It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:13 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Quote:
Bouchette: There was some surprise no coaching change was forthcoming on defense, but if that were to occur, Tomlin might have to start with himself. He called many of the defensive plays from the sideline this season. He also took charge of many of the secondary meetings and those with the entire defense.

Wow that's bad. Maybe he should go back to being a potted plant.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:14 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Havoc wrote:
I'm excited to see what Fichtner can do.

I hope Tomlin stays out of the offense. This concerns me at this point in Tomlin's career.

The offense will barely change.

People were high on Fitchner because of what he did with the 2-pt plays.....Then we had reversion to the mean, and everyone realized we never ran the ball on any of those plays. So the one thing he could hang his hat on ends up being a pretty short rack.

Otherwise, I think it was the Fitchner/Ben show the 2nd half of the year and I'm good with that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:17 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Havoc wrote:

I hope Tomlin stays out of the offense. This concerns me at this point in Tomlin's career.

I think Haley was fired primarily bc Tomlin disliked him.

What I hope is that Fichtner will fix the red zone issues and not call head scratching plays.

Maybe run a QB sneak now and then. :lol:

All he has to do is let Ben call more plays and scheme up a good situational play for a few situations per game and it would make a huge difference. If, on top of that, he runs as a complement to the vertical pass game, it could be epic. I'm telling you, the vertical pass game of the past couple of months is as good as anything I've ever seen in the NFL. They literally were afraid to live and die with it until they got behind in games-- and got away from it the moment they had the lead-- and it still was almost enough to get them to the AFCCG.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:18 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Havoc wrote:

People were high on Fitchner because of what he did with the 2-pt plays.....Then we had reversion to the mean, and everyone realized we never ran the ball on any of those plays. So the one thing he could hang his hat on ends up being a pretty short rack.

Otherwise, I think it was the Fitchner/Ben show the 2nd half of the year and I'm good with that.

Bolded is my feeling as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:32 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I'm telling you, the vertical pass game of the past couple of months is as good as anything I've ever seen in the NFL.

Agreed.

By the way, I used to say Bradshaw's deep ball was a little overrated or you wouldn't have all those highlight reel catches from Swann and Stallworth......so Terry is talking on one of those videos, and maybe he's trolling me but he said the same thing almost verbatim!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:46 pm 

DP39 wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

Bolded is my feeling as well.

Yes, that makes me hopeful for next year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:56 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Havoc wrote:

I think Haley was fired primarily bc Tomlin disliked him.

What I hope is that Fichtner will fix the red zone issues and not call head scratching plays.

Maybe run a QB sneak now and then. :lol:

All he has to do is let Ben call more plays and scheme up a good situational play for a few situations per game and it would make a huge difference. If, on top of that, he runs as a complement to the vertical pass game, it could be epic. I'm telling you, the vertical pass game of the past couple of months is as good as anything I've ever seen in the NFL. They literally were afraid to live and die with it until they got behind in games-- and got away from it the moment they had the lead-- and it still was almost enough to get them to the AFCCG.

If this is the offense Fichtner wants to run, is Tomlin going to allow it?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:08 pm 

Havoc wrote:
If this is the offense Fichtner wants to run, is Tomlin going to allow it?

I've been pondering how much autonomy an OC has under Tomlin. I know Arians's offense looked a lot different than Haley's. I guess at this point we're hoping that OC's have vast autonomy under Tomlin, that the weaknesses of our O were Haley's fault, and that Fichtner is a lot better of an OC.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:14 am 

Quote:
Fichtner has already talked to several Steelers players about some tweaks to the offense. Roethlisberger gave a few hints Wednesday about what those tweaks might be, including going back to some things that were successful when Bruce Arians coordinated the offense from 2007-11.

“There might be some stuff that would go back to what we had with the B.A. system,” Roethlisberger said “Just tweak a couple of things, nothing drastic. We’ll go back to some things. I think we’ll take the best of both worlds. We’ll do stuff that Randy has done in the past. We’ll do some Todd stuff. We’ll use some B.A. stuff. We’ll just kind of take what we all think is best and try to mush them together and create a finished product.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:39 am 

What I'd really like to see is an effective PA game again. Ben used to be great at it. With the receivers, OL and threat of Bell....I have ZERO idea why we aren't good at it.

And Ben allegedly saying he doesn't like PA because he doesn't like turning his back to the defense is another "WTF, Ben?!?" comment.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:35 am 

Kodiak wrote:
What I'd really like to see is an effective PA game again. Ben used to be great at it. With the receivers, OL and threat of Bell....I have ZERO idea why we aren't good at it.

