It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Boomer addresses the elephant in the room
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:09 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
The only thing that makes sense to me is refs giving Pats the benefit of implicit bias.

Lol!

Pm the show. I have GOT to know.

I think that's the most likely scenario, although my experience is that nothing on TV is completely unscripted other than Jeopardy. All of the reality shows/contest shows, talking heads news shows... none of that is allowed to be random or off-script.

Deal Or No Deal is the show.. I think I've mentioned it before. Actor contestants, suitcases are all taken from the stage and rearranged so that everyone knows which values are where... in fact, I think the exchanges from the hidden negotiator are pre-recorded.

I worked on a poker show where they had a mafia-type fixer who presorted all the decks to create intended outcomes. The show had to stop shooting and restart when one of the contestants got the wrong cards and couldn't perform the game action he was supposed to do/deliver the lines he was given.

Didn't know the show was scripted.

Then again, I never got into it because it was a dumb premise. It's all statistical chance if it's unscripted so all you're really watching is people trying to work me into an emotional response.

The chicks were hot, though. Much better than the UK version of the game.

I kept trying to come up with a viable strategy for how to be a contestant on that game and failed because it all comes down to random chance. Even the offers from the banker seem to be designed to be a 50/50 chance of whether taking the offer or picking more suitcases is the right call. Just play until you get a decent offer then quit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:11 pm 

THe cost of your consumer products are like 20% product and 80% packaging. Accounted margins always adjusted

Check the shrinking sizes on everything and no real cost or price savings to the consumer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:39 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Well, I also worked on Ghost Adventures. I was the sound recordist for an episode shot in Gettysburg. Stayed up all night to record the ghosts... then Zak starts talking about what this ghost is saying and the noise it's making... I'm rolling my eyes, because I have the gear cranked up and have outlier hearing and listening skills... he's totally full of shit.

Haaa...my daughters favorite show. She gets pissed at me because I laugh at her when she gets so “in to” it. :lol: I was going to show her your post...but hey, why ruin her delusion?!? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:52 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
BethlehemSteel wrote:
I know someone who works for one of those viacom companies doing reality shows....... ALL SCRIPTED

I know it's heavily scripted and edited at this point, but what's mind blowing about American Pickers is that someone would actually have made a living driving around the country and going up to people with junk in their yard.

Forget about trying to wrap your head around the economics....doesn't seem like the safest way to earn a living - guessing there's a fairly high frequency of being greeted with a shotgun.

One of my good friends was on American Pickers and he hinted that it is all bullshit scripted nonsense. He was also on Mountain Monsters where he claimed that the "Snallygaster" bit/killed his dog. He can't help but laugh when I ask about that episode...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:54 pm 

its incredible that its always pats that seem to get breaks for refs...tuck rule? who heard of that shit till pats ready to lose..every close call goes for them..james pass ruled incomplete; yet pats get call their way when it helps them beat a team with score..
they commit nothing but incidental fouls that don't matter in the game. every team that faces them seems to complain but its called bitching over spilled milk.. this shit is far more then random luck. over and over..year after year.. they been caught cheating. don't matter..i hope I live long enough for the truth to finally come out..where theres smoke thiers fire!
on positive note now announcers and talking heads are talking about it during and after games..maybe the truth sets us free sooner then later..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:24 pm 

Baltostiller wrote:
One of my good friends was on American Pickers and he hinted that it is all bullshit scripted nonsense. He was also on Mountain Monsters where he claimed that the "Snallygaster" bit/killed his dog. He can't help but laugh when I ask about that episode...

Yeah, it's CLEARLY scripted (especially some of the haggling). I just wonder how much they really "freestyled".

Pawn Stars is another one. Some of the real big ticket stuff brought on is actually another broker showcasing one of their items. It's a small shop, and I heard while they DID have some unusual/unique items, the business was mostly gold, silver and jewelry/watches (like just about every other pawn shop).

I do enjoy both shows, though. It's an interesting way to learn and see some unusual, useless crap. Basically a scripted version of Antiques Road Show (which is heavily edited but otherwise genuine).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:38 pm 

So here's what I would actually like to see: a numerical breakdown of how many times the Patriots got favorable calls vs. how often other teams did. I feel like you could measure it by measuring the following categories:

1. Favorable penalties for you
2. Unfavorable penalties against you
3. Favorable reviews for you
4. Reviews that hurt you
5. Net total yardage expressed as a positive or a negative of all calls from referees

You'd need them all individually, although comparing them would also be helpful. I'd also be interested in quarters -- in other words, if there's a big spike in favorable calls at the end of each half, that would seem to indicate that something weird was going on.

