It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Coach P's take....
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:36 pm 

I know some of you dismiss these thoughts, but for those that are interested....

Dear Dave,

Yes, Haley’s gone. Personally, I felt he did more than a reasonable job as OC and you are right about the off-field stuff. In the old days in the NFL, that kind of stuff happened every day and it was never reported. With all the off-field drinking and bar brawls Bobby Layne use to be involved with, he would have been let loose in one week. The same with coaches. Tomlin had to get the heat off him and letting Haley go did that. The reports that Ben and Haley had their problems make me think of Buddy Parker, our coach with the Steelers. I remember one day, he told us in the locker room, “ I don’t care what you guys think of me or what I think of you, just help me win football games.” Ben has an ego and every OC had problems with him. Ken Whisenhut had big problems with him, when Arians first came in, he had problems and now Haley. Even though Randy Fichtner seems to get along with Ben, you can be sure, there will be disagreements. It’s Ben’s nature, he has an ego.

Now look at Bell, as far as being late for the Saturday walk-thru practice and late for Sunday’s game. Just another episode in the lack of discipline under Tomlin’s watch. Did it affect Bell’s play on Sunday? Well, he made a great TD catch and a lateral from Ben for another TD. His immature antics may create a degree of disunity in the locker room and it may not affect Bell’s play but the mental attitude of his teammates. We have to admit, Dave, never will you see anything like this on a Patriot team, Belechik would never let it happen. Brown, Bryant, Bell and even Ben are the biggest problem why the Steelers fall short. They all have great talent and are the four” B’s” but talent isn’t enough when the “ Bees” are putting their “stinger” in to the team with their personal egos. Joe
Greene said it best when he talked to the Steeler team in the locker room before a game this past season. He said, “ you have to learn to play as a team and not as individuals” In the NFL, you have to have a team leader in the locker room, a true bona fide leader where everybody deeply respects. Chuck Noll operated the same way as Paul Brown, who he played for and I was blessed to have as a teammate. Mike McCormack was our team captain and leader, an outstanding offensive tackle. Paul Brown appointed Mike captain and told him that he was responsible for all that went on in the locker room.. He told Mike that if it involved something that Mike couldn’t handle, then he would go to Paul to tell him about it. Chuck did the same thing with Joe Greene. Back in the 70’s when the Steelers were winning Super Bowls, one year, in the middle of the season, Gilliam, the backup QB was coming late to meetings and it was evident that he was having a drug problem. Joe went to Gilliam, sat down with him and said, “ look, all of us are determined that we want to win another Super Bowl this year. In order to do so, we all have to be on 100 percent mental and physical cylinders. You are not. Stay away from that guy in McKeesport who you are getting your drugs from.” After a weeks went by, Gilliam’s behavior was still indicating drug use. Joe sat down with him again and said, “ look, you refuse to listen, I’m going to the “old man” ( Coach Noll) to tell him you refuse to listen.” Joe went to Chuck, told him and Chuck said, “ Okay, Joe, tell all of the guys to keep it under their hats and when the season is over, Gilliam’s cut.” Within a week, after the season’s end, Chuck cut him. The Steelers won four Super Bowls because of great talent and a great coach who knew how to run and control his team.

Dick LeBeau told me that his 2008 defense was the greatest defensive team he ever coached, on the field and off the field. He said that he had a great team leader in Jim Farrior. He said, “ Jim was like a coach on the field for me and in the locker room, he was a tremendous team leader.” The Steelers won the Super Bowl that year because of great defensive talent and a great defensive coach who his players loved and respected. Tomlin was a benefactor.

God Bless,

Bill

Post subject: Re: Coach P's take....
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:27 pm 

Swiss - what’s Coach P’s background?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:47 pm 

No offense Swiss, but Coach P's take blows donkey dick. I think talking about ego is a bullshit explanation for a few reasons. Did Ben not have an ego when he won two super bowls? Did James Harrison not have an ego when he made big plays in the super bowl? Do you think Holmes lacked an ego? Ego is always an ex post just-so story. Why didn't we hear about Ben and Brown's ego after two playoff wins last year?

Also....he focused his take on offense's ego, but nary a word re defense.

Just a really bad, shitty take.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:53 pm 

What great QB doesn’t have an ego?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:14 pm 

You can have an ego, but you need to check it at the door when it comes to team and unity and winning.

The discipline needs to be turned up. We need a new Farrior. Tough to have a similar parallel like the Green/Chuck story these days.

Everyone is too distracted by their own Brand.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:16 pm 

BethlehemSteel wrote:
You can have an ego, but you need to check it at the door when it comes to team and unity and winning.

The discipline needs to be turned up. We need a new Farrior. Tough to have a similar parallel like the Green/Chuck story these days.

Everyone is too distracted by their own Brand.

that's a good way to put it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:28 pm 

I don't think it's the ego, I think the problem is that Ben - like the HC - would rather be a buddy than a leader. Because being a leader means sometimes you have to yell and be a dick, both of which bother Ben quite a bit.

Maybe the QB doesn't have to be THE leader on the team, but I don't know. AB sets a fine example with his work ethic and competitiveness, but he might be a little too self-involved. Forget Bell.

My guess is it needs to be Heyward and Pouncey.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:45 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
Swiss - what’s Coach P’s background?

He was my high school coach, Suwanee. He's North Braddock native, went to Pitt...played with some all-time greats there, like Joe Schmidt. After a stint in the army, played for Packers, Steelers, Browns. His roommate in Cleveland Browns camp, in 1958, was Dick LeBeau. LeBeau was drafted in the 4th round out of Ohio State, by the Browns, who cut him.

Priatko and LeBeau have been best of friends ever since. Due to this, Coach P spent alot of time around the Steelers when LeBeau was there.

Other big influence on Priatko were his Browns teammate, Chuck Noll, and of course, Paul Brown, who was his coach with the Browns.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:47 pm 

Zeke5123 wrote:
No offense Swiss, but Coach P's take blows donkey dick. I think talking about ego is a bullshit explanation for a few reasons. Did Ben not have an ego when he won two super bowls? Did James Harrison not have an ego when he made big plays in the super bowl? Do you think Holmes lacked an ego? Ego is always an ex post just-so story. Why didn't we hear about Ben and Brown's ego after two playoff wins last year?

Also....he focused his take on offense's ego, but nary a word re defense.

Just a really bad, shitty take.

I think ego was probably not a great choice of words, Zeke. I know that Coach P has considered Ben to be somewhat of a drama queen (my words, not his). He recognizes Ben's greatness, but has always had a problem with his commentary, willingness to throw others under the bus, etc.

I posted this primarily for all to see the route by which Keith Butler becomes Steeler DC.

Granted, Coach P has intense loyalty to LeBeau, with good reason.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:48 pm 

Kind of agree with Zeke here, Swiss.

On a day the defense got raped, Coach P sends all his barbs the O’s way?’

At least we know he doesn’t like Tomlin. And interesting to “get the heat off himself”, Tomlin had to let Haley go as opposed to make any defensive changes.

Of course, if he was running the D and making the D calls, he would be damning himself if he changed it up there.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next