And Ben allegedly saying he doesn't like PA because he doesn't like turning his back to the defense is another "WTF, Ben?!?" comment.

These type of comments really push me into the camp that Ben would rather not do something silly like run a QB sneak on 4th and inches.

Couple that with Ben's history of clock management via spiking the ball at foolish times........Ben ain't the strategic guru he's made out to be by many here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:36 pm 

R S wrote:
These type of comments really push me into the camp that Ben would rather not do something silly like run a QB sneak on 4th and inches.

I sincerely believe he's afraid of taking unnecessary blindside hits because of concussions. Next one probably leads him to retire.

Like I said, I don't think anyone really stops Ben from running the sneak other than Ben. His PA, on the rare occasions they run it, has been very half-assed. I will say he ran some really hard play fakes late in the year that were notable because they were so much better than it has been for years.

It doesn't make a lot of sense, given both are lower risk than holding the ball. Difference is he avoids the one by not calling it. Too much of a competitor to throw it away in the heat of the moment.

And, to be fair, for years when Ben tried to run PA he was turning around to 2-3 guys right in his face. The pass pro was just unbelievably bad. I suppose that would make one "not like to turn their back on the defense".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:43 pm 

I still can’t understand for the life of me why he couldn’t say to Tomlin, let me sneak it here, easy first down. Then we hear all this extra BS which really has nothing to do with the play. It should have been a short, confident statement, then get on with the goddamn gimme of a play.

Huge Ben supporter here, not any of the BS he was selling about the play. Or anyone else for that matter. Yet it happened twice in that fucking game somehow . Still unreal to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:54 pm 

Hinestuff wrote:
I still can’t understand for the life of me why he couldn’t say to Tomlin, let me sneak it here, easy first down.

Because there's really only one explanation - Ben doesn't want to run the sneak. He doesn't want to, as Haley would say, "get ear-holed" and take a concussion. He simply doesn't want to risk the potential helmet-to-helmet contact.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:05 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Hinestuff wrote:
I still can’t understand for the life of me why he couldn’t say to Tomlin, let me sneak it here, easy first down.

Because there's really only one explanation - Ben doesn't want to run the sneak. He doesn't want to, as Haley would say, "get ear-holed" and take a concussion. He simply doesn't want to risk the potential helmet-to-helmet contact.

I agree with you. I think for a guy that loves to rain down so much praise on his OL, it's a spit in their face that he won't risk helmet to helmet contact for them on a handful CRUCIAL sneaks in a season, when they are hitting helmet to helmet every snap.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:38 pm 

His first play call as an NFL OC?

WR screen.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:22 am 

Tradition?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:43 am 

Hinestuff wrote:
I still can’t understand for the life of me why he couldn’t say to Tomlin, let me sneak it here, easy first down. Then we hear all this extra BS which really has nothing to do with the play. It should have been a short, confident statement, then get on with the goddamn gimme of a play.

Huge Ben supporter here, not any of the BS he was selling about the play. Or anyone else for that matter. Yet it happened twice in that fucking game somehow . Still unreal to me.

I agree, but even if Tomlin said no....a delayed pitch draw is massively fucking stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:44 am 

Can we bring back Ben's deadly pump fake? Pretty sure I haven't seen one since the Arians days and it used to be sick. He has a top 3 offensive line so it's not like he doesn't have time in the pocket.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:49 am 

86n96 wrote:

WR screen.

There’s nothing wrong with a WR screen per se.

Just not something you call against a fast lateral defense.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:06 am 

GreekSteel wrote:
Quote:
Fichtner has already talked to several Steelers players about some tweaks to the offense. Roethlisberger gave a few hints Wednesday about what those tweaks might be, including going back to some things that were successful when Bruce Arians coordinated the offense from 2007-11.

“There might be some stuff that would go back to what we had with the B.A. system,” Roethlisberger said “Just tweak a couple of things, nothing drastic. We’ll go back to some things. I think we’ll take the best of both worlds. We’ll do stuff that Randy has done in the past. We’ll do some Todd stuff. We’ll use some B.A. stuff. We’ll just kind of take what we all think is best and try to mush them together and create a finished product.

Now this could be a very dynamic offense to say the least.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:00 am 

Jeemie wrote:
86n96 wrote:

WR screen.

There’s nothing wrong with a WR screen per se.

Just not something you call against a fast lateral defense.

I get it, and I've been a Finchtner guy since BA got canned. I just found it funny. Almost like he was trolling the fans.