It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple years
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:52 pm
Posts: 636
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ad-of-crap

Video in middle of article.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:07 am
Posts: 8350
Wow, that is so spot on, Francessa is giving the point by point where Tomlin has gone soft on his game day coaching and his adjustments in game.

More FUCK TOMLIN FODDER to FIRE HIM :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:


Big takeaway..... MIKE TOMLIN has wasted his talent. Hideous BIG GAME COACH!!

WAKE UP ROONEY, WAKE THE FUCK UP!!!

Here is the direct link to Good Morning Football

https://twitter.com/gmfb/status/953989262487072768

_________________
ImageImage
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11333
It's been a lot longer than a couple years....the shine was off this turd with the infamous "ease in" to the SB with the more experienced team.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am
Posts: 9099
Agreed its been more than a couple of years..i said it in the past as well, Tomlin would make horrible gut decisions, get away with them at times and it would embolden him to double down on stupid...funny in hindsight how the tomlin defenders could defend such sheer stupidity.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:07 am
Posts: 8350
How can we call the Steelers offices and demand Tomlin be shown the door?

Contact Information
Pittsburgh Steelers

Administrative offices
Pittsburgh Steelers
3400 South Water Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203-2349
Phone: (412) 432-7800
Fax: (412) 432-7878
(resumes can be sent to Human Resources at above address and will not be accepted via email - we do not have an online listing of openings - for positions at Heinz Field please visit http://www.steelers.com/tickets-and-sta ... yment.html)

Marketing offices
Pittsburgh Steelers
100 Art Rooney Avenue
Pittsburgh PA 15212-5721
Phone: (412) 697-718

I think some of you guru's need to send in a resume, it's a new world and we need some smart thinkers

Resumes can be sent to:
Human Resources
Pittsburgh Steelers
3400 South Water Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203

_________________
ImageImage
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am
Posts: 9099
Paul Zeise nails it and echos my sentiment. My words were "who the fuck was Mike Tomlin before the Steelers hired him"



Quote:
Joe Moore, Southside: Why do you think some people believe Mike Tomlin is the only person capable of coaching the Steelers??

Zeise: There are people who truly believe Tomlin has done such a great job that whoever they’d replace him with will be worse. That is laughable, if not completely idiotic. Tomlin supporters demand to know who the Steelers could get that is better, and I always say, “How about the next Mike Tomlin or Bill Cowher?” In other words, when those two coaches were hired, nobody really knew who they were. And both won a Super Bowl. The Rams hired an excellent young coach who was an unknown. There are a lot of great coaches out there. You could end up worse off, but you could also be Tampa, Baltimore or Denver who all replaced highly successful coaches with coaches who took the team to Super Bowl titles. There is no law that reads “The next coach will be worse” than the successful coach you fire.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 4169
It’s funny but it’s also how most people do things these days. Instant info, social media, etc have in a sense reduced people’s ability to think for themselves.

Once someone has aligned themselves with something they will defend it no matter how much evidence to the contrary is staring them in the face.

Can’t possibly admit maybe they were wrong. Nope.

I’m sure there was a titanic engineer that swore the ship wasn't sinking even though he was neck deep in water.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11333
955876 wrote:
It’s funny but it’s also how most people do things these days. Instant info, social media, etc have in a sense reduced people’s ability to think for themselves.


Great thing about the internet is it takes mere seconds to find like-minded idiots. And it's instantaneous after friending them on Facebook.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23270
GreekSteel wrote:
Paul Zeise nails it and echos my sentiment. My words were "who the fuck was Mike Tomlin before the Steelers hired him"



Quote:
Joe Moore, Southside: Why do you think some people believe Mike Tomlin is the only person capable of coaching the Steelers??

Zeise: There are people who truly believe Tomlin has done such a great job that whoever they’d replace him with will be worse. That is laughable, if not completely idiotic. Tomlin supporters demand to know who the Steelers could get that is better, and I always say, “How about the next Mike Tomlin or Bill Cowher?” In other words, when those two coaches were hired, nobody really knew who they were. And both won a Super Bowl. The Rams hired an excellent young coach who was an unknown. There are a lot of great coaches out there. You could end up worse off, but you could also be Tampa, Baltimore or Denver who all replaced highly successful coaches with coaches who took the team to Super Bowl titles. There is no law that reads “The next coach will be worse” than the successful coach you fire.


With this offense, the Steelers would have people tripping over themselves to be the next head coach.

Find some young defensive guy again (since the defense is what needs to be rebuilt) and give him the job.

You’d have more qualified candidates than you knew what to do with.

Only problem?

I don’t trust Art II to get the right guy, nor do I know if I trust KC.

After all, Colbert signed off on getting a backup RB, a raw QB, and a long-snapper when the team had glaring defensive holes...and the players were there to be drafted.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:40 am
Posts: 1660
Cue the attacks on Francesa...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:06 am
Posts: 3713
I'd hire the community college coach from Last Chance U over Tomlin at this point. Actually, I'd hire Ollie and some of the other 1.0 GPA players on his squad who seem to have a better understanding of the game.

