It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Biggest Failure of Tomlin Era?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:15 pm 

I’ve said before we are Phil Mickelson playing in the Tiger Woods era. Talking with my dad about this season today, I told him watching the games yesterday I couldn’t help but feel so damn disappointed in that we weren’t playing. We should have been playing at home, instead I found myself watching the Abu Dhabi Classic for half of the AFCCG game.

Is this the most disappointing season in the Tomlin era? I think for me it is. Before I get flamed because of the 13-3 record, I’ve made my attitude toward regular season “participation trophies” well known. We have Ben; we should be playing for super bowl rings, nothing less.

The talent, the Shalieve motivation, the #2 seed, possible redemption against NE, and we lose to the Jags. Total failure. What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Biggest Failure of Tomlin Era?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:16 pm 

Easily the most crushing loss of the Tomlin era. No way is it the most disappointing season. Unleash hell still owns that one.

I don't think it's even close.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:24 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Easily the most crushing loss of the Tomlin era. No way is it the most disappointing season. Unleash hell still owns that one.

Yeah, not sure about most disappointing.

But that's at least the FOURTH time we've had a crushing and embarassing playoff loss under Tomlin....outcoached and outplayed is far too common of a theme. The last two years, DEN, and the infamous "easing in" SB against GB.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:27 pm 

Things worked out to be setup for success, but the little things got in the way, Which Turned out to BE HUGE things

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:29 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
I’ve said before we are Phil Mickelson playing in the Tiger Woods era. Talking with my dad about this season today, I told him watching the games yesterday I couldn’t help but feel so damn disappointed in that we weren’t playing. We should have been playing at home, instead I found myself watching the Abu Dhabi Classic for half of the AFCCG game.

Is this the most disappointing season in the Tomlin era? I think for me it is. Before I get flamed because of the 13-3 record, I’ve made my attitude toward regular season “participation trophies” well known. We have Ben; we should be playing for super bowl rings, nothing less.

The talent, the Shalieve motivation, the #2 seed, possible redemption against NE, and we lose to the Jags. Total failure. What do you think?

13-3. 1st rnd bye shoulda been #1 seed. Score 42 pts and allow 45 pts to Bortles and Jax...ya most disappointing and embarassing loss for me. Just an epic fail.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:35 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
13-3. 1st rnd bye shoulda been #1 seed. Score 42 pts and allow 45 pts to Bortles and Jax...ya most disappointing and embarassing loss for me. Just an epic fail.

An easier path rarely sets up....should have been the #1 seed hosting NE for the AFCC.

Yeah yeah yeah....13-3, but we had a ridiculously easy schedule this year. I don't expect a Tomlin team to get a bye with a more normal schedule - too consistently inconsistent, unfocused and undisciplined.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:13 pm 

I don't think this is the biggest failure from a seasonal perspective, but the playoff game was right there with the Tebow game and the Ravens wildcard a couple years back.

I never really bought into this team even with the 13-3 record, so I wasn't expecting a super bowl run.

We obviously didn't have championship level coaching, as there are certain types of games that we just can't win because the team isn't coached to win them. I've also thought all year that the talent on this team is overrated. First, our O-line is the most overrated unit in the NFL. When was the last time the O-line dominated a game? Second, our D-line, which is supposed to be a strength, is league average at best. Finally, and most importantly, overall on field IQ needs to be considered part of the talent equation and this group doesn't have it. The team has optimized for athleticism over football IQ/technique for years now, and as a result we have a "chicken-with-their-heads-cut-off" secondary, missed tackles across the entire defense due to bad technique, DB's and WR's who can't play the ball in the air, and offensive skill players with no concept of when to run out of bounds in late half situations. This list could go on for awhile.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:19 pm 

I agree. Easily biggest failure of Tomlin era. Easily.

For me, I lost most of my confidence in Tomlin after last years AFCCG. But, I decided to give him one more shot and the benefit of the doubt for this season. So much for that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:21 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:

Lets hear it for FIGJAM!!!! Tomlin is the new FIGJAM, FUCK, IM GOOD, JUST ASK ME!!! :)

I'm sure we can insert some Caddyshack humor in here!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:24 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
I don't think this is the biggest failure from a seasonal perspective, but the playoff game was right there with the Tebow game and the Ravens wildcard a couple years back.

I never really bought into this team even with the 13-3 record, so I wasn't expecting a super bowl run.

