It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Broncos 2015- Hey it's the offseason
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:16 pm 

Baltostiller wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
Thats exactly what the Steelers should do, but wont, because Herm Tomlin got this. :roll:

I don't think that EMR gives a shit about winning, only stability and $ so nothing will change.

The Bowlens hired Elway to win. He did whatever was necessary. The deuce won't...

We don't know what Art II cares about.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:17 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Obviously wrote:
I'm actually looking at the '97-'98 Broncos. After getting punked at home in the '96 playoffs by underdog Jacksonville, Ben's hero Elway led his team to back-to-back Super Bowl victories after which he retired. Wouldn't that be nice for Ben to do the same? Then again, Ben has Tomlin and Elway had Shanahan.

Tomlin is a much, much better coach than Shanny. I witnessed his career in Denver as a coordinator and HC. What he had going for him was:
A. Masked Steroids (EAS)
B. complete same page with and trust of Elway

A. is a major cop out
B. if Tomlin is not on the same page as Ben and has trust with Ben, then that's a major failure in leadership all around.

C. Lombardi's are the only measuring stick anyone should care about.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:18 pm 

Obviously wrote:
I'm actually looking at the '97-'98 Broncos. After getting punked at home in the '96 playoffs by underdog Jacksonville, Ben's hero Elway led his team to back-to-back Super Bowl victories after which he retired. Wouldn't that be nice for Ben to do the same? Then again, Ben has Tomlin and Elway had Shanahan.

Shanahan was just as much of a liability as Tomlin.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:20 pm 

R S wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
I don’t expect dumbass Tomlin to do much of anything to improve this team this offseason. He’s not scared of failure, after all.

It's funny that "not living in his fears" is his mantra. A little fear is a good motivator sometimes. Maybe the minority ownership will at the very least light a little fire under that cushy seat Tomlin sits in and motivate him to make the proper adjustments.

Exactly. Brady runs a sneak on 2nd and 2 to pick up a much needed first down in the AFCCG.

Tomlin is OK and signs off on Ben not sneaking the ball on 4th and a yard because 10 years ago in a game against the Redskins Ben banged his shoulder sneaking a ball for a TD. 10. Years. Ago.

Good call, Mike!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:20 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Obviously wrote:

Tomlin is a much, much better coach than Shanny. I witnessed his career in Denver as a coordinator and HC. What he had going for him was:
A. Masked Steroids (EAS)

We also all witnessed Shanahan hoisting back to back Lombardis. Mike Tomlin and his defense were given 42 pts at home ..Tomlin and his defense, were destroyed, manhandled and humiliated at home by Blake Bortles and the jaguars for arguably the most embarassing playoff loss that i can remember. Thats a MASSIVE fail, if that doesnt get you fired, nothing ever will.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:25 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
R S wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
I don’t expect dumbass Tomlin to do much of anything to improve this team this offseason. He’s not scared of failure, after all.

It's funny that "not living in his fears" is his mantra. A little fear is a good motivator sometimes. Maybe the minority ownership will at the very least light a little fire under that cushy seat Tomlin sits in and motivate him to make the proper adjustments.

Exactly. Brady runs a sneak on 2nd and 2 to pick up a much needed first down in the AFCCG.

Tomlin is OK and signs off on Ben not sneaking the ball on 4th and a yard because 10 years ago in a game against the Redskins Ben banged his shoulder sneaking a ball for a TD. 10. Years. Ago.

Good call, Mike!

Un-fn-Real

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:37 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:

Isn't this up to Art2, Colbert and Kahn as much as Tomlin? I'm sure Tomlin would live to have pro bowl FAs at all positions.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:40 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Isn't this up to Art2, Colbert and Kahn as much as Tomlin? I'm sure Tomlin would live to have pro bowl FAs at all positions.

Maybe the dumbfuck can draft us another long snapper and qb rather than noticing he had zero depth at ILB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:41 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Maybe the dumbfuck can draft us another long snapper and qb rather than noticing he had zero depth at ILB

Cool, but Tomlin is not the sole FA arbiter.

And Colbert might have something to do with whom and what position we draft and do not.

