons. It's believed that Roethlisberger was partly responsible for the departure of Haley and the promotion of Fichtner.

“We have fun together. We've spent a lot of time together,” Fichtner said.

Fichtner spoke glowingly of Roethlisberger during an interview with The Athletic in November marveling at the quarterback's work ethic and his love of the game while laughing at some outside perspective that Roethlisberger's ability was on the decline.

“His in-helmet perspective in the game is irreplaceable because he has so many reps,” Fichtner said. “He's thrown for 50,000 yards. That's just a lot of plays. A lot of seeing of the defense. That's a lot of having a play called, knowing when he sees a look and believes that it is the right thing to do.”

Fichtner will take over the offense but Roethlisberger will surely have a big say in the game plan beforehand and also in-game. Over the past few years, Roethlisberger has taken more control of the offense even if Haley has been somewhat reluctant to relinquish some of his play-calling responsibilities.

Fichtner and Roethlisberger get along so well that it was Roethlisberger who lobbied Mike Tomlin to move Fichtner from the press box to the field midway through the season.

While there was a CBS report before the Christmas day game against the Texans saying the move was created to provide a buffer between the feuding Haley and Roethlisberger, it was also partly for Roethlisberger to have his somebody to talk to face-to-face when he came off the field — something he hasn't had since Fichtner went to the box when Haley arrived in 2012..

“I don't have to go to the phone to talk to Randy or go to the headset to talk to him. I can just go over and talk to him,” Roethlisberger told The Athletic in November. “Because our meeting room is me, Landry (Jones), (Joshua) Dobbs and Randy, we know about all the things we talk about all week. Now we get on the sidelines and we can have a quarterback meeting. I will be like, 'Randy, we didn't talk about that during the week' or 'when did we talk about that?' It's a quarterback meeting right on the field.”

The change instantly resulted in better play out of Roethlisberger.

Before the move (prior to the Week 8 game against the Lions), Roethlisberger was averaging 249 yards, 1.3 touchdown passes and 21 points per game to go along with an 81.8 quarterback rating in seven games. After the move, he averaged 331 yards, 2.7 touchdowns, 30 points to go along with a 103.4 rating in nine games.

Fichtner couldn't explain the difference when asked.

“Whether it's calming or not or whether it's clear communication between him, me, Todd, the rest of the offensive coaches and the head coach, I don't know,” Fichtner said.

The hot second-half of the season has invigorated Roethlisberger, who immediately announced that he would be back for 2018 after waiting months to do so a year ago.

“I giggle when I hear he doesn't have the love for the game anymore,” Fichtner said. “It's sort of a running joke inside the building.”

Roethlisberger has made the Pro Bowl in each of his last four seasons while averaging 298 yards per game and 28 touchdowns per season. A lot of the Steelers' success during that period came out of the no-huddle.

Not by surprise, Roethlisberger lobbied to run more no-huddle because he was permitted to call plays. However, the number of no-huddle plays stayed the about the same during the past four seasons — 183, 193, 178 and 194.

Fichtner said that Roethlisberger's quarterback smarts are at its all-time highest.

“Absolutely, the mental part of the game is the highest it’s been in his career, for sure,” Fichtner said. “He has a lot of alternatives, options, pre-snap and post-snap. Not to mention the no-huddle, which is all on him. As I mentioned before, he’s the point man. He’s running a lot of different people. As far as to make decisions to run the football, to throw it or to check a lot of plays from pass to run and run to pass, run to run, pass to pass, he’s responsible for it.”

It's likely that Fichtner will keep that the same as well as the majority of the offense that was installed by Haley.

Roethlisberger on Tuesday said that he wanted the coaching staff to stay intact because “we're on the cusp” of a championship. Installing a new offense would be counterproductive especially for a soon-to-be 36-year old.

“I think that the important thing is we've got a really good group here – that includes coaches and players, a special group,” Roethlisberger said during his weekly radio segment on KDKA-FM. “The least amount of change, the better. That goes for players, coaches, and everything – we don't want big changes. We're right there.”

When Haley took over in 2012 he totally scrapped Bruce Arians' system and installed his own. Roethlisberger routinely complained how difficult Haley's offense was to learn, especially the terminology. Not surprisingly, that first year was the worst statistically for the Haley/Roethlisberger regime — 22nd in points and 21st in yards as the Steelers stumbled from back-to-back 12-4 seasons to 8-8.

“He only wants to win. Really, that's all he wants to do,” Fichtner said in November. “We talk about throwing it to our colored jerseys, how to push it to the end zone and take our shots when they are there to try to score touchdowns.”

Fichtner's resume includes stops at Arkansas State (1997-2000) and Memphis (2001-06) as offensive coordinators before being hired by Tomlin (who coached with Fichtner at Arkansas State) as wide receiver coach in 2007. Fichtner took over the quarterback coaching duties in 2010 after Ken Anderson retired.

“We have a tremendous roster, and it will be my charge to continue putting our offensive players in position to succeed and score points,” Fichtner said in a statement on Thursday. “We have the nucleus to be successful, and I am thrilled about the chance to lead the offense as we have already started preparing for the 2018 season.”

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:58 pm 

W&M_Steeler wrote:
In 1998, who would have guessed that in 20 years three members of the 4-8 Arkansas State Red Wolves football team coaching staff would be the Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, and Defense Coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers? Weird.

In another thread it was pointed out that how can it be the best candidates for assistant coaching jobs on the team are former steeler players.

Well...this factoid by WM extends that...how is it possible that the 3 best candidates for the top 3 coaching positions on the team were members of the 1998 arkansas state red wolves coaching staff.

I can't wrap my mind around this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:04 am 

My takeaway is that the steelers ran the no-huddle less than 1/5 of the time in 2017, despite it being incredibly successful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:00 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
My takeaway is that the steelers ran the no-huddle less than 1/5 of the time in 2017, despite it being incredibly successful.

I really thought it fell off a cliff in the last 2 years....but appears to have been pretty consistent. And that's more the last two years than I would have guessed.

I'd like to see how often NE runs it. I don't think it's a gimmick, but I'm also not sure you can run such a limited playbook more often. On the other hand, it's like 1.5 drives a game...which is mostly halftime and/or the end of a game you're trailing.

As I type this, I think this is the wrong analysis. The old "muddle huddle" is what we should be talking about - getting to the line quickly, with Ben calling the play. Not the classic hurry-up you see in a two minute drill, but pace pace pace with Ben calling the plays.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:23 am 

Even in the most dire situation this franchise operates with total class. Not firing Haley even though it was warranted but instead just not rehiring him, classy. Cost this franchise a shot at the championship I think but policy and procedure overrule that I guess. Congrats Fichtner.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:33 am 

I’m really glad Todd Haley is gone but no changes on the defensive staff is unconscionable.

Name me one player either Porter or Lake have developed into something better than they were when they came into the league.

How is it that several WEEKS after Shazier went down the Steelers were STILL struggling with communication on defense? Is Butler’s defense really that hard for the players to grasp?

I mean...blame the lack of skill all you want, but many of the defensive lapses I saw this year were MENTAL breakdowns. That’s why I thought the defense might not be all that bad...clean up the mistakes, and it could at least be passable, which is all we really needed.

But the mistakes were never cleaned up...and that has to be on the coaches.

PS I will caveat that with saying I know the Jags beat the shit out of the Steelers’ front seven...

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next