It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13509
I think it's a combination jeems. I think the position staff are less than ideal. I also think that players are soft. I think they believe they don't have to practice wrapping up tackling since they don't have traditional practices anymore. It's not a staple in practices. Today's practices are walkthroughs compared to what they were in the past. That's why tackling is atrocious and results in more injuries. Players are throwing themselves at other players instead of practicing the very fundamental wrap up tackle technique. Complacency.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23262
Steelafan77 wrote:
I think it's a combination jeems. I think the position staff are less than ideal. I also think that players are soft. I think they believe they don't have to practice wrapping up tackling since they don't have traditional practices anymore. It's not a staple in practices. Today's practices are walkthroughs compared to what they were in the past. That's why tackling is atrocious and results in more injuries. Players are throwing themselves at other players instead of practicing the very fundamental wrap up tackle technique. Complacency.


The worst part is apparently the Steelers had at least three practices in pads leading up to the game, from what I heard reported.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:40 am
Posts: 2216
Jeemie wrote:
I’m really glad Todd Haley is gone but no changes on the defensive staff is unconscionable.

Name me one player either Porter or Lake have developed into something better than they were when they came into the league.

How is it that several WEEKS after Shazier went down the Steelers were STILL struggling with communication on defense? Is Butler’s defense really that hard for the players to grasp?

I mean...blame the lack of skill all you want, but many of the defensive lapses I saw this year were MENTAL breakdowns. That’s why I thought the defense might not be all that bad...clean up the mistakes, and it could at least be passable, which is all we really needed.

But the mistakes were never cleaned up...and that has to be on the coaches.

PS I will caveat that with saying I know the Jags beat the shit out of the Steelers’ front seven...


Someone posted about this team having low football IQ in the LB corp and secondary. Seems that they went all the way athletic and speed w/ limited brains. I believe this is why Shazier was such an asset. Football smart and athletic and he helped cover a multitude of ineptitude out on the field.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am
Posts: 9091
Jeemie wrote:
I’m really glad Todd Haley is gone but no changes on the defensive staff is unconscionable.

Name me one player either Porter or Lake have developed into something better than they were when they came into the league.

How is it that several WEEKS after Shazier went down the Steelers were STILL struggling with communication on defense? Is Butler’s defense really that hard for the players to grasp?

I mean...blame the lack of skill all you want, but many of the defensive lapses I saw this year were MENTAL breakdowns. That’s why I thought the defense might not be all that bad...clean up the mistakes, and it could at least be passable, which is all we really needed.

But the mistakes were never cleaned up...and that has to be on the coaches.

PS I will caveat that with saying I know the Jags beat the shit out of the Steelers’ front seven...




Why didnt Tomlin fire anyone of the defensive side of the ball??? Because get this he apperently made most of the calls on defense this season, this is his defense, his players, his development of players, his calls...all of it..its all on Tomlin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am
Posts: 9091
Quote:
Bouchette: There was some surprise no coaching change was forthcoming on defense, but if that were to occur, Tomlin might have to start with himself. He called many of the defensive plays from the sideline this season. He also took charge of many of the secondary meetings and those with the entire defense.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:47 am
Posts: 4238
I'm excited to see what Fichtner can do.

I hope Tomlin stays out of the offense. This concerns me at this point in Tomlin's career.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4408
Jeemie wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
I think it's a combination jeems. I think the position staff are less than ideal. I also think that players are soft. I think they believe they don't have to practice wrapping up tackling since they don't have traditional practices anymore. It's not a staple in practices. Today's practices are walkthroughs compared to what they were in the past. That's why tackling is atrocious and results in more injuries. Players are throwing themselves at other players instead of practicing the very fundamental wrap up tackle technique. Complacency.


The worst part is apparently the Steelers had at least three practices in pads leading up to the game, from what I heard reported.


I think that's exactly why I was so hopeful (confident?) about this game. Tomlin took the reasonable approach of having his team practice actual hitting for an offense that is run heavy.

Did his players on D fail him? Yup surely, but Tomlin didn't help mitigate the disaster and that was his failure on Sunday


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11317
GreekSteel wrote:
Quote:
Bouchette: There was some surprise no coaching change was forthcoming on defense, but if that were to occur, Tomlin might have to start with himself. He called many of the defensive plays from the sideline this season. He also took charge of many of the secondary meetings and those with the entire defense.


