It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smart Uniforms Played On Smart Fields
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:25 am 

Gentlemen we can rebuild this. We have the technology........(unfortunately I am not talking about Mike Tomlin’s brain).

I keep reading conspiracy theories about referees involving the Patriots. I am not a buyer. I compare this to a good hitter getting an extended strike zone, but why not improve this game?

Why is the NFL still relying on middle aged men running around a field and at the same time trying to watch for infractions and using flags to point them out? Why are they using chains to measure first downs?

They are only using cameras to react to plays after the fact or review TD’s. There are a lot more plays and decisions leading up to TD’s that improved technology can help get right. I am not necessarily a high tech guy, but I am certain the NFL competition committee could find people to generate working ideas to help officiating.

Then again Tomlin is on this committee.

Post subject: Re: Smart Uniforms Played On Smart Fields
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:53 am 

Call me old fashioned but I like the game including the human element. I like a controversy due in part by human imperfection. It's when that imperfection is generated through a script that I have issue. I believe that technology will only create another but harder to detect means of scripting the game. Why question technology, its precise and without the flawed human element, right? The NFL doesn't want it to be perfectly right. The NFL wants the human flawed controversy. It's the scripted controversy I don't like. When officiating manipulates the outcome of a game.
I've never liked all the rules changes and modifications over the years. Some rules needed to be modified for player safety sure but to the extent that it affects the way the game unfolds because it favors offenses was the turning point for me. I'm a 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' kind of guy and I was happy with the way the NFL was before goodell took office. Like I said, I realize some changes needed to be made. I believe some were made in the guise of player safety that help script what unfolds on Sundays, Mondays and now Thursdays.
Football has grown too big for its own good. Not about the human element and the fierce competition anymore. IMO, it's about the dollar. Football the way I remember it is dead. RIP.

Post subject: Re: Smart Uniforms Played On Smart Fields
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:48 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Call me old fashioned but I like the game including the human element. I like a controversy due in part by human imperfection. It's when that imperfection is generated through a script that I have issue. I believe that technology will only create another but harder to detect means of scripting the game. Why question technology, its precise and without the flawed human element, right? The NFL doesn't want it to be perfectly right. The NFL wants the human flawed controversy. It's the scripted controversy I don't like. When officiating manipulates the outcome of a game.
I've never liked all the rules changes and modifications over the years. Some rules needed to be modified for player safety sure but to the extent that it affects the way the game unfolds because it favors offenses was the turning point for me. I'm a 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' kind of guy and I was happy with the way the NFL was before goodell took office. Like I said, I realize some changes needed to be made. I believe some were made in the guise of player safety that help script what unfolds on Sundays, Mondays and now Thursdays.
Football has grown too big for its own good. Not about the human element and the fierce competition anymore. IMO, it's about the dollar. Football the way I remember it is dead. RIP.

Good post!