It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Randy Fichtner Interview... Great Listen
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:36 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Did you listen to the guy and what he had to say?

Did he say the defense sucks dick and that Tomlin and Butler have to fix it?

;)

I'll listen when I get the chance.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:47 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Did he address the defense or what his roll is handling team discipline?

If not, what’s anything he said have to do with what I said?

Although, better offensive coordination could have meant we won 50-45.

The 45 is still the issue. As is the mental make-up of the players on this team. They are not champions but selfish individuals with a coach not strong enough to manage them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:53 pm 

The guy sounds very intelligent. And is a football lifer.

I’ll take him for head coach, actually.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:56 pm 

I get a kick of how people are blaming the defense for lack of discipline, yet it's only offensive players that are accused of being immature. AB, MB, Bell. . .

Who on defense lacks discipline and fails to show up for walk throughs? Mitchell said stupid shit. Ok. Dupree called Harrison out. Big fucking deal.

Losing a star player that is universally loved in the locker room can totally take you off your game. I guess you can give Matt Murray a pass because his dad died, but losing your best friend to paraplegia is something to just shrug off. It had a massive effect, not to mention Haden going down for weeks. Take away Bell permanently and AB for 6 games in the middle of the season and see where you stand.

Sure, the defense has problems. I get that. But firing Butler won't fix it for next year. You want to install a new system with a totally different locker room in the last three years of BR's career? Who would be that guy?

It's not enough to have Haley walk, and admission from the organization that the locker room needs to be tightened up. May as well start from scratch, right?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:59 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
I get a kick of how people are blaming the defense for lack of discipline, yet it's only offensive players that are accused of being immature. AB, MB, Bell. . .

Who on defense lacks discipline and fails to show up for walk throughs? Mitchell said stupid shit. Ok. Dupree called Harrison out. Big fucking deal.

Losing a star player that is universally loved in the locker room can totally take you off your game. I guess you can give Matt Murray a pass because his dad died, but losing your best friend to paraplegia is something to just shrug off. It had a massive effect, not to mention Haden going down for weeks. Take away Bell permanently and AB for 6 games in the middle of the season and see where you stand.

Sure, the defense has problems. I get that. But firing Butler won't fix it for next year. You want to install a new system with a totally different locker room in the last three years of BR's career? Who would be that guy?

It's not enough to have Haley walk, and admission from the organization that the locker room needs to be tightened up. May as well start from scratch, right?

I missed where the organization admitted the locker room needs to be tightened up, unless they’re using Bouchette to send that message. Mike Tomlin hasn’t gotten such a message yet.

Me personally? I’m willing (barely) to give Butler another year, but Porter and Lake at the least should be fired. Again I’ll ask you to point to any LBer or DBer you have seen undergo improvement under their tutelage.

And the defense was showing leaks before Shazier went down.

And Butler doesn’t get a complete pass because every team has key injuries...the best coaches overcome them.

Yes we don’t have the greatest talent on D, but not so bad that the defense should be no better than actually having no one on the field when the opponent’s offense is out.

They weren’t even a speed bump.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:09 pm 

Everyone talked about the "Lake effect." I guess that's out the window. Everybody listens to him in the defensive backfield as though he were the DB guru. Maybe Burns and Davis just aren't that smart. Maybe Mitchell is too fucking slow and takes wrong angles, but knows defensive schemes. We already know Spence should continue doing whatever he was doing before getting the call. Watt is a rookie that showed promise. Alualu was a great pick up. There is solid depth at LB, just not starters.

I can agree on Porter and Olsalvsky (sp?). Jervis was a mistake, and Dupree isn't living up to expectations. Who's fault was it that they had no contingency for Shaz going down? Tomlin? Colbert? Porter? Maybe it's just the players suck? I can see how Porter can rub people the wrong way, but I have no fucking clue about how good a coach he is and can't judge him based on results only. Process is critical, and none of us know what that is.

