It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coach P's take....
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:02 am 

Obviously wrote:
Thanks for posting that, Swiss. Coach P. is 90% on the money. The 10% was saying Haley did a reasonable job. That was too kind. Two money quotes: "Just another episode in the lack of discipline under Tomlin’s watch." and "We have to admit, Dave, never will you see anything like this on a Patriot team, Belechik would never let it happen."

Root cause.

Compared to Butler I think Haley did an outstanding job so I lean more to coach P’s thinking. It’s still hard for me to see how bad this defense has become. It’s an absolute embarrassment for a Steelers team to field that kind of D. Cam Heyward can preach to those guys on the sideline until he explodes- not going to change shit.

Art2 needs an intervention and this D needs a reinvention.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:56 am 

Suwanee88 wrote:
Obviously wrote:
Thanks for posting that, Swiss. Coach P. is 90% on the money. The 10% was saying Haley did a reasonable job. That was too kind. Two money quotes: "Just another episode in the lack of discipline under Tomlin’s watch." and "We have to admit, Dave, never will you see anything like this on a Patriot team, Belechik would never let it happen."

Root cause.

Compared to Butler I think Haley did an outstanding job so I lean more to coach P’s thinking. It’s still hard for me to see how bad this defense has become. It’s an absolute embarrassment for a Steelers team to field that kind of D. Cam Heyward can preach to those guys on the sideline until he explodes- not going to change shit.

Art2 needs an intervention and this D needs a reinvention.

Maybe, but after the defense just left Jacksonville march all over them on the opening drive (for the life of me, I will never understand why Mike Tomlin chose to let his defense- the obvious weak link- open the game), Haley should have realized he needed to cut the offense loose.

Instead he opens five wide and has Ben throwing screens, followed by a second drive where he runs the ball twice (outside against a fast defense one time).

And the fourth and shorts.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:20 am 

Coach P. sent me this at 3:47pm last Sunday. As you can see, like us, he's a Steeler fan, and has the additional history of having played for the team, personally known so many of the people instrumental to the team's success, etc.

Like anyone, tough to be totally, totally objective where personal relationships are involved. This is a guy who....

*Knew Dick Haley, thus knew Todd Haley as a kid. Trust me though... Coach P. knows that Todd Haley is a dick, probably better than any of us, though he would never describe him that way. While Coach P. describes the days of Buddy Parker/Buddy Layne, the drinking, the carousing, etc., I can tell you that he endorses none of that. He's always been a clean-living, spiritual, religious guy. He's the only coach I've ever had that doesn't swear.

I sent him a copy of The Manifesto, before doing so, I went in, extracted all the swears. My brother asked me why I would do that for him, not do it for our mother. My response was that Coach P. never called me a sonofabitch. Mom, rest her soul, denied that, but it's true. It wasn't me individually, but me and my three brothers collectively.....long summer day, my dad still cutting hear in his shop...before, in his words...."The goddamn Beatles ruined my business." We're driving her crazy, she let's out, "You sonsabitches!"

*Has been best friends with Dick Lebeau for 60 years...and has a tough time reconciling that LeBeau was let go for a guy that we can all see, is just a JAG, and the manner in which he was let go.

Been amazing over the years, that Coach P. is usually correct in how he sees Steeler games going. Wish that would have been the case last Sunday...

Dear Dave,

Rather than send this after the game and the Steelers win, I send it now, in the fourth quarter. The game is over. I told Dan when it was 21-0 that not to worry, the Steelers will win. There are certain things in life that are destiny. I could see when the Jacquars picked up the fumble and went in for a TD to make it 28-7. What did it was the taunting call. As a result, the Steelers got the ball at mid-field and went in for Bryant’s TD catch with :35 to go in the half. That was very big. A big play was the Jacquar called for a late hit out of bounds. Our Steeler guy hit the Jacquar in to the out of bounds receiver. We got lucky.

Another sign was when it was 21-0, Polozsny, the Jacquar LB dropped a pick. In fourth quarter, we block a punt, very big. Even though, the Jacquars just scored to make it 35-21, the Steelers will win, it is destiny. It is evident now as it is now 35-28. Let’ see what Bortles does. The Titan DE said, “ when the game is on the line, Bortles will choke.”

Relax, we are on our way to Foxboro, where destiny will continue.