I'm really curious about this now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:55 pm 

Has the Tuck Rule ever been applied other than that one game?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:07 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
I kept trying to come up with a viable strategy for how to be a contestant on that game and failed because it all comes down to random chance. Even the offers from the banker seem to be designed to be a 50/50 chance of whether taking the offer or picking more suitcases is the right call. Just play until you get a decent offer then quit.

Speaking of which, the pending Dutchess of Sussex (that sounds SOOOOO dirty) - a.k.a Meghan Markle - was one of the suitcase girls on Deal or No Deal.

And that's just disappointing about the poker shows. You'd normally have plenty of drama for a half hour if they played for 3-4 hours. Easy money is long over in that racket - big names make their living off "appearance fees" (and the big killing was the Pokerstars IPO).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:48 pm 

Rocky Mtn Stiller wrote:
Has the Tuck Rule ever been applied other than that one game?

It was applied 5 times before it was repealed in 2013.

The first time it was used in 2001 it went against the Pats.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:07 pm 

This "bias" terminology is a euphemism for officials fAvoring and thus determining outcomes for ne. A rose by any other name is still a bastardized ne win under any stars.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:18 pm 

Steeler Fanatic wrote:
So here's what I would actually like to see: a numerical breakdown of how many times the Patriots got favorable calls vs. how often other teams did. I feel like you could measure it by measuring the following categories:

4. Reviews that hurt you
5. Net total yardage expressed as a positive or a negative of all calls from referees

You'd need them all individually, although comparing them would also be helpful. I'd also be interested in quarters -- in other words, if there's a big spike in favorable calls at the end of each half, that would seem to indicate that something weird was going on.

curious as well...but your method might be flawed in that it seems pats seem to get gifts at VERY key points in games.!! weather its a flag on the other team or rulings on a review. sheer number of flags and yards may not be as telling without the timing and context of the zebras actions

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:52 pm 

Jeopardy contestants are screened through analytics, show producers now know which categories favor which contestants and sometimes categories are random sometimes their not. Even a TV quiz show has controlled to semi controlled outcomes. The tournament of champions and college and HS events are clean.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:59 pm 

The picture of the laughing ref in the middle of their TD celebration that made it 14-10 was not helpful.

But it made me think that if they are fixing things in favor of the Pats...they’re almost shoving it in our faces.

From the moment of that Falcons/Rams game where Kraft was in the booth with Goodell.

That just rubbed me the wrong way- no owner whose team is in the playoffs should be anywhere NEAR Roger Goodell while the playoffs are going on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:15 am 

Jeemie wrote:
The picture of the laughing ref in the middle of their TD celebration that made it 14-10 was not helpful.

But it made me think that if they are fixing things in favor of the Pats...they’re almost shoving it in our faces.

From the moment of that Falcons/Rams game where Kraft was in the booth with Goodell.

That just rubbed me the wrong way- no owner whose team is in the playoffs should be anywhere NEAR Roger Goodell while the playoffs are going on.

I've never been comfortable with how close Kraft and Goodell have been.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:46 pm 

Here's another peg in the pole about the NFL making sure NE wins again this year. He may retire to focus on the Reality TV show or continue next year to milk more cash and Brand recog, Please GOD, make it stop!!

Quote:
Former NFL kicker Jay Feely said Gisele Bundchen asked him to convince Tom Brady to retire after last season.

Feely, a college teammate of Brady's at the University of Michigan, wasn't much help, advising the five-time Super Bowl champ to "play as long as [he] can." It's not the first time Bundchen has expressed this sentiment as Brady admitted his wife begged him to hang up his cleats after defeating the Falcons in last year's Super Bowl. Brady may have hid a concussion in 2016 and has battled various injuries throughout this season, though he still turned in another MVP-caliber year. Despite his wife's wishes, there's no indication the 40-year-old has any desire to call it quits.
Source: Boston.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:29 pm 

bam morris wrote:
Steeler Fanatic wrote:

4. Reviews that hurt you

curious as well...but your method might be flawed in that it seems pats seem to get gifts at VERY key points in games.!! weather its a flag on the other team or rulings on a review. sheer number of flags and yards may not be as telling without the timing and context of the zebras actions

The problem there is trying to define what qualifies as a "key point". That's why I wanted it broken down by quarter. I'm thinking that you would need to break down all of the above by when you are down, when you are up, and when the game is tied. I think that would get at what you are talking about. In other words, if the flags fly on opposing teams when the Patriots are down, but stop when they're up, that would be pretty suspicious.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next