That's pretty much Exhibit 1 for Tomlin's termination

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9665
Havoc wrote:
I'm excited to see what Fichtner can do.

I hope Tomlin stays out of the offense. This concerns me at this point in Tomlin's career.


The offense will barely change.

I think Haley was fired primarily bc Tomlin disliked him.

What I hope is that Fichtner will fix the red zone issues and not call head scratching plays.

Maybe run a QB sneak now and then. :lol:

_________________
TB wrote:
Breaking news: Tom Brady is also better than Ben Roethlisberger. Jerry Rice is better than Antonio Brown. Your mom is a bigger slut than my mom.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16267
I'm starting to come around to player development and drafting being a bigger issue than playcalling on D. Their scheme was better and more complex this year compared to last... but it was undermined by LBs and CBs and Ss making MEs and DL getting overpowered at times.

In other words, I think it was more Jimmies and Joes on defense, and more coaching/playcalling on offense.

Of course, Tomlin and Colbert and scouts and assistant coaches to a degree all share blame for selecting the Jimmies and Joes. But some of those guys are quite young, especially as NFL players (Burns, Dupree, Watt, Hargrave, Davis, even Vince and whomever they played at ILB).

I want to see a change at FS, I want to see an open competition at RDB with Burns challenged by Sutton. I want some reps on D with Brian Allen as the dime CB William Gay was playing. I want to see a concerted effort to improve NT, coverage ILB, Safety starter and depth, via both FA and draft. I think those would be the best coaching moves possible-- more important than the defensive structure or defensive plays called. A willingness to explore options instead of trotting out the same guys and expecting a different result.

And for god's sake, cut some dead weight that eats up cap space.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:40 am
Posts: 1657
GreekSteel wrote:
Quote:
Bouchette: There was some surprise no coaching change was forthcoming on defense, but if that were to occur, Tomlin might have to start with himself. He called many of the defensive plays from the sideline this season. He also took charge of many of the secondary meetings and those with the entire defense.


Wow that's bad. Maybe he should go back to being a potted plant.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11317
Still Lit wrote:
Havoc wrote:
I'm excited to see what Fichtner can do.

I hope Tomlin stays out of the offense. This concerns me at this point in Tomlin's career.


The offense will barely change.



People were high on Fitchner because of what he did with the 2-pt plays.....Then we had reversion to the mean, and everyone realized we never ran the ball on any of those plays. So the one thing he could hang his hat on ends up being a pretty short rack.

Otherwise, I think it was the Fitchner/Ben show the 2nd half of the year and I'm good with that.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16267
Still Lit wrote:
Havoc wrote:
I'm excited to see what Fichtner can do.

I hope Tomlin stays out of the offense. This concerns me at this point in Tomlin's career.


The offense will barely change.

I think Haley was fired primarily bc Tomlin disliked him.

What I hope is that Fichtner will fix the red zone issues and not call head scratching plays.

Maybe run a QB sneak now and then. :lol:

All he has to do is let Ben call more plays and scheme up a good situational play for a few situations per game and it would make a huge difference. If, on top of that, he runs as a complement to the vertical pass game, it could be epic. I'm telling you, the vertical pass game of the past couple of months is as good as anything I've ever seen in the NFL. They literally were afraid to live and die with it until they got behind in games-- and got away from it the moment they had the lead-- and it still was almost enough to get them to the AFCCG.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1446
Kodiak wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Havoc wrote:
I'm excited to see what Fichtner can do.

I hope Tomlin stays out of the offense. This concerns me at this point in Tomlin's career.


The offense will barely change.



People were high on Fitchner because of what he did with the 2-pt plays.....Then we had reversion to the mean, and everyone realized we never ran the ball on any of those plays. So the one thing he could hang his hat on ends up being a pretty short rack.

Otherwise, I think it was the Fitchner/Ben show the 2nd half of the year and I'm good with that.

Bolded is my feeling as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11317
bradshaw2ben wrote:
I'm telling you, the vertical pass game of the past couple of months is as good as anything I've ever seen in the NFL.


