It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Biggest Failure of Tomlin Era?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:33 am 

GreekSteel wrote:
On another note a very underrated talking point is the quality of coaching hires Tomlin makes.

I can't think of many from the Cowher tree having success in the NFL (or the Belicheat tree, oddly).

Say what you will, but Cowher left the FRANCHISE in excellent shape, both players and coaches, for Tomlin. It's alarming when you consider this team has done less as it has become more and more Tomlin's. The core staff and players he took to 2 SB's basically all Cowher guys. Tomlin has even only hired like 7 or 8 coaches that didn't coach or play for Cowher!
- Lebeau already in place as DC
- Arians promoted from WR coach to OC

Let's look at the rest of the current staff (ignoring a few assistant assistants and strength/conditioning guys):
DL: John Mitchell - hired by Cowher
DC: Keith Butler - hired by Cowher
OC: Randy Fitchner (hired 2007)
ST: Danny Smith (hired 2013)
TE: James Daniel (hired 2007)
OL: Mike Munchak (hired 2014)
RB: James Saxon (hired 2014)
Carnell Lake, Jerry Olsavsky, Joey Porter - played for Cowher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:43 am 

GreekSteel wrote:
Tomlin cant wash Cowhers jock strap. Gimme a break, if Cowher had an in his prime Ben for the his entire coaching tenure, hed had have more than 1 SB.

On another note a very underrated talking point is the quality of coaching hires Tomlin makes. Pretty much none of Tomlins hires go on to become head coaches, like you'll probably never hear of a Tomlin coaching tree, ever...Cowher on the hand regularly had his coaching staffs raided for promotions. Munchak is the only quality hire that Tomlin has made, and none of his young new hires will ever amount to anythng, i mean who the hell is gonna hire lake, butler or porter, or olsavsky...these guys cant even show up on time for games.

Tom Brady says hi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:33 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:
You don't think Cowher would have more SB if Ben was his QB

Look how Cowher managed to fuck up 2004 and 2006 and get back to me on that.

Really?

Cowher had Ben for three seasons and Tomlin has had him for 11, and they both have one ring each. And yes, most of the players who won Tomlin his sticky Lombardi were Cowher's.

I used to say there wasn't a dime's bit of difference between Cowher and Tomlin. Mea culpa. Cowher was better. Not by much but better.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:40 pm 

Obviously wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:

Really?

Cowher had Ben for three seasons and Tomlin has had him for 11, and they both have one ring each. And yes, most of the players who won Tomlin his sticky Lombardi were Cowher's.

I used to say there wasn't a dime's bit of difference between Cowher and Tomlin. Mea culpa. Cowher was better. Not by much but better.

I have to agree.

Cowher had his faults, but he was SHITLOADS better than Tomlin.

I'll bet you are.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:44 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
On another note a very underrated talking point is the quality of coaching hires Tomlin makes.

I can't think of many from the Cowher tree having success in the NFL (or the Belicheat tree, oddly).

Say what you will, but Cowher left the FRANCHISE in excellent shape, both players and coaches, for Tomlin. It's alarming when you consider this team has done less as it has become more and more Tomlin's. The core staff and players he took to 2 SB's basically all Cowher guys. Tomlin has even only hired like 7 or 8 coaches that didn't coach or play for Cowher!
- Lebeau already in place as DC
- Arians promoted from WR coach to OC

Let's look at the rest of the current staff (ignoring a few assistant assistants and strength/conditioning guys):
DL: John Mitchell - hired by Cowher
DC: Keith Butler - hired by Cowher
OC: Randy Fitchner (hired 2007)
ST: Danny Smith (hired 2013)
TE: James Daniel (hired 2007)
OL: Mike Munchak (hired 2014)
RB: James Saxon (hired 2014)
Carnell Lake, Jerry Olsavsky, Joey Porter - played for Cowher

Right, but Cowhers guys (and Bellicheks) regualrly were interviewed and hired for HC positions. Who the fuck would hire any of Tomlins guys?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:50 pm 

Hinestuff wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
Tomlin cant wash Cowhers jock strap. Gimme a break, if Cowher had an in his prime Ben for the his entire coaching tenure, hed had have more than 1 SB.

On another note a very underrated talking point is the quality of coaching hires Tomlin makes. Pretty much none of Tomlins hires go on to become head coaches, like you'll probably never hear of a Tomlin coaching tree, ever...Cowher on the hand regularly had his coaching staffs raided for promotions. Munchak is the only quality hire that Tomlin has made, and none of his young new hires will ever amount to anythng, i mean who the hell is gonna hire lake, butler or porter, or olsavsky...these guys cant even show up on time for games.

Tom Brady says hi

Perhaps, i think with an his prime Ben Roethlisberger, Cowher has some success vs Brady and Bellichek and certainly more so that Tomlin...Tomlins entire offense is pretty much at the pro bowl and here we are 1 and done, because after a decade of trying to replace and retool Cowhers defense, his entire house of cards apperently hinged on Ryan Shazier. Bust after bust at OLB except hopefully TJ Watt but we shall see what he turns into after Joey Porter "coaches him up" for a couple more seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:53 pm 

Last game was awful no doubt - but it astonishes me how some people simply refuse to acknowledge that Ben has flourished under Tomlin. Whether you like it or not, Ben's progression to HOF QB is at least in part a result of the people Mike Tomlin has hired to teach him and the people he has chosen to run the offense.

You can say that Ben is Cowher's draft pick but the Ben you know and love was allowed to mature into the fine wine he is under Tomlin. If you don't think HC plays a role in QB development, I've got a Josh Freeman for you to meet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:55 pm 

KC"]
Obviously wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:

Really?

I have to agree.

Cowher had his faults, but he was SHITLOADS better than Tomlin.[/quote]

Cowher went to SBs with QBs he drafted, NOD and Kordell, and a raw raw BR...Can you guys imagine Tomlin minus an in his prime Big Ben..i mean does anyone even want to imagine the disaster of Laundry fn Jones leading this team?? Everyone is on to Tomin now, he has just a few more ardent supporters left, you guys will come around soon enough. We aint winning shit with Tomlin in charge or Tomlins "way". Unless of course Ben and the offense bail his dumbass out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:57 pm 

FromPittWithLove wrote:
Last game was awful no doubt - but it astonishes me how some people simply refuse to acknowledge that Ben has flourished under Tomlin. Whether you like it or not, Ben's progression to HOF QB is at least in part a result of the people Mike Tomlin has hired to teach him and the people he has chosen to run the offense.

You can say that Ben is Cowher's draft pick but the Ben you know and love was allowed to mature into the fine wine he is under Tomlin. If you don't think HC plays a role in QB development, I've got a Josh Freeman for you to meet.

Ben was on a ridiculous trajectory for winning and YPA under Cowher. I hardly think Bens flourishing is as a result of Tomlin "coaching him up". But thats just me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:00 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
FromPittWithLove wrote:

Ben was on a ridiculous trajectory for winning and YPA under Cowher. I hardly think Bens flourishing is as a result of Tomlin "coaching him up". But thats just me.

If you want to assign him blame for other personnel failures, he gets the credit when Ben flourishes and the credit when James Harrison flourishes. Period.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next