It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Randy Fichtner Interview... Great Listen
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Posts: 1040
955876 wrote:
Begs the question if even Tomlin was the best man for the job back when he was hired.


Meh. Russ Grimm vs Mike Tomlin. Regardless of what Tomlin has evolved into, I don’t think the Steelers fucked up that choice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Randy Fichtner Interview... Great Listen
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11752
Jeemie wrote:
And Butler doesn’t get a complete pass because every team has key injuries...the best coaches overcome them.


It's not even just that. It wasn't just bad defense, it was NO defense. Two playoff games in a row.

Imagine a sales guy - two years in a row - presenting to your biggest potential new client. And doesn't just do a bad presentation, but drops his pants and takes a giant dump on the table. That guy still has a job? !? After doing it once, much less twice?!?

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Randy Fichtner Interview... Great Listen
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11752
randomsteelerfan wrote:
Meh. Russ Grimm vs Mike Tomlin. Regardless of what Tomlin has evolved into, I don’t think the Steelers fucked up that choice.


Ehhhh, you're forgetting the 3rd name that was actually in the mix - Ron Rivera.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Randy Fichtner Interview... Great Listen
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Posts: 1040
Kodiak wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
And Butler doesn’t get a complete pass because every team has key injuries...the best coaches overcome them.


It's not even just that. It wasn't just bad defense, it was NO defense. Two playoff games in a row.

Imagine a sales guy - two years in a row - presenting to your biggest potential new client. And doesn't just do a bad presentation, but drops his pants and takes a giant dump on the table. That guy still has a job? !? After doing it once, much less twice?!?


And for all B2Bs optimism about the offense, wtf about the defense? Really. Who cares if Fichtner is an upgrade. This defense is horrid. Jeemie’s right. Talk of injuries is masking the real problem with the D. Shitty ass coaching. That won’t improve if the staff remains intact.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Randy Fichtner Interview... Great Listen
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Posts: 1040
Kodiak wrote:
randomsteelerfan wrote:
Meh. Russ Grimm vs Mike Tomlin. Regardless of what Tomlin has evolved into, I don’t think the Steelers fucked up that choice.


Ehhhh, you're forgetting the 3rd name that was actually in the mix - Ron Rivera.


Forgot about Ronnie.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Randy Fichtner Interview... Great Listen
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:17 pm
Posts: 1608
Been pounding the table for this dude since BA left. Knows the game, PLAYED THE GAME, grew up in the game. He's designed our smartest plays. I think Tomlin brought him in with this in mind, but Deuce shoved Haley up our collective ass. Haley was obsessed with setting up future plays. Sometimes you have to just line up and fucking play.

I don't think you'll see any buck sweeps on 4th and 1/2 an inch. I think you'll see an improved red zone offense. I think they'll be able to keep a flawed defense off the field.

_________________
KC wrote:
I got nothin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Randy Fichtner Interview... Great Listen
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 1952
I am so tired of people making excuses for Haley and saying that they should have kept him and fired Butler.

Yeah, in a perfect world I would want both replaced but Haley had to go.

42 points is meaningless. Look deeper into that game. We were 7 of 16 on 3rd downs. The offense was not getting it done on 3rd down and we had to have 6 plays on 4th down. Ben miraculously was able to convert 4 of those 4th downs and maybe if he was allowed to do a QB sneak he might have converted all 6 of those 4th down opportunities.

But that sort of misses the point, why did the team even have to attempt 6 fourth down plays?

The reason? Because we have a pathetic offensive coordinator who can't call a game to save his life, and in this case it was literally his NFL life on the line.

_________________
#greendot51


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Randy Fichtner Interview... Great Listen
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 10606
randomsteelerfan wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
And Butler doesn’t get a complete pass because every team has key injuries...the best coaches overcome them.


It's not even just that. It wasn't just bad defense, it was NO defense. Two playoff games in a row.

Imagine a sales guy - two years in a row - presenting to your biggest potential new client. And doesn't just do a bad presentation, but drops his pants and takes a giant dump on the table. That guy still has a job? !? After doing it once, much less twice?!?


And for all B2Bs optimism about the offense, wtf about the defense? Really. Who cares if Fichtner is an upgrade. This defense is horrid. Jeemie’s right. Talk of injuries is masking the real problem with the D. Shitty ass coaching. That won’t improve if the staff remains intact.

agree..injuries? like shaz is a tank and never injured? we should have people in place for any injury. injuries weren't the problem. coaching and bad system were. weak ass players playing undisciplined shit. defense been shit for years now...why dick was escorted out. butler has brought zero upgrades of any kind.. don't wanna hear sack numbers. those are dong sacks vs shitty teams in garbage time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Randy Fichtner Interview... Great Listen
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23455
The worst part is with this offense, the defense doesn’t even have to be great...just competent.

This wasn’t even that. This was the equivalent to having nobody on the field.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Randy Fichtner Interview... Great Listen
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 6994
Jeemie wrote:
The worst part is with this offense, the defense doesn’t even have to be great...just competent.

This wasn’t even that. This was the equivalent to having nobody on the field.