I have some serious Tomlin hate momentum worked up myself, but let's not casually jog away from the land of reason.

Last edited by Still Lit on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:42 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

If Mike Mitchell is on this team next season, well, I’m not sure what I will do. That will tell me all I need to know about how serious tomlin is in improving this defense. Mitchell is Tomlin’s guy, so I presume he will advocate for him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:45 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

If Mike Mitchell is on this team next season, well, I’m not sure what I will do. That will tell me all I need to know about how serious tomlin is in improving this defense. Mitchell is Tomlin’s guy, so I presume he will advocate for him.

Too many assumptions built in.

Do they go after a safety FA? That's not all Tomlin's call.
If they do not, do they draft one? Again not all Tomlin's call.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:48 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Obviously wrote:

A. Masked Steroids (EAS)

This is fucking hilarious- sincerely.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:55 pm 

="Still Lit"]
GreekSteel wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Cool, but Tomlin is not the sole FA arbiter.

And Colbert might have something to do with whom and what position we draft and do not.

I have some serious Tomlin hate momentum worked up myself, but let's not casually jog away from the land of reason.[/quote]

Tomlin and Colbert ...the buck stops with both of em

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:55 pm 

"Still Lit"]
Orangesteel wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

If they do not, do they draft one? Again not all Tomlin's call.[/quote]

but that decision will be MOSTLY Tomlins call

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:57 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

If they do not, do they draft one? Again not all Tomlin's call.

Just my guess...
But I would think that the decisions on what positions need upgraded and which players need to be replaced, would fall on MT and the coaching staff.
Who those players brought in to improve those positions would mainly be on Colbert and the scouts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:01 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Thats exactly what the Steelers should do, but wont, because Herm Tomlin got this. :roll:

This is more a front office question: How can we restructure and move guys to make room for even considering FAs?

I think you seriously consider moving Bell if you can figure out a way to make the deal AND get a top flight S or LB + a top 100 pick RB.

I truly think they fucked the pooch choosing Conner last year. They normally would have picked a guy that could step in and be almost as good, so that they'd be able to do the right thing with Bell.

The contracts are one area that I don't think Tomlin has that much say, and the contracts are where this offseason will be won or lost.

Mitchell ($5M), McDonald ($4.3M), Wilcox ($3.125) those guys are probably going to move ($12.5M). Sensabaugh likely gone ($1.4M). Hey-Bey also good candidate for "thank you for your service" ($1.2). Gay probably is done ($1.75).

Of course, the elephant in the room: if Shazier retires, it's $8.7M cap relief. He was due for an extension/restructure.

That's $24.55M cap flexibility, not counting replacements/restructures nor Bell. Currently, the Steelers are $3M under the cap. #goOmar #goKC

I think you sign a safety and draft one-- including one starter. You unfortunately have to sign or draft a RB that can start next year. You have to draft or sign a TE (despite FC's pained denials). You have to sign and draft an ILB, and one of them has to be ready to start.

If it's me, I try to sign McDonald to a 3 year deal and spread some of that cap hit out... but drafting a move TE would be a possibility, much as I hate it considering needs on D.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:07 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Don't forget that Tomlin's 4th ever draft pick was an oft injured punter...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:08 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

This is more a front office question: How can we restructure and move guys to make room for even considering FAs?

I think you seriously consider moving Bell if you can figure out a way to make the deal AND get a top flight S or LB + a top 100 pick RB.

I truly think they fucked the pooch choosing Conner last year. They normally would have picked a guy that could step in and be almost as good, so that they'd be able to do the right thing with Bell.

The contracts are one area that I don't think Tomlin has that much say, and the contracts are where this offseason will be won or lost.

Mitchell ($5M), McDonald ($4.3M), Wilcox ($3.125) those guys are probably going to move ($12.5M). Sensabaugh likely gone ($1.4M). Hey-Bey also good candidate for "thank you for your service" ($1.2). Gay probably is done ($1.75).

Of course, the elephant in the room: if Shazier retires, it's $8.7M cap relief. He was due for an extension/restructure.

