It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: What should Steelers do with Bell?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:23 pm
Posts: 810
In today's NFL do you really want to pay a RB over $10 mil per, especially a RB that has a ton of mileage, been suspended for drugs, been injured almost every year he's been in the league? Reports are Bell is seeking a deal that pays him over $15 mil per year, which is damn near double the next highest paid RB Devonte Freeman gets, he signed a 5 year 41 million deal. I love Bell, he is a great player, a generational player, but I do not think he scared defenses because he lacks the home run threat. He has benefited greatly playing along side a HOF QB and HOF WR and behind a top 5 line, but how many defenses routinely stack the box against us, I can't recall many. Personally, I would offer him a deal far less than what they reportedly offered him last year, I would offer him maybe a 3 year 30 million dollar extension, if he declined I would first try to find a team that I could work a sign and trade deal out with prior to the franchise tag deadline, if that didn't work then I would let him test the waters, and if he leaves so be it. Then I would use the $14 mil we would have had to pay him if they franchised him to sign a Safety, an ILB and maybe a veteran DL and Corner. Next I would draft a RB with some speed and ability to catch the ball and also bring in 2 or 3 undrafted free agent RB's and let them all compete with Conner and Watson and keep the best 4. Take NE for example, when is the last time they had a stud RB, Corey Dillon maybe? This year they have rolled with D. Lewis, R. Burkhead, J. White and Bolden, none of which were high draft picks, yet they get the job done.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should Steelers do with Bell?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Posts: 1032
StillerDownSouth wrote:
In today's NFL do you really want to pay a RB over $10 mil per, especially a RB that has a ton of mileage, been suspended for drugs, been injured almost every year he's been in the league? Reports are Bell is seeking a deal that pays him over $15 mil per year, which is damn near double the next highest paid RB Devonte Freeman gets, he signed a 5 year 41 million deal. I love Bell, he is a great player, a generational player, but I do not think he scared defenses because he lacks the home run threat. He has benefited greatly playing along side a HOF QB and HOF WR and behind a top 5 line, but how many defenses routinely stack the box against us, I can't recall many. Personally, I would offer him a deal far less than what they reportedly offered him last year, I would offer him maybe a 3 year 30 million dollar extension, if he declined I would first try to find a team that I could work a sign and trade deal out with prior to the franchise tag deadline, if that didn't work then I would let him test the waters, and if he leaves so be it. Then I would use the $14 mil we would have had to pay him if they franchised him to sign a Safety, an ILB and maybe a veteran DL and Corner. Next I would draft a RB with some speed and ability to catch the ball and also bring in 2 or 3 undrafted free agent RB's and let them all compete with Conner and Watson and keep the best 4. Take NE for example, when is the last time they had a stud RB, Corey Dillon maybe? This year they have rolled with D. Lewis, R. Burkhead, J. White and Bolden, none of which were high draft picks, yet they get the job done.


I love Bell. But, this is where I've always been. He has a friggin ton of miles on him. A ton. The Steelers have worked him to the bone. Giving him anything above $10-11 mil per is, imo, payment for past services rendered because I will be surprised if he doesn't start showing signs of wear in the very near future.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should Steelers do with Bell?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm
Posts: 4022
Sign Bell Fire Bug


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should Steelers do with Bell?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:38 pm
Posts: 594
Bell is great, but he's not head and shoulders above all other RBs to the point he's worth $15 million+ / year. He has one major hole in his game- he's slow.

Given the needs of the D, I'd rather take the $15 million that would go to Bell next season and use it to shore up the middle of the defense. There's no way Bell would take a lower priced contract for the good of the team. To me, he has Washington Redskin written all over him.

I'd go with Connor, Ridley, and Watson next year, and I might consider drafting a RB early if the right one fell. The Steelers' championship window is short, and a RB is more likely to contribute immediately than a Safety or ILB. I'd also see if DeAngelo Williams has anything left in the tank.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should Steelers do with Bell?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:43 am
Posts: 210
I'm inclined to let him walk, but it's easy to piss away the 10-15M per season on marginal players. Upgrades are no doubt needed at ILB and FS, but there's a chance we get a Mike Mitchell instead of a James Farrior with that money.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should Steelers do with Bell?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am
Posts: 8827
if we could guarantee shoring up the defense by trading him and using the savings on defensive signings and draft picks..id let him go and draft his replacement...say Rashaad Penny since Barkely would be long gone...way easier to replace a RB, even 1 as great as Bell is than a middle LBer like Ryan Shazier


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should Steelers do with Bell?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:31 pm
Posts: 922
W&M_Steeler wrote:
Bell is great, but he's not head and shoulders above all other RBs to the point he's worth $15 million+ / year. He has one major hole in his game- he's slow.

Given the needs of the D, I'd rather take the $15 million that would go to Bell next season and use it to shore up the middle of the defense. There's no way Bell would take a lower priced contract for the good of the team. To me, he has Washington Redskin written all over him.

I'd go with Connor, Ridley, and Watson next year, and I might consider drafting a RB early if the right one fell. The Steelers' championship window is short, and a RB is more likely to contribute immediately than a Safety or ILB. I'd also see if DeAngelo Williams has anything left in the tank.


I'n with ya W&M. D has been atrocious - need talent only money can buy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should Steelers do with Bell?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:23 pm
Posts: 810
GreekSteel wrote:
if we could guarantee shoring up the defense by trading him and using the savings on defensive signings and draft picks..id let him go and draft his replacement...say Rashaad Penny since Barkely would be long gone...way easier to replace a RB, even 1 as great as Bell is than a middle LBer like Ryan Shazier



This is where I am at as well, look at what Kareem Hunt (3rd round) did in KC and Kamara (3rd round) in New Orleans. Both of these guys benefited from playing on good offenses with good QB's, I am fairly confident Steelers could draft a guy in 3rd or 4th round and along with Connor and Ridley all could enjoy success just because of the pressure Ben, AB, MB and JuJu can apply to a defense. I would much rather try to sign a solid Safety and ILB with the money we could save by not signing Bell. PS could easily get a guy like Sony Michel, Nick Chubb, Ronald Jones or Kerryon Johnson in the 3rd round.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should Steelers do with Bell?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 14894
Cannot trade him unless he signs either a long-term contract or the franchise tag.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should Steelers do with Bell?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am
Posts: 8827
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Cannot trade him unless he signs either a long-term contract or the franchise tag.



cantt trade his rights? fuck so at best we are looking at a 3rnd comp pick


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group