It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: The dumb argument for not firing Mike Tomlin
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:41 am 

I keep seeing this argument laid out for not firign Mike Tomlin. The more I see it, the more I realize how fucking stupid it is.

Quote:
One of the other most important factors in keeping Tomlin is Ben Roethlisberger. It’s not the wisest choice to start all over when Roethlisberger is nearing retirement.

Roethlisberger is a 15-year veteran. He would be BETTER able to handle change than a younger QB because of his experience, and contrary to popular belief, there's really only a few number of ways to run an offense. "Starting over" would result in an offense likely not radically different from what they run today. It's not like there'd be some radical new alteration in timing, route trees, etc.

And keeping things "more of the same because you shouldn't start over if he's so close to retirement" is the equivalent of doing the same things over and over and expecting different results.

Denver changed coaches in 1995, at the tail end of John Elway's career. They changed because they realized the current staff's philosophy wasn't going to get the team over the hump.

Two seasons later, the Broncos won their first of back-to-back championships to end Elway's career.

I think the reason people make this argument is because they believe all the Steelers need are a few tweaks and they'll be right there ready to take the next step.

But they DON'T just need "a few tweaks"...they need a whole new philosophy.

Tomlin's philosophy sucks.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

Last edited by Jeemie on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The dumb argument for not firing Mike Tomlin
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:44 am 

Broncos dumped John Fox after a Divisional round upset loss to the Colts. Won the super bowl the next year with Kubiak. WAYYY too risky of a move for the Steelers ownership.

When Ben is gone and retired and the steelers ar winning 6-9 games/year regularly, old EMR will be wishing he took a chance back in '17-18

Last edited by R S on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:45 am 

At this point, every argument for not firing Tomlin is dumb.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:49 am 

Jeemie wrote:
I keep seeing this argument laid out for not firign Mike Tomlin. The more I see it, the more I realize how fucking stupid it is.

Quote:
One of the other most important factors in keeping Tomlin is Ben Roethlisberger. It’s not the wisest choice to start all over when Roethlisberger is nearing retirement.

Roethlisberger is a 15-year veteran. He would be BETTER able to handle change than a younger QB because of his experience, and contrary to popular belief

And keeping things "more of the same because you shouldn't start over if he's so close to retirement" is the equivalent of doing the same things over and over and expecting different results.

Denver changed coaches in 1995, at the tail end of John Elway's career. They changed because they realized the current staff's philosophy wasn't going to get the team over the hump.

Two seasons later, the Broncos won their first of back-to-back championships to end Elway's career.

I think the reason people make this argument is because they believe all the Steelers need are a few tweaks and they'll be right there ready to take the next step.

I agree with everything you wrote.

I agree it is an asinine argument.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:50 am 

Jeemie wrote:

Quote:

Roethlisberger is a 15-year veteran. He would be BETTER able to handle change than a younger QB because of his experience, and contrary to popular belief

Tomlin's philosophy sucks

Agreed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:17 pm 

Didn't the Bucs dump Dungy then they IMMEDIATELY won it all with Gruden?

I'll bet you are.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:22 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

Quote:

Roethlisberger is a 15-year veteran. He would be BETTER able to handle change than a younger QB because of his experience, and contrary to popular belief, there's really only a few number of ways to run an offense. "Starting over" would result in an offense likely not radically different from what they run today. It's not like there'd be some radical new alteration in timing, route trees, etc.

This argument reeks of phoniness and is really retarded. A proper discipline coach who has all angles covered would be most beneficial for Ben to get another Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:29 pm 

KC wrote:
Didn't the Bucs dump Dungy then they IMMEDIATELY won it all with Gruden?

Yes but I was deliberately choosing an example of a team with a veteran in the twilight of his career.

And I suspect Gruden won because Callahan foolishly installed a game plan with all Gruden's terminology in it. In fact, that Super Bowl is a favorite of Beth's go to conspiracy guy, Brian Tuohy because Callahan changed the game plan midweek to feature more Gannon passing, and they had to use all the old Gruden language because they had so little time to practice.

The conspiracy folks think Callahan was ordered to throw the game.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:46 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:09 pm 

Sid Crosby and Geno Malkin have been through 5 coaches and have won 3 Cups

I think Ben can adapt just fine

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next