That's $24.55M cap flexibility, not counting replacements/restructures nor Bell. Currently, the Steelers are $3M under the cap. #goOmar #goKC

I think you sign a safety and draft one-- including one starter. You unfortunately have to sign or draft a RB that can start next year. You have to draft or sign a TE (despite FC's pained denials). You have to sign and draft an ILB, and one of them has to be ready to start.

If it's me, I try to sign McDonald to a 3 year deal and spread some of that cap hit out... but drafting a move TE would be a possibility, much as I hate it considering needs on D.

And a developmental QB and a long snapper, wow what a disaster that was. Also id be willing to bet Mitchell is on the team next season. Draft a safety or ILB (say Harrsion or Esch) and a RB in the 1st and 2nd rounds (Penny). Agree with the rest, take the bell and shazier savings and sign that vet safety or ILB or go big and get that pass rusher, someone like Demarcus Lawrence.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:09 pm 

redmanrumbles wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Obviously wrote:

A. Masked Steroids (EAS)

This is fucking hilarious- sincerely.

I lived there. I followed the team. I watched every game. EAS (the bad guys in the Barry Bonds saga) were juicing their entire operation.
Also, Shanahan had a hell of a hard time making good decisions without Elway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:07 pm 

Is EAS what Romanowski was on?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:17 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
Is EAS what Romanowski was on?

Yes... at least the assertions were that EAS were covering up sophisticated doping with "supplements".

Terrell Davis
Shannon Sharpe
Romanowski

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:33 pm 

[
I lived there. I followed the team. I watched every game. EAS (the bad guys in the Barry Bonds saga) were juicing their entire operation.
Also, Shanahan had a hell of a hard time making good decisions without Elway.[/quote]

You may have noticed that Tomlin has a hard time making good decisions WITH Ben. Perhaps you missed going for 2 from the 12 yard line in 2007(just play to win baby). Or the dumbfuck intent on scoring a touchdown and running clock down to 1 second 10 days a ago, or kicking a FG vs Oakland in 2009- the list goes on and on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:51 pm 

redmanrumbles wrote:
[
Also, Shanahan had a hell of a hard time making good decisions without Elway.

You may have noticed that Tomlin has a hard time making good decisions WITH Ben. Perhaps you missed going for 2 from the 12 yard line in 2007(just play to win baby). Or the dumbfuck intent on scoring a touchdown and running clock down to 1 second 10 days a ago, or kicking a FG vs Oakland in 2009- the list goes on and on.[/quote]
Shanahan 170-138 regular season, 8-6 playoffs... failed to win a playoff game in two of 4 seasons w Elway, including an upset at home vs huge underdog Jacksonville with a 13-3 Broncos team
M Tomlin ..116–60 regular season, 8-7 playoffs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:39 am 

R S wrote:
The broncos brought in TJ Ward S, Aqib Talib CB, Demarcus Ware OLB and Brandon Marshall LB within a 2 year time frame and built one of the best defenses in recent history.

The Steelers already have a HOF QB in the twilight of his career like Peyton. With a new OC they are set on that side of the ball.

It's time to make major moves on the defense to turn the unit around.

How could we possibly afford 3 high quality FA signings you ask? I don't fucking know, but he Broncos did it on top of signing Peyton fucking Manning, so figure it out! Trades are on the table also.

Three high quality signings could do it, much like John Elway did it. It's time to go all in. If that means moving on from LeV Bell, then do it. If they can draft a Guice or Michel or even Wadley in the 3rd round, that will be enough for this offense. IF they aggressively address the defense. This team is THREE impact players on defense from being an elite unit.

They need to use Elway's recipe of 2014-15.

The big Wild Card is.........Elway replaced Fox with Kubiak after a Divisional Round upset loss in 2014. A coaching change at the top is obviously not happening. So all of the above could be moot.

Good post but I agree w u - not happening. We have the most stubborn, passive and conservative owner in the NFL not named Brown.

Also- that team had one of the greatest defensive coaches in history in Wade Phillips, we have Butler.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:47 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

You make some great points here B2B. I think this situation that you outline is our only hope. We all know Tomlin is here for the long term. Looking like Bell gets signed which keeps that offense together. If they free up the above money, will they get agressive in free agency? I’d have to see it to believe .