Agreed.

By the way, I used to say Bradshaw's deep ball was a little overrated or you wouldn't have all those highlight reel catches from Swann and Stallworth......so Terry is talking on one of those videos, and maybe he's trolling me but he said the same thing almost verbatim!

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 7595
DP39 wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

The offense will barely change.



People were high on Fitchner because of what he did with the 2-pt plays.....Then we had reversion to the mean, and everyone realized we never ran the ball on any of those plays. So the one thing he could hang his hat on ends up being a pretty short rack.

Otherwise, I think it was the Fitchner/Ben show the 2nd half of the year and I'm good with that.

Bolded is my feeling as well.

Yes, that makes me hopeful for next year.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:47 am
Posts: 4238
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Havoc wrote:
I'm excited to see what Fichtner can do.

I hope Tomlin stays out of the offense. This concerns me at this point in Tomlin's career.


The offense will barely change.

I think Haley was fired primarily bc Tomlin disliked him.

What I hope is that Fichtner will fix the red zone issues and not call head scratching plays.

Maybe run a QB sneak now and then. :lol:

All he has to do is let Ben call more plays and scheme up a good situational play for a few situations per game and it would make a huge difference. If, on top of that, he runs as a complement to the vertical pass game, it could be epic. I'm telling you, the vertical pass game of the past couple of months is as good as anything I've ever seen in the NFL. They literally were afraid to live and die with it until they got behind in games-- and got away from it the moment they had the lead-- and it still was almost enough to get them to the AFCCG.


If this is the offense Fichtner wants to run, is Tomlin going to allow it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 7595
Havoc wrote:
If this is the offense Fichtner wants to run, is Tomlin going to allow it?

I've been pondering how much autonomy an OC has under Tomlin. I know Arians's offense looked a lot different than Haley's. I guess at this point we're hoping that OC's have vast autonomy under Tomlin, that the weaknesses of our O were Haley's fault, and that Fichtner is a lot better of an OC.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am
Posts: 9091
Quote:
Fichtner has already talked to several Steelers players about some tweaks to the offense. Roethlisberger gave a few hints Wednesday about what those tweaks might be, including going back to some things that were successful when Bruce Arians coordinated the offense from 2007-11.

“There might be some stuff that would go back to what we had with the B.A. system,” Roethlisberger said “Just tweak a couple of things, nothing drastic. We’ll go back to some things. I think we’ll take the best of both worlds. We’ll do stuff that Randy has done in the past. We’ll do some Todd stuff. We’ll use some B.A. stuff. We’ll just kind of take what we all think is best and try to mush them together and create a finished product.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11317
What I'd really like to see is an effective PA game again. Ben used to be great at it. With the receivers, OL and threat of Bell....I have ZERO idea why we aren't good at it.

And Ben allegedly saying he doesn't like PA because he doesn't like turning his back to the defense is another "WTF, Ben?!?" comment.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5490
Kodiak wrote:
What I'd really like to see is an effective PA game again. Ben used to be great at it. With the receivers, OL and threat of Bell....I have ZERO idea why we aren't good at it.

And Ben allegedly saying he doesn't like PA because he doesn't like turning his back to the defense is another "WTF, Ben?!?" comment.



Image

These type of comments really push me into the camp that Ben would rather not do something silly like run a QB sneak on 4th and inches.

Couple that with Ben's history of clock management via spiking the ball at foolish times........Ben ain't the strategic guru he's made out to be by many here.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11317
R S wrote:
These type of comments really push me into the camp that Ben would rather not do something silly like run a QB sneak on 4th and inches.


I sincerely believe he's afraid of taking unnecessary blindside hits because of concussions. Next one probably leads him to retire.

Like I said, I don't think anyone really stops Ben from running the sneak other than Ben. His PA, on the rare occasions they run it, has been very half-assed. I will say he ran some really hard play fakes late in the year that were notable because they were so much better than it has been for years.

It doesn't make a lot of sense, given both are lower risk than holding the ball. Difference is he avoids the one by not calling it. Too much of a competitor to throw it away in the heat of the moment.

