It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coming around to the idea of the tag and trade for Bell
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:05 am 

The other day I posted that I really didn't think we could really get anything in a deal for Bell, so I was against the notion of it entirely. And then, well, I started questioning myself. Maybe I was talking out of my ass? Wouldn't be the first time. So I started looking into it a little further.

Probably the biggest trade for a player who was tagged was Jared Allen. The Chiefs put the franchise tag on him, then before the draft they traded him to the Vikings for a first round pick and two third round picks. The Vikings then signed Allen to a 6 year deal that made him the highest paid defensive player in NFL history. Allen was 26, Bell will be 26 this February. Of course, a prime pass rusher has more value than a RB, but not a crazy comparison. The Patriots put the franchise tag on Matt Cassel after the '08 season, then a few weeks later traded him to the Chiefs along with Mike Vrabel for the 34th overall pick. Cassel then signed a long term deal the following summer. Corey Williams was tagged by the Packers in '08 as well, was then traded shortly thereafter to the Browns for a second round pick. Browns gonna Brown.

So where would Bell's value fall? I can see it somewhere in between. If a team had the cap space, and if Bell and that team were motivated to sign him to a long term deal, could we see a first round pick for him? Or maybe a second and a third? Possibly. Maybe there's a team out there with a new head coach who is looking to make an immediate impact? A team looking to make a big time splash this offseason and see an instant turnaround...

I don't think Peter King has any pulse on the league at all anymore, but maybe he's not nuts for reporting that the Raiders are expected to have big interest in Bell. They only have around $12 mil in cap space right now, but can easily free up around $30 million with several guys who should be cut with no dead money (including Marshawn Lynch, which would save $6 mil right there) and re-signing or restructuring some guys (like extending Mack for one). Does Gruden want to wait a couple of years for draft picks to develop, or does he want immediate bang for his buck?

Granted, I don't see them giving up such a high pick for Bell, since they're sitting at 9 or 10 overall with a coin flip pending, but maybe a deal that involves swapping firsts could be arranged, along with other assets? Maybe we take their high second rounder and another pick on top of it?

There are a lot of assumptions here, starting first with Bell agreeing to sign the tag to begin with, but if you don't think you're going to be able to sign him long-term and at best this is his last year in Pittsburgh, and if you're planning on Ben playing at least 3 more years, wouldn't this be the best move? Load up on picks/assets, draft another RB, and try to get after fixing the D? Or maybe start collecting future assets to have the ability to then make a move and draft your next QB in the next year or two? That seems like a more sound direction to go.

Post subject: Re: Coming around to the idea of the tag and trade for Bell
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:28 am 

You can't trade a guy who hasn't signed his franchise tender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:44 am 

What about Bell for Mack straight up, and we sign Bowman as vet ILB?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:17 am 

Orangesteel wrote:

Beat me too it Orange... Bell for Mack straight up! :mrgreen: Crazy...right? :lol:

I saw a video on the NFLn app yesterday...Rapoport reporting that the Steelers won’t even start negotiating with Bell until he signs the tag. If true, this might get ugly...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:46 am 

How good is Khalil Mack in pass coverage?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:05 am 

I'm coming around to the reality...though I don't like it...that we may have seen the last of Le'veon Bell as a Pittsburgh Steeler.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:29 am 

more than likely this ends up with Bell on another team...if the sTeelers are proactive about getting some assets back could be a decent sign and trade for us...potential landing spots off the top of my head and doing minimal research could be raiders,indy,browns,jets,mia,det,tb,hou,wash,sf...any others?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:17 am 

Non-exclusive franchise tag could net the Steelers 2 first round draft picks. Or possibly a high draft pick and coveted player.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:38 am 

Can't wait for the James Conner era to begin!

I'll bet you are.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:16 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Beat me too it Orange... Bell for Mack straight up! :mrgreen: Crazy...right? :lol:

I saw a video on the NFLn app yesterday...Rapoport reporting that the Steelers won’t even start negotiating with Bell until he signs the tag. If true, this might get ugly...

Good, they should force him to retire. Don't be nice at all, don't care about him as a person. I hate people, so it would be easy for me. If you have the power to not allow him to play anywhere for a season do it, let him decide if he's willing to lose a season in his prime, and if he is, let him.