So glad I basically stopped watching this shit show on Sundays until the playoffs then I regretted wasting that time.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 6898
the-other-burg wrote:
Cue the attacks on Francesa...

I think those days are over...in this case, at least.

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Posts: 1040
955876 wrote:
It’s funny but it’s also how most people do things these days. Instant info, social media, etc have in a sense reduced people’s ability to think for themselves.

Once someone has aligned themselves with something they will defend it no matter how much evidence to the contrary is staring them in the face.

Can’t possibly admit maybe they were wrong. Nope.

I’m sure there was a titanic engineer that swore the ship wasn't sinking even though he was neck deep in water.


This may be true to an extent but I disagree regarding Tomlin.

It became in fashion a few years ago to bash Tomlin before it was truly warranted. If you are truly honest, most of Tomlin's career has been an above-average, quality coaching performance. There's the game management bitching, underachievement bitching, in-game adjustments, etc. It's the same shit every fanbase complains about yet are honestly unrealistic about. Overall, he's been a good coach. That shouldn't be debated.

That being said, his limitations and deficiencies have been on full display the past two post-seasons. And beginning with last year's AFCCG, the expectation for him to improve his shit or for Rooney to put pressure on him or fire him (this year), I think is fully warranted.

But, to claim he's been a bad coach for many seasons just isn't being truthful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:07 am
Posts: 8350
Starkey and Mueller are killing Tomlin right now, they feel compelled to re-address earlier support.

_________________
ImageImage
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 4169
randomsteelerfan wrote:
955876 wrote:
It’s funny but it’s also how most people do things these days. Instant info, social media, etc have in a sense reduced people’s ability to think for themselves.

Once someone has aligned themselves with something they will defend it no matter how much evidence to the contrary is staring them in the face.

Can’t possibly admit maybe they were wrong. Nope.

I’m sure there was a titanic engineer that swore the ship wasn't sinking even though he was neck deep in water.


This may be true to an extent but I disagree regarding Tomlin.

It became in fashion a few years ago to bash Tomlin before it was truly warranted. If you are truly honest, most of Tomlin's career has been an above-average, quality coaching performance. There's the game management bitching, underachievement bitching, in-game adjustments, etc. It's the same shit every fanbase complains about yet are honestly unrealistic about. Overall, he's been a good coach. That shouldn't be debated.

That being said, his limitations and deficiencies have been on full display the past two post-seasons. And beginning with last year's AFCCG, the expectation for him to improve his shit or for Rooney to put pressure on him or fire him (this year), I think is fully warranted.

But, to claim he's been a bad coach for many seasons just isn't being truthful.


Preaching to the choir here. I was a big fan of Tomlin’s at first.

Slowly but surely I came to the realization that the things he would say were not in sync with the things he would do or “put on tape”...

Another poster (I think Jeemie) made a point that Tomlin has made some gut decisions that worked out but at the same time kinda defies logic. Since then, he’s been more bold with those “gut decisions”.

Might be some truth there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11333
randomsteelerfan wrote:
But, to claim he's been a bad coach for many seasons just isn't being truthful.


He's clearly not been a bad coach.

I stop well short of calling him a good coach. If you don't believe he can win a championship - and myself and many others don't - then there should be no debating it's time for a change.

SB's with Cowher's coaches, Cowher's players....nothing he's accomplished as this team has become more his own, with a HOF QB in his prime, is anything to hang your hat on as being above average.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Posts: 1040
Kodiak wrote:
randomsteelerfan wrote:
But, to claim he's been a bad coach for many seasons just isn't being truthful.


He's clearly not been a bad coach.

I stop well short of calling him a good coach. If you don't believe he can win a championship - and myself and many others don't - then there should be no debating it's time for a change.

SB's with Cowher's coaches, Cowher's players....nothing he's accomplished as this team has become more his own, with a HOF QB in his prime, is anything to hang your hat on as being above average.


I'm not debating it's time for a change.

I'm debating the premise that the expectations of a fanbase just because he's got a HOF QB aren't wholly realistic and he has been an above-average coach.

Look at his peers. I'd most closely compare the Saints and Packers. But, hell, throw in Carroll, too. Who's blowing up and killing it with SBs other than Belichick and Brady? They are definitely the outlier and not the norm.

That's not settling, that's understanding that it's fucking hard to win in the NFL. And he's won.

As for the Cowher shit, come on. The guy took an 8-8 underachieving team to a SB win in his 2nd year and returned two years later. He did what he was supposed to do. He won. Yet, he gets penalized for it? The only thing that should be questioned after those runs were if he could 1) rebuild a roster and 2) coach them back to the SB.

My biggest question regarding Tomlin was always whether he could build a roster. I honestly never thought that he would be the limiting factor because he was the catalyst to those first two runs. So, the last two years have been a bit of a surprise based on his early performance. It seems like his butt has puckered up the last few years and he's become more conservative.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 7617
randomsteelerfan wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
randomsteelerfan wrote:
But, to claim he's been a bad coach for many seasons just isn't being truthful.


He's clearly not been a bad coach.

I stop well short of calling him a good coach. If you don't believe he can win a championship - and myself and many others don't - then there should be no debating it's time for a change.