And, to be fair, for years when Ben tried to run PA he was turning around to 2-3 guys right in his face. The pass pro was just unbelievably bad. I suppose that would make one "not like to turn their back on the defense".

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:37 am
Posts: 1412
I still can’t understand for the life of me why he couldn’t say to Tomlin, let me sneak it here, easy first down. Then we hear all this extra BS which really has nothing to do with the play. It should have been a short, confident statement, then get on with the goddamn gimme of a play.

Huge Ben supporter here, not any of the BS he was selling about the play. Or anyone else for that matter. Yet it happened twice in that fucking game somehow . Still unreal to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11317
Hinestuff wrote:
I still can’t understand for the life of me why he couldn’t say to Tomlin, let me sneak it here, easy first down.


Because there's really only one explanation - Ben doesn't want to run the sneak. He doesn't want to, as Haley would say, "get ear-holed" and take a concussion. He simply doesn't want to risk the potential helmet-to-helmet contact.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5490
Kodiak wrote:
Hinestuff wrote:
I still can’t understand for the life of me why he couldn’t say to Tomlin, let me sneak it here, easy first down.


Because there's really only one explanation - Ben doesn't want to run the sneak. He doesn't want to, as Haley would say, "get ear-holed" and take a concussion. He simply doesn't want to risk the potential helmet-to-helmet contact.


I agree with you. I think for a guy that loves to rain down so much praise on his OL, it's a spit in their face that he won't risk helmet to helmet contact for them on a handful CRUCIAL sneaks in a season, when they are hitting helmet to helmet every snap.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:17 pm
Posts: 1560
His first play call as an NFL OC?

WR screen.

_________________
KC wrote:
I got nothin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13509
Tradition?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:26 pm
Posts: 4060
Hinestuff wrote:
I still can’t understand for the life of me why he couldn’t say to Tomlin, let me sneak it here, easy first down. Then we hear all this extra BS which really has nothing to do with the play. It should have been a short, confident statement, then get on with the goddamn gimme of a play.

Huge Ben supporter here, not any of the BS he was selling about the play. Or anyone else for that matter. Yet it happened twice in that fucking game somehow . Still unreal to me.


I agree, but even if Tomlin said no....a delayed pitch draw is massively fucking stupid.

_________________
"Antonio Brown doesn't need to respond to anything," Tomlin said. "He walks into stadiums and he's Antonio Brown and he made Antonio Brown plays."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:26 pm
Posts: 4060
Can we bring back Ben's deadly pump fake? Pretty sure I haven't seen one since the Arians days and it used to be sick. He has a top 3 offensive line so it's not like he doesn't have time in the pocket.

_________________
"Antonio Brown doesn't need to respond to anything," Tomlin said. "He walks into stadiums and he's Antonio Brown and he made Antonio Brown plays."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23262
86n96 wrote:
His first play call as an NFL OC?

WR screen.


There’s nothing wrong with a WR screen per se.

Just not something you call against a fast lateral defense.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:40 am
Posts: 2216
GreekSteel wrote:
Quote:
Fichtner has already talked to several Steelers players about some tweaks to the offense. Roethlisberger gave a few hints Wednesday about what those tweaks might be, including going back to some things that were successful when Bruce Arians coordinated the offense from 2007-11.

“There might be some stuff that would go back to what we had with the B.A. system,” Roethlisberger said “Just tweak a couple of things, nothing drastic. We’ll go back to some things. I think we’ll take the best of both worlds. We’ll do stuff that Randy has done in the past. We’ll do some Todd stuff. We’ll use some B.A. stuff. We’ll just kind of take what we all think is best and try to mush them together and create a finished product.


Now this could be a very dynamic offense to say the least.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:17 pm
Posts: 1560
Jeemie wrote:
86n96 wrote:
His first play call as an NFL OC?

WR screen.


There’s nothing wrong with a WR screen per se.

Just not something you call against a fast lateral defense.

I get it, and I've been a Finchtner guy since BA got canned. I just found it funny. Almost like he was trolling the fans.

_________________
KC wrote:
I got nothin.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DocSteel, Google [Bot], LakecrestSteeler, OhioSteeler, Steel Drummer, SteelKnife, Stosh-67 and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group