It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Le'Veon Bell saying the Steelers have made significant..
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:45 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
What play does the WR screen count as

Punt

You just made me spit out my cough drop. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:49 am 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
With a few minutes of searching, which i'm unwilling to do, someone could find the Steelers % of runs/passes on first down and how that compares to the league. Over/under is that the Steelers are top 10 in pass percentage on first down.

They are not top 10 in passes beyond the LOS on 1st down. That's the number we're feeling.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:29 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:
With a few minutes of searching, which i'm unwilling to do, someone could find the Steelers % of runs/passes on first down and how that compares to the league. Over/under is that the Steelers are top 10 in pass percentage on first down.

They are not top 10 in passes beyond the LOS on 1st down. That's the number we're feeling.

This may be true, but to be fair, we should look at what they did from the time Rooney ordered Tomlin to stop forcing the wr screen into Haley's game. Seems this was about midway through the year.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:00 pm 

I honestly have a feeling and believe the steelers signing bell to huge long contract is a mistake we will all regret.. at most id franchise him again and bite the salary bullet..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:59 pm 

bam morris wrote:
I honestly have a feeling and believe the steelers signing bell to huge long contract is a mistake we will all regret.. at most id franchise him again and bite the salary bullet..

We get maybe 3 more years with Ben, and then this team will crumble around Tomlin. Bell having a huge cap number won't matter.

AB is a free agent after 2021, which will be shortly after Ben hangs them up. He'll be 32 years old, and my guess is getting a nice contract somewhere with a good QB to chase Jerry Rice.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:22 pm 

Lynch wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:

This may be true, but to be fair, we should look at what they did from the time Rooney ordered Tomlin to stop forcing the wr screen into Haley's game. Seems this was about midway through the year.

You mean around the time Haley was being phased out of the offense when Fich came down from the booth to the sideline so Ben could talk to him face to face rather than talk to Haley?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:48 pm 

You mean around the time Haley was being phased out of the offense when Fich came down from the booth to the sideline so Ben could talk to him face to face rather than talk to Haley?[/quote]

That was a little later in the year actually... though obviously Haley was never phased out. Fich was brought down per Rooneys orders to keep Tomlin/confusion out of the offense.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:19 pm 

Lynch wrote:
Fich was brought down per Rooneys orders to keep Tomlin/confusion out of the offense.

You're making this up, right? Because I doubt Tomlin would meddle nearly to that degree in the offense, especially when he was apparently elbow deep in the defense.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:29 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Lynch wrote:
Fich was brought down per Rooneys orders to keep Tomlin/confusion out of the offense.

You're making this up, right? Because I doubt Tomlin would meddle nearly to that degree in the offense, especially when he was apparently elbow deep in the defense.

Of course he is. He is so full of it. The QB comes off the field to talk to the QB coach, not the OC, but the OC, the same one who was let go weeks later, wasn't being phased out???? Riiiiiiiiiight.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:34 pm 

Haley apologists just don't get it. Fitchner coming down to the sidelines from the booth was not just for Ben. I saw many games where Randy was huddling with the WRs as a group, was talking with the TEs, was talking with Rosie Nix as the game was being played. Before they got back out on the field, Fitchner was coaching them up, talking to them, telling them things to look out for, things to do, tendencies, etc.

That was an odd sight for me, because, yes, that is what an offensive coordinator is supposed to do. But Randy Fitchner was NOT the OC at that time, so why did he have to do it?

The reason is because Todd Haley was not getting the job done, was having trouble communicating not with just Ben, but with everybody on offense, all of the skill position players. So, Randy comes down from the booth, is along the sidelines and the offense starts to play better because of it. Funny, how even Rosie Nix gets two TDs late in the year. I know Randy loves to involve fullbacks into his offense as more than just blockers. I don't think that any of this is just a coincidence.

The writing was on the wall, Haley was done, the Steelers wanted to move on from him but did not want to make a change at midseason. The compromise that they made was to bring Randy down from the booth and give him more input into the offense. Unfortunately, Haley was still the OC and still calling plays.

This whole thing happened once before when we had Ron Earhardt and Chan Gailey. Chan the year before he officially got the OC job, did the same thing Fitchner did this season. He had more input into the offense, was offering ideas and ways of improving players, one idea Chan had was to rotate the 4 WRs so that they would improve. Some games they would have Thigpen and Johnson play the 1st and 3rd quarters and then Ernie Mills and Andre Hastings play the 2 and 4th quarters together.

And for those thinking that the offense won't change much, I disagree. This offense has been ignoring the fullback and hasn't really been able to implement the vertical deep threat in the middle, that speedy, athletic TE. If Randy can get those two chess pieces deeply involved in the offense then this offense will change for the better.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:40 pm 

I agree completely Scunge and believe one of the things that has been sorely lacking from this teams staff and player-leaders is that interaction, teaching and in-game communication

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:26 pm 

Quote:
@L_Bell26 I speak on behalf of the New York Jets, well give you $60 million in cash if you come play for us

Quote:
Le'Veon Bell‏Verified account
@L_Bell26

that ain’t enough to come run with the Jets...

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:38 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Quote:
@L_Bell26 I speak on behalf of the New York Jets, well give you $60 million in cash if you come play for us

Quote:
@L_Bell26

Obviously my Jets buddies all just got that sent to them.

That’s so awesome Greek!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:12 pm 

Hinestuff wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
@L_Bell26

Obviously my Jets buddies all just got that sent to them.

That’s so awesome Greek!

:D Dilly Dilly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:54 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
:D Dilly Dilly

OT, but if Peyton or Brady has done that audible it would be a national meme

However, in memory of Haley, my favorite audible will be "turtle turtle" Bell up the middle.