It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: An article on possible Shazier replacments
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:19 am 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/5ff0773f-3c7e-3cbd-8c4e-d5836782f673/ss_5-free-agent-linebackers-that.html

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: An article on possible Shazier replacments
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:24 am 

alancac98 wrote:

For me, it looks to be behind a paywall?

Never mind- just some weird shit going on.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:50 pm 

I think Demario Davis fills the role well. Not a fan of Todd Davis from Denver. I do think his teammate Corey Nelson better fills the ILB role for the Steelers. Nelson was IR'd this past season. Hitchens was talked about as was Bostic. I believe the Skins are currently negotiating a new contract with Brown to re-sign him. Looks like it's not going well..., "ESPN's John Keim reports the Redskins may not be willing to meet free agent ILB Zach Brown's asking price" http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7510/zach-brown

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:55 pm 

Zach Brown or Demario Davis would be decent replacements, the other 3 not so much

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:09 am 

I had Zach Brown on my wish list last off season.
He got more expensive with another solid season.

Thought his numbers were a bit inflated playing on a Bills team with an offense that kept sending the defense back out.
But another season with the Skins of being around the ball alot, confirms he has good play recognition and has a nose for the ball.

He and Demario Davis on that list are 2 guys to bring in and look at.
Both a little older than the other three on the list...........but both may also be better football minds, read, react, tackle guys.

If the PS stay in the 3-4 is he fast enough in coverage, if he is going to be teamed with Vince Williams.
He had more passes defended than Mike Mitchell.

If they switch to a 4-3..would Zach Brown be the MLB to run that defense.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:50 pm 

Zach Brown is supposedly working on an extension with Washington. Wouldn't mind bringing him in though, gives us some speed at LB.

Demario Davis, love this guy. I was really high on him during the draft process and he has proven to be a good starting LB. I'd be all for bringing him in as Shazier's replacement.

I'd be okay with Hitchens, liked him when he came out. The Dallas defense hasn't been great but he's still young.

Not a big Todd Davis fan, but then again I'm not really a fan of anyone at ILB other Vince Williams.

Like Bostic coming out too but him and Williams together might make the group even worse in coverage.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:14 pm 

I don't know what Demario Davis will cost, but at a reasonable price, I'd take him and draft an ILB, too.

Safety continues to be a bigger concern for me. All those long distance plays last year hurt. Even with all the trouble stopping the run, if one of our safeties makes a play on a deep ball or comes up on a good angle to stop one of those long runs vs Jax 1 or Chicago, the entire post-season narrative is different.

Not only do we need to upgrade Mitchell-- we don't have any depth, either. Sign a safety AND draft one. Please. At least.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:17 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I don't know what Davis will cost, but at a reasonable price, I'd take him and draft an ILB, too.

Safety continues to be a bigger concern for me. All those long distance plays last year hurt. Even with all the trouble stopping the run, if one of our safeties makes a play on a deep ball or comes up on a good angle to stop one of those long runs vs Jax 1 or Chicago, the entire post-season narrative is different.

Not only do we need to upgrade Mitchell-- we don't have any depth, either. Sign a safety AND draft one. Please. At least.

Get ready for another season of MM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:36 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
I don't know what Davis will cost, but at a reasonable price, I'd take him and draft an ILB, too.

Get ready for another season of MM

I'd be shocked if Mitchell isn't back. Which is nauseating. My other worst fear is letting Bell walk and spending that money on the next wave of Cody Sensabaughs/Ryan Moats'/Ross Cockrells/Cam Thomases. Their recent history with free agents on the defensive side of the ball isn't exactly exciting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:38 pm 

Curious if you guys have any thoughts on Josey Jewell out of Iowa. Life long Hawkeyes fan here. We could probably get him in the 4th round which would be great value IMO. The kid works his ass off, he has been a beast the past couple seasons and his head is in the right place.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... rt-of-gold

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:38 pm 

Mitchell might be retainable at that price but only if Bell signs a long term deal and Shazier retires. The argument for keeping him is: we have ZERO depth at the position.

That $5M cap savings for a declining player, though... tempting, I'm sure.