We obviously didn't have championship level coaching, as there are certain types of games that we just can't win because the team isn't coached to win them. I've also thought all year that the talent on this team is overrated. First, our O-line is the most overrated unit in the NFL. When was the last time the O-line dominated a game? Second, our D-line, which is supposed to be a strength, is league average at best. Finally, and most importantly, overall on field IQ needs to be considered part of the talent equation and this group doesn't have it. The team has optimized for athleticism over football IQ/technique for years now, and as a result we have a "chicken-with-their-heads-cut-off" secondary, missed tackles across the entire defense due to bad technique, DB's and WR's who can't play the ball in the air, and offensive skill players with no concept of when to run out of bounds in late half situations. This list could go on for awhile.

Bit of a list there...you blame anyone for that?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:36 pm 

Still Lit wrote:

I don't think it's even close.

Something felt off about this season even before the shameful playoff loss. The series of near-losses to the dregs of the NFL (and the actual loss to the Bears) gave the team a fraudulent feel. The Shazier injury was a sucker punch that took much of the fun away. The loss to the Pats was demoralizing. Then, the run-up to the playoffs was marred by the Harrison drama. Whatever the cause, this was the least fun I've ever had watching a 13-3 Steelers team. The Titans game might have been the only genuinely enjoyable game of the season.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:52 pm 

W&M_Steeler wrote:
The series of near-losses to the dregs of the NFL (and the actual loss to the Bears) gave the team a fraudulent feel.

Yep.....4 B's happened to pull a couple extra games out of their ass they normally don't, otherwise a very typical 11-5 season.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:54 pm 

The season is not a failure. 13 wins is AMAZING!

As others have said, the season set up so well for the Steelers with the breaks they got in the schedule ie Vikings game with Keenum starting on a few hours notice, no Aaron Rodgers, no Andrew Luck, No Deshaun Watson or JJ Watt. Also, Boswell made EVERY big FG in the regular season.

The playoffs, I have come around on. Its Tomlin’s worst. I think this is the worst divisional round loss in my memory. It is the worst playoff loss since Chargers AFCC as far as inferiority of opponent and win expectancy.

I hate Tomlin. I really have no desire to continue having season tickets. I will keep them though for business purposes and in the hopes my kids may want to go to Pittsburgh to see an early season game. I am done going to playoff games while this fucking Dunce is HC.

Still so very frustrated/angry/disappointed :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:55 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:

You have to make choices in how you want to build your team and what attributes you want to put on the field. I don't blame the FO for the choices they've made - except maybe for that brutal Bud Dupree pick. There is certainly upside to having athletes, but as fans we shouldn't be suckered in to thinking that, for example, Martavis Bryant is more talented than Danny Amendola because he's tall and fast. He's got more potential because making Bryant smarter is theoretically possible while making Amendola taller and faster is not. Talent is more than size, speed, vertical leap.

The general public will always overrate physical attributes and underrate IQ and technique, which is why many believe that the Steelers are one of the most talented teams in the league. I don't believe it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:56 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:

For me, this was the worst I've felt after a Tomlin Era loss. But my post here has more to do with your identification of flaws - as you put it, a list that "could go on for awhile." If the team is so heavily flawed, and let's say you're right, what should their record have been with better coaching: 14-2? 15-1? 16-0? It contradicts a shitty coaching job, if the team is that flawed, and late in the year loses by far its best player on defense, and ends up 13-3. The way I look at it, the Steelers have enormous talent at the offensive skill positions (which is why I think letting Bell walk would be a big mistake) and clearly that's why they found themselves in the position they did, with a bye, winning games often in spite of dubious coaching decisions. But, I have to say, I WAS expecting a Super Bowl run, and I'm convinced with no injury to Shazier they get one. It's not just that they lost their elite playmaker, and star of 3rd down situations, it's that the replacement was not even low level NFL caliber. The NE game, lest we forget, was practically a victory, even playing without Shazier and without AB for most of the game. Take away a call at the end that could have gone either way, even with the bad rule in place, and they do win. Different playoff alignment, almost certainly host AFCCG game after victory against Titans. Was very, very close to working out is all I'm saying. In spite of Tomlin, in spite of Haley, in spite of Butler, in spite of the all the flaws you identify. That's what makes it such a gut wrenching loss. It's 8 days later, and I still feel like the Jax game was yesterday. Not a good feeling.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:59 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:

You have to make choices in how you want to build your team and what attributes you want to put on the field. I don't blame the FO for the choices they've made - except maybe for that brutal Bud Dupree pick. There is certainly upside to having athletes, but as fans we shouldn't be suckered in to thinking that, for example, Martavis Bryant is more talented than Danny Amendola because he's tall and fast. He's got more potential because making Bryant smarter is theoretically possible while making Amendola taller and faster is not. Talent is more than size, speed, vertical leap.