Not sure about Mitchell as DL coach. Tuitt, although disappearing for stretches this season, was all that last year. Everybody loved Hargrave as well. Not so much after 16 measly games.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:23 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

All people are saying, B2B, is there are more problems with this team than the offense.

No shit. Not what this thread is about.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:28 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

I just listened...sounds like a swell guy. Other than that, what exactly about that interview are we supposed to be impressed with? Just your normal, everyday, jock/coach fluff interview.
I have my fingers crossed that Fichtner works out...but everything about this team and organization has me jaded right now...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:29 pm 

If he religiously attacks and exploits the weakness of opposing defenses and make them an offensive juggernaut then I'll send him a brisket and 7 racks of ribs every month from the restaurant.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:31 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

You know it’s ok to take up issue with this team

You should be clamoring for tomlins exit and several others

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:44 pm 

Listened to the the interview.

He said something to the effect :

"You're in a catch up mode,

We were always behind.

If we had a lead, the game would have been different.

We didn't do it."

That says a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:11 pm 

IDK. I listened to it. It’s a feel good story. A story of friendship between Fichtner, Butler and Tomlin. He seems like a genuine, likeable guy.

But, the interview just makes me feel worse about this team/staff. All I can think of is are these the best qualified guys? I mean, other than history, what makes them the best choices to be the coaching triumvirate braintrust?

Tomlin trusts them? Um, okay. Just wreaks of nepotism.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:20 pm 

Begs the question if even Tomlin was the best man for the job back when he was hired.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:21 pm 

randomsteelerfan wrote:
IDK. I listened to it. It’s a feel good story. A story of friendship between Fichtner, Butler and Tomlin. He seems like a genuine, likeable guy.

But, the interview just makes me feel worse about this team/staff. All I can think of is are these the best qualified guys? I mean, other than history, what makes them the best choices to be the coaching triumvirate braintrust?

Tomlin trusts them? Um, okay. Just wreaks of nepotism.

I agree..this isn't camp kumbaya..this is big business..whats he gonna bring to upgrade? who gives a shit they love each other?im annoyed the only change is haley.. id rather have tomlin all alone since hes untouchable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:23 pm 

955876 wrote:
Begs the question if even Tomlin was the best man for the job back when he was hired.

Way too much nepotism and quid-pro-quo for me.....I'd be ok with it all if Tomlin is replaced.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:27 pm 

955876 wrote:

Meh. Russ Grimm vs Mike Tomlin. Regardless of what Tomlin has evolved into, I don’t think the Steelers fucked up that choice.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:27 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
And Butler doesn’t get a complete pass because every team has key injuries...the best coaches overcome them.

It's not even just that. It wasn't just bad defense, it was NO defense. Two playoff games in a row.

Imagine a sales guy - two years in a row - presenting to your biggest potential new client. And doesn't just do a bad presentation, but drops his pants and takes a giant dump on the table. That guy still has a job? !? After doing it once, much less twice?!?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:30 pm 

randomsteelerfan wrote:
Meh. Russ Grimm vs Mike Tomlin. Regardless of what Tomlin has evolved into, I don’t think the Steelers fucked up that choice.

Ehhhh, you're forgetting the 3rd name that was actually in the mix - Ron Rivera.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:32 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

It's not even just that. It wasn't just bad defense, it was NO defense. Two playoff games in a row.

Imagine a sales guy - two years in a row - presenting to your biggest potential new client. And doesn't just do a bad presentation, but drops his pants and takes a giant dump on the table. That guy still has a job? !? After doing it once, much less twice?!?

And for all B2Bs optimism about the offense, wtf about the defense? Really. Who cares if Fichtner is an upgrade. This defense is horrid. Jeemie’s right. Talk of injuries is masking the real problem with the D. Shitty ass coaching. That won’t improve if the staff remains intact.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:34 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
randomsteelerfan wrote:

Ehhhh, you're forgetting the 3rd name that was actually in the mix - Ron Rivera.

Forgot about Ronnie.