It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: James "THE KING" Harrison
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:32 pm 

randomsteelerfan wrote:
Obviously wrote:
Bill Belichick picked up James Harrison. That's all I need to know whether or not Deebo had anything left in the tank. It's fucking laughable to me some would trust Tomlin's or Butler's or Porter's judgment over Belichick's.

That means nothing. The Pats had nothing as far as edge rushers. They had zero to lose. How many flyers has Belichick taken on castoffs? The act means zero.

That being said, who said anyone trusted Tomlin/Butler over Belichick. Why is it so difficult for some to understand that the Steelers didn't want him and it might have zero to do with whether they thought he could play anymore? Did they dump LeGarrette Blount because they didn't think he could play? How about Santonio Holmes?

Agree or disagree, it isn't hard to come up with reasons why the Steelers decided to move on from him. Reasons other than playing ability.

Let's face it. The real complaint here is that the Steelers did not modify their defensive schemes to accommodate what the strength Harrison has left. My feeling in this is that Harrison simply could not drop into coverage the way they ask their LBs to. And so after he became a malcontent, they dumped his ass. Should Tomlin have modified the defense around Harrison's remaining abilities? I assume some on here are going to say yes. I'm not in a position to make that call.

So I agree that they likely knew James still had some juice in the bottle and dumped his ass anyway. Couldn't do well what they wanted their lbs to do in coverage.

Who knows.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:42 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
randomsteelerfan wrote:
Obviously wrote:
Bill Belichick picked up James Harrison. That's all I need to know whether or not Deebo had anything left in the tank. It's fucking laughable to me some would trust Tomlin's or Butler's or Porter's judgment over Belichick's.

That means nothing. The Pats had nothing as far as edge rushers. They had zero to lose. How many flyers has Belichick taken on castoffs? The act means zero.

That being said, who said anyone trusted Tomlin/Butler over Belichick. Why is it so difficult for some to understand that the Steelers didn't want him and it might have zero to do with whether they thought he could play anymore? Did they dump LeGarrette Blount because they didn't think he could play? How about Santonio Holmes?

Agree or disagree, it isn't hard to come up with reasons why the Steelers decided to move on from him. Reasons other than playing ability.

Let's face it. The real complaint here is that the Steelers did not modify their defensive schemes to accommodate what the strength Harrison has left. My feeling in this is that Harrison simply could not drop into coverage the way they ask their LBs to. And so after he became a malcontent, they dumped his ass. Should Tomlin have modified the defense around Harrison's remaining abilities? I assume some on here are going to say yes. I'm not in a position to make that call.

So I agree that they likely knew James still had some juice in the bottle and dumped his ass anyway. Couldn't do well what they wanted their lbs to do in coverage.

Who knows.

Well stated.

But, it's way more fun to claim we're smarter than that idiot Tomlin because we knew James could still play.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:49 pm 

randomsteelerfan wrote:
But, it's way more fun to claim we're smarter than that idiot Tomlin because we knew James could still play.
You forgot to include "dumbfuck" or "Shitstain" in your response.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:51 pm 

Quote:
The Pats had nothing as far as edge rushers.

I’m going to exclude Watt because he’s a rookie and in my opinion had a solid year. So he escapes criticism.

At the same time though, he wasn’t exactly someone who could absolutely be counted on come postseason due to his lack of experience and rookie wall etc.

And behind him we had:

Bud the Dud Dupree

Arthur Can’t Get Across the Moat

Anthony Chicken Lil Chickillo

I’d say we had nothing at edge rusher as well.

And call me crazy but I want my OLBs to rush the passer first and and be able to drop into coverage second.

That excuse is getting sooo tired.

Sure it’s good when they have that ability. But to act like you can’t sub a guy in knowing he’s going to rush and someone else is going to have to cover is nonsense.

Last edited by 955876 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:55 pm 

955876 wrote:
Quote:

I’m going to exclude Watt because he’s a rookie and in my opinion had a solid year. So he escapes criticism.

At the same time though, he wasn’t exactly someone who could absolutely be counted on come postseason due to his lack of experience and rookie wall etc.

And behind him we had:

Bud the Dud Dupree

Depends on how much you want the edge rushers to rush.

Tomlin may be looking at coverage ability and be satisfied with his group.

Not endorsing, just giving a possible explanation.

WE are complaining that our OLBs are not getting to the QB bc WE want the defense to be a certain something. Maybe a Tomlin wanted something else that puts a greater premium on coverage than rushing. And JH maybe just could not do what Tonlin wants his LBs to do.

NOT ENDORSING THIS.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:03 pm 

I edited to address that

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:25 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
955876 wrote:
Quote:

And behind him we had:

Bud the Dud Dupree

Depends on how much you want the edge rushers to rush.

Tomlin may be looking at coverage ability and be satisfied with his group.

Not endorsing, just giving a possible explanation.

WE are complaining that our OLBs are not getting to the QB bc WE want the defense to be a certain something. Maybe a Tomlin wanted something else that puts a greater premium on coverage than rushing. And JH maybe just could not do what Tonlin wants his LBs to do.

NOT ENDORSING THIS.

I think the Steelers are in the process of doing what posters here have wanted them to do for a long time: create a D that can stop the Patriots, one where they play man coverage and get pressure up the middle which is how you pressure Brady. So the pressure isn't coming as much from the OLB's. They are asking the OLB's to do different things than they historically have, things which I guess aren't strengths of Harrison's. Still not sure why they couldn't just put him on the field at times and just have him rush the passer anyway, like at the ends of games or something.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:48 pm 

Steelers have always built their team to win their own division.

Back in the day, the 49ers built their team not for their division but to beat the Cowboys because they were the biggest obstacle to reaching the SB.

Both approaches have merit. And I agree with you that we’ve likely done things with beating the Pats in mind. Would be dumb not to

Problem for us is by the time we finally build a team to beat the Pats Brady will be gone, Ben will be on his last leg, and a new bully will roam the block punking us.

Gotta deliver next season...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:26 am 

randomsteelerfan wrote:
Obviously wrote:

...and for the umpteenth time, whether he could contribute to the Steelers or not....why giftwrap him and let him walk over to the New England Patriots on the eve of the playoffs. In-fuckin'-defensible!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:51 am 

955876 wrote:
Quote:

And behind him we had:

Bud the Dud Dupree

And call me crazy but I want my OLBs to rush the passer first and and be able to drop into coverage second.

That excuse is getting sooo tired.

Sure it’s good when they have that ability. But to act like you can’t sub a guy in knowing he’s going to rush and someone else is going to have to cover is nonsense.

Bud and Watt had nearly the exact same season in terms of productivity. I would rather have them pass rushing more (and better), too... but the fact that they are good at an all-around game is a strength that coaches are exploiting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next