The general public will always overrate physical attributes and underrate IQ and technique, which is why many believe that the Steelers are one of the most talented teams in the league. I don't believe it.

For me personally, the big difference between the Steelers at the start of the Tomlin Era and at the end is smarts.

And there appears to be a dearth of team leaders.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:04 pm 

If we lost the AFCCG to the Pats or if we lost the SB to the Iggles, this board would be no less fervent in its Fire Tomlin bloodlust.

Angry Steelers Fans know only two things. 1)Win the Super Bowl or, 2)Fire the Head Coach. If Steelerfury posters were in charge of the Steelers we would have a new HC every Year or 2. It would be like the Al Davis Raiders.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:07 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

An easier path rarely sets up....should have been the #1 seed hosting NE for the AFCC.

Yeah yeah yeah....13-3, but we had a ridiculously easy schedule this year. I don't expect a Tomlin team to get a bye with a more normal schedule - too consistently inconsistent, unfocused and undisciplined.

Two events in the regular season set this season up for failure: 1) Shazier's injury exposing the Steelers reliance on a player, and 2) Tomlin, Haley and Ben SHITTING THE FUCKING BED during the official review of the Outlaw's TD non-catch resulting in loss of home field.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:08 pm 

["Jeemie"]
Lifelongsteel wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:

For me personally, the big difference between the Steelers at the start of the Tomlin Era and at the end is smarts.

And there appears to be a dearth of team leaders.[/quote]

leadership...smarts...more defined roles and concepts...and an in his prime franchise hof QB...i think hes had long enough to find any kind of defense...time for a new chef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:09 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

And there appears to be a dearth of team leaders.

This team has leaders. Unfortunately, they are leaders modeled after their #1 leader - Head Coach Mike Tomlin. Which leads to your other point. Lack of smarts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:12 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
If we lost the AFCCG to the Pats or if we lost the SB to the Iggles, this board would be no less fervent in its Fire Tomlin bloodlust.

Angry Steelers Fans know only two things. 1)Win the Super Bowl or, 2)Fire the Head Coach. If Steelerfury posters were in charge of the Steelers we would have a new HC every Year or 2. It would be like the Al Davis Raiders.

I don’t agree at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:17 pm 

Orange, what don't you agree with?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:26 pm 

It was a great season.. unless you take heart medicine.. late last year I decided to buy myself a defibrillator machine.. not because I have a bad heart.. it was only brought out on Steelers game day, I had to return it after this season, the AED company said it was only good for 12 shocks.. well I used those up quick this year...

This team has had a horrible D for several years.. I thought when old man Dickey retired we would get better.. but hell no we just went with a younger version of dick...Why? because we promised him the job years earlier.....Good old Steelers front office...
Bottom line we keep trotting out the same bullshit D year after year hoping for a different result...

But on a serious note.. I said way back in week 8 that this defense would never win anything... I was right..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:27 pm 

I think you are being overly simplistic, that it’s super bowl or fire tomlin. Hell, I’m more pissed about this failure than losing to the Packers in 2010. I think Lifelong has summed it up nicely. I also think that this team was ill prepared for the road ahead and was too fixated on the Pats rematch than the Jags game. This is the responsibility of the people in charge and they failed.

One thing I was talking to a friend about this weekend; remember the narrative the first 4 weeks of the season regarding the Pats? How atrocious that defense is? I for one think officiating helps them more than any team in the league (not even close), but what they have done to scheme that defense to what it has become is remarkable. Those games against the chiefs, panthers and texans now seem like they happened in alternative universe. Hell, the first half yesterday I thought “wow there is that crap NE defense we saw earlier in the year”, yet they are headed to Minny for another SB.

We went 13-3 and yet I feel like we are no closer to winning another ring, and it has to do with coaching primarily and talent (as Lifelong has well stated earlier in this thread).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:30 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:

Too simplistic. It is the manner in which the team loses in the playoffs that is so maddening. No, I don't expect them to win the Super Bowl every season, but I sure expected they would have at least one more Lombardi given Ben would be the QB all that time and the amount of talent they have accumulated in that time. Instead, we get to watch the Patriots pile up the hardware.