God Bless,

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:29 am 

when presented with my first opportunity to finally attend a game @ TRS years after my fandom began.....Had the same eeire feeling about overconfidence and too much player talking. capped by that stupid SB video

This aligns with your other OP thread on feeling sorry for us non WPAs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:44 am 

Thanks for posting that shit, Beth. Being a glutton for punishment, I just watched that entire vid. That game still remains as the most painful in Steeler history, IMO.

Had gotten Mrs. Swiss the fuck outta the house with my then 5-year old daughter to a kids birthday party. Was home watching, my then 2-year old son with me. For a split second, I thought the 4th down pass to Foster was complete. When realized that Dennis Fuckin' Gibson had made the play, I screamed repeatedly...."FUCK...FUCK...FUCK...FUCK!!!" My kid's looking at me, all wide-eyed.

That game sucked....much worse than last week's actually.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:48 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
Thanks for posting that shit, Beth. Being a glutton for punishment, I just watched that entire vid. That game still remains as the most painful in Steeler history, IMO.

Had gotten Mrs. Swiss the fuck outta the house with my then 5-year old daughter to a kids birthday party. Was home watching, my then 2-year old son with me. For a split second, I thought the 4th down pass to Foster was complete. When realized that Dennis Fuckin' Gibson had made the play, I screamed repeatedly...."FUCK...FUCK...FUCK...FUCK!!!" My kid's looking at me, all wide-eyed.

That game sucked....much worse than last week's actually.

I was in that end zone facing O’Donnell’s front. The reactions of the faithful and the Chargers players said it all. What an awful feeling

Last weeks game doesn’t approach that feeling. I’m too comfortable with the fact tomlins misery isn’t going to ruin my winters anymore. I can just ask he be booted, not to my liking of course.

Let’s see what EMR says in his yearly wrap

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:50 am 

Kodiak wrote:
I don't think it's the ego, I think the problem is that Ben - like the HC - would rather be a buddy than a leader. Because being a leader means sometimes you have to yell and be a dick, both of which bother Ben quite a bit.

Maybe the QB doesn't have to be THE leader on the team, but I don't know. AB sets a fine example with his work ethic and competitiveness, but he might be a little too self-involved. Forget Bell.

My guess is it needs to be Heyward and Pouncey.

Decastro..not Pouncey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:39 pm 

Zeke5123 wrote:
No offense Swiss, but Coach P's take blows donkey dick. I think talking about ego is a bullshit explanation for a few reasons. Did Ben not have an ego when he won two super bowls? Did James Harrison not have an ego when he made big plays in the super bowl? Do you think Holmes lacked an ego? Ego is always an ex post just-so story. Why didn't we hear about Ben and Brown's ego after two playoff wins last year?

Also....he focused his take on offense's ego, but nary a word re defense.

Just a really bad, shitty take.

He’s spot on regarding Ben and Bell. Doesn’t mean they can’t have success, but don’t claim either are great leaders. Personally, I think Ben’s a shitty leader. He’s a fake leader. He’s learned to say the correct thing most of the time thru early career experience, but he almost always fails to say the correct thing after the shit hits the fan.

As for ego, it’s absolutely necessary and they all have it. But, when the gap between success and failure is narrowest, that’s when ego gets in the way. That’s what I think Coach P is saying and I agree with him 100%

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:24 pm 

StillerInCT wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
I don't think it's the ego, I think the problem is that Ben - like the HC - would rather be a buddy than a leader. Because being a leader means sometimes you have to yell and be a dick, both of which bother Ben quite a bit.

Maybe the QB doesn't have to be THE leader on the team, but I don't know. AB sets a fine example with his work ethic and competitiveness, but he might be a little too self-involved. Forget Bell.

Decastro..not Pouncey

No, Kodiak is correct with those two.

DD is too soft and doesn't seem like a team leader. Not even sure how you could think DD would ever be a leader like Pouncey.

I actually think Pouncey is the leader of this entire team, with Heyward in a close second.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:36 pm 

Hinestuff wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
Kodiak wrote:

Decastro..not Pouncey

No, Kodiak is correct with those two.

DD is too soft and doesn't seem like a team leader. Not even sure how you could think DD would ever be a leader like Pouncey.

I actually think Pouncey is the leader of this entire team, with Heyward in a close second.

Agreed. Ben’s too passive aggressive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next