It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Easier to switch to 4-3
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:00 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
I've been in favor of a move to 4-3 since Scrunge has been proposing it. I'm still wondering if it could have been done this past season after Shaz went down.

We've been discussing it here and hoping for it for awhile. I think its way overdue to get back to the 4-3.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:15 am 

I'm all for going to the 4-3... as soon as you tell me how switching solves the fact that we don't like our edge players. IMO, if you switch to 4-3 it makes our edge players look even more lacking.

I think a 4-3 Weakside DE is really hard to find. I can't see Watt holding up to that job. Maybe Dupree fits there but that's like starting over with him.

Honestly, move Watt to ILB, Dupree to LOLB, continue to play a lot of packages and 4-3 looks vs certain personnel and this D isn't that far away.

I think they could use another EDGE, preferably a stout vs run defender who is suited to play ROLB. I think they should have stuck with that interest in a situational pass rusher, too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:42 am 

Scunge wrote:
People on this forum just aren't buying unfortunately. They are sold on the Dick LeBeau 3-4 defense, think it is just fine, love the flexibility that it gives you, blah, blah, blah.

Oh, it is flexible all right, it gives opposing teams so much flexibility in destroying your defense. That dagger to the heart in Sunday's game, the long 45 yard pass play to Keenan Cole, burning Artie Burns, was another one of those old, reliable LeBeau weaknesses of a 3-4 defense. That play has killed us so many times over the years and the Jags dialed it up when they needed it to get the 14 point lead again.

I hear so many excuses of why we can't switch to a 4-3, and they are all lame and feeble. It is possible to find 3 and even 4 players in a given year.

In 2016 we got Burns, Davis and Hargrave.

In 2017 we got Watt, Sutton and Allen in the draft and Hilton, Haden and Alualu as free agents.
This past year we added 6 players through the draft and free agency. This team moved on from Harrison, is about ready to cut Willie Gay. Art Moats will not be brought back, Mike Mitchell and JJ Wilcox will give this team over $8 million in cap savings and should both be cut as well.

This team, finally, is rid of any players with deep ties to LeBeau, there are no vets left. It is a blank slate, the switch to a 4-3 won't get any better than right now.

I honestly believe that we could draft 3 players and pursue two more Alualu type of free agents and make the switch. I also agree with some of your assertions that they were starting to go in the 4-3 direction. Using Heyward as your primary pass rusher, as the focal point of your pass rush, dropping your OLBs into coverage more than ever before, not blitzing as much, starting to explore man to man concepts when Haden was healthy and playing.

All of that sure looked like they were trending towards a 4-3 to me. The thing for me is that they have a young team now, and trying to maintain this 3-4 base, the old 3-4 Dick LeBeau AND also do these new 4-3 looks is just counterproductive, it is just confusing. Better to just move on to the 4-3 full-time as the base defense and simplify things for everybody.

My signature shows you what I think of Watt, I think he could be the MLB, say he is our Brian Urlacher now in the middle of the field. Unlike Williams, he truly has the speed to go sideline to sideline and he also is just naturally gifted in pass coverage. Yeah, if you keep Bud Dupree at OLB he could be like Anthony Barr in Minnesota who plays their Sam linebacker. If you went that route you only need to find a weak side 'Will' outside linebacker, a Telvin Smith type, smaller, faster, usually a former safety in college. Every draft has these players, we could find one in round 2 or 3 this season, Telvin Smith was drafted by Jacksonville in round 5.

Yeah, I want to see Heyward and Hargrave play next to each other inside as the starting DTs and for both to play about 75% of the snaps with that 3rd DT coming in and spelling them and playing 50% of the snaps. I think you could see 25-30 sacks produced just from that trio inside. Tuitt has great size and length to really cause problems if you move him around at DE and line him up wide at times. I saw them do some of that this season but injuries really derailed some plans I think that they had in store for him.

I think we are so close, they just need to pull the trigger and make it happen.

I'm on board with u all the way..been saying this since dick was ushered out.. watching games now the teams I see looking good on defense and pressure always seem to be in 4-3 for sometime now. nfl evolves and the 3-4 is old and stale as the 4-3 was prior. time is now.. why I wanted butler gone. new coaches and new scheme..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:57 am 

Use the money you would save by letting Bell walk and sign Demarcus Lawrence...15 million is better served on a guy that can get to the QB consistantly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:03 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I'm all for going to the 4-3... as soon as you tell me how switching solves the fact that we don't like our edge players. IMO, if you switch to 4-3 it makes our edge players look even more lacking.

I think a 4-3 Weakside DE is really hard to find. I can't see Watt holding up to that job. Maybe Dupree fits there but that's like starting over with him.

Honestly, move Watt to ILB, Dupree to LOLB, continue to play a lot of packages and 4-3 looks vs certain personnel and this D isn't that far away.

I think they could use another EDGE, preferably a stout vs run defender who is suited to play LOLB. I think they should have stuck with that interest in a situational pass rusher, too.

Simple, moving to a 4-3 allows us to reassign those edge players and bring in REAL ones. This way we only need to worry about one front 7 position instead of 2 or 3.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:35 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

I think they could use another EDGE, preferably a stout vs run defender who is suited to play LOLB. I think they should have stuck with that interest in a situational pass rusher, too.

I would rather them move to a hybrid defense with 2 DTs that play 2 gap in the middle and two outside players. They can be OLB or DE.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:26 pm 

jebrick wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

I would rather them move to a hybrid defense with 2 DTs that play 2 gap in the middle and two outside players. They can be OLB or DE.

That’s exactly the defense we played in 2017 on like 2/3 of the snaps.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:37 pm 

Bud will be here one more season

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:26 am 

jebrick wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

So, no change, then? That's what they did this season.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:32 am 

I hate to be Debbie Downer...No chance the Steelers move to a 43 defense.

Zero