I’m 60 years old...spend a lot of time around the game at the high school and small college level. I spend most of my fall Saturdays and Sundays watching as much football as I can possibly get in. I am not a football expert, nor do I claim to be, but I have seen tons of football games in my lifetime. I have no problem stating that this past Sunday was, without a doubt, the worst defensive football performance I have ever witnessed. And second place isn’t even close...

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Randy Fichtner Interview... Great Listen
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:51 pm
Posts: 1232
Jobus Rum wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
The worst part is with this offense, the defense doesn’t even have to be great...just competent.

This wasn’t even that. This was the equivalent to having nobody on the field.

I’m 60 years old...spend a lot of time around the game at the high school and small college level. I spend most of my fall Saturdays and Sundays watching as much football as I can possibly get in. I am not a football expert, nor do I claim to be, but I have seen tons of football games in my lifetime. I have no problem stating that this past Sunday was, without a doubt, the worst defensive football performance I have ever witnessed. And second place isn’t even close...


We've been privileged to watch a lot of great defense over the years as Steelers fans. That makes watching this group the last few years even more difficult. I had to turn it off for a while last week and have done that a lot the last few years. I can't stand watching them get owned. No pressure on the QB and getting pounded against the run is way worse than watching 3 and outs on offense. I don't get as emotional as I used to when I was younger but watching this defense is painful.

_________________
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Randy Fichtner Interview... Great Listen
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am
Posts: 9153
Jobus Rum wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
The worst part is with this offense, the defense doesn’t even have to be great...just competent.

This wasn’t even that. This was the equivalent to having nobody on the field.

I’m 60 years old...spend a lot of time around the game at the high school and small college level. I spend most of my fall Saturdays and Sundays watching as much football as I can possibly get in. I am not a football expert, nor do I claim to be, but I have seen tons of football games in my lifetime. I have no problem stating that this past Sunday was, without a doubt, the worst defensive football performance I have ever witnessed. And second place isn’t even close...




Agreed guys, absolutely pathetic performance, injuries and talent is a lame excuse akin to "my dog ate my homework". * of the last 10 1st and 2nd rnd picks have all gone to the defensive side of the ball, development,scheme,play calling, all horrendous and embarassing andTomlins fingerprints are all over this embarassment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Randy Fichtner Interview... Great Listen
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 6628
Jeemie wrote:
The worst part is with this offense, the defense doesn’t even have to be great...just competent.

This wasn’t even that. This was the equivalent to having nobody on the field.
They are far from great, but not far from competent. The offense on the other hand, is already great and loaded with playmakers, a great O line coach, and a HOF QB. They forced the D on the field and got fooled more than once with PA on third downs. That's not coaching, that's dumb players.

I understand the freak out. Especially after two years, but expecting below average to good/great in a few years is not managing expectations. We also don't have a fucking clue as to what Butler did to change from Lebeau. Maybe he simplified it too much, and instead of shelving players until they get it, he's teaching with trial by fire. That would explain giving up big plays. Nobody seemed to notice the defense against the pats, who barely scored 27.

Even Fitchner said the offense had to keep the ball and score at opportune moments. They didn't. The offense, in playoff football with a suspect defense can't make mistakes. They did. A bunch of them. And it was the coach/ OC.

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Randy Fichtner Interview... Great Listen
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13794
GreekSteel wrote:
He has a good relationship with Ben, and imo thats a good thing so hes ahead of the game just from that perspective..as for the rest of it. his offensive philosophy, we shall see
If I recall that was the 'reason' for running Arians out of town wasn't it? I hope Fichtner is the missing link that this offense needs to finally accomplish the 30 points a game while overcoming the stupid. That would eliminate the offense from the fix/or repair side. Then Tomlin and company can focus on this porous embarrassment of a defense.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Randy Fichtner Interview... Great Listen
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am
Posts: 9153
Steelafan77 wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
He has a good relationship with Ben, and imo thats a good thing so hes ahead of the game just from that perspective..as for the rest of it. his offensive philosophy, we shall see
If I recall that was the 'reason' for running Arians out of town wasn't it? I hope Fichtner is the missing link that this offense needs to finally accomplish the 30 points a game while overcoming the stupid. That would eliminate the offense from the fix/or repair side. Then Tomlin and company can focus on this porous embarrassment of a defense.




yup that was looked at negatively by many on here and perhaps by EMR as well. Was stupid thinking then and stupid to think thats a negative today.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Randy Fichtner Interview... Great Listen
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 6994
GreekSteel wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
He has a good relationship with Ben, and imo thats a good thing so hes ahead of the game just from that perspective..as for the rest of it. his offensive philosophy, we shall see
If I recall that was the 'reason' for running Arians out of town wasn't it? I hope Fichtner is the missing link that this offense needs to finally accomplish the 30 points a game while overcoming the stupid. That would eliminate the offense from the fix/or repair side. Then Tomlin and company can focus on this porous embarrassment of a defense.




yup that was looked at negatively by many on here and perhaps by EMR as well. Was stupid thinking then and stupid to think thats a negative today.

Does Fichtner play golf... :shock:

:mrgreen:

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bradshaw2ben, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], merlin86, Rocky Mtn Stiller, SteelRaptor, Stosh-67, white_steel_wolfe and 52 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group