SB's with Cowher's coaches, Cowher's players....nothing he's accomplished as this team has become more his own, with a HOF QB in his prime, is anything to hang your hat on as being above average.


I'm not debating it's time for a change.

I'm debating the premise that the expectations of a fanbase just because he's got a HOF QB aren't wholly realistic and he has been an above-average coach.

Look at his peers. I'd most closely compare the Saints and Packers. But, hell, throw in Carroll, too. Who's blowing up and killing it with SBs other than Belichick and Brady? They are definitely the outlier and not the norm.

That's not settling, that's understanding that it's fucking hard to win in the NFL. And he's won.

As for the Cowher shit, come on. The guy took an 8-8 underachieving team to a SB win in his 2nd year and returned two years later. He did what he was supposed to do. He won. Yet, he gets penalized for it? The only thing that should be questioned after those runs were if he could 1) rebuild a roster and 2) coach them back to the SB.

My biggest question regarding Tomlin was always whether he could build a roster. I honestly never thought that he would be the limiting factor because he was the catalyst to those first two runs. So, the last two years have been a bit of a surprise based on his early performance. It seems like his butt has puckered up the last few years and he's become more conservative.

I agree that Tomlin's test now is whether he can rebuild a championship roster. His inability to do so would be the reason I would want to see Tomlin gone.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11333
randomsteelerfan wrote:
I'm debating the premise that the expectations of a fanbase just because he's got a HOF QB aren't wholly realistic and he has been an above-average coach.

Look at his peers.


One AFCC in 7 years, and the team was badly embarassed. Take NE out of the picture, and you still have better than a 50/50 expectation of going to at least one AFC championship in seven years.

THAT is absolutely in no way shape or form "above average". In fact, with a HOF QB in his prime it actually needs a little fluffing to argue it's even just very very average.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11333
Poltargyst wrote:
I agree that Tomlin's test now is whether he can rebuild a championship roster.


I'm fully on board with giving him the ENTIRE back half of Ben's career to do that. 5-6+ years....just not enough time. We need to be patient.

/sarcafont

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Posts: 1040
Kodiak wrote:
randomsteelerfan wrote:
I'm debating the premise that the expectations of a fanbase just because he's got a HOF QB aren't wholly realistic and he has been an above-average coach.

Look at his peers.


One AFCC in 7 years, and the team was badly embarassed. Take NE out of the picture, and you still have better than a 50/50 expectation of going to at least one AFC championship in seven years.

THAT is absolutely in no way shape or form "above average". In fact, with a HOF QB in his prime it actually needs a little fluffing to argue it's even just very very average.


Where are you getting your figures? Only 16 teams in the league have even reached a Conference Championship game in their history. A rough weighted average would make 9 appearances average over 49 years for an appearance every 5.5 years, roughly. He appeared in 2008, 2010 and 2016. How is that out of whack?

Now, if I add the "Steeler Fan Factor", that time reduces to an appearance every 3 years, on average. He's still in line with the best of NFL history.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11333
randomsteelerfan wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
randomsteelerfan wrote:
I'm debating the premise that the expectations of a fanbase just because he's got a HOF QB aren't wholly realistic and he has been an above-average coach.

Look at his peers.


Where are you getting your figures?


Basic probability.

Even assuming NE goes every year, the odds of going to at least one AFCC in 7 years (if it was a random coin flip) are 38.3%.

NE doesn't go to the AFCC every year, and Tomlin has a HOF QB. 50/50 is being generous.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:40 am
Posts: 1660
The problem with being born on third base is that sometimes you don't know how to hit a triple. Tomlin was born on third base when he took over the Steelers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Posts: 1040
Kodiak wrote:
randomsteelerfan wrote:
Kodiak wrote:

Where are you getting your figures?


Basic probability.

Even assuming NE goes every year, the odds of going to at least one AFCC in 7 years (if it was a random coin flip) are 38.3%.

NE doesn't go to the AFCC every year, and Tomlin has a HOF QB. 50/50 is being generous.


That's completely arbitrary.

The Steelers have been to the most CCG's in league history, 16. Over 49 years, that's one every 3 years, on average for the best in history. That's what he's done.

Pull out NE's run and average the rest of the league and the expectation is lower. This is what I mean by ridiculous fan expectations.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7291
randomsteelerfan wrote:
955876 wrote:
It’s funny but it’s also how most people do things these days. Instant info, social media, etc have in a sense reduced people’s ability to think for themselves.

Once someone has aligned themselves with something they will defend it no matter how much evidence to the contrary is staring them in the face.

Can’t possibly admit maybe they were wrong. Nope.

I’m sure there was a titanic engineer that swore the ship wasn't sinking even though he was neck deep in water.


This may be true to an extent but I disagree regarding Tomlin.

It became in fashion a few years ago to bash Tomlin before it was truly warranted. If you are truly honest, most of Tomlin's career has been an above-average, quality coaching performance. There's the game management bitching, underachievement bitching, in-game adjustments, etc. It's the same shit every fanbase complains about yet are honestly unrealistic about. Overall, he's been a good coach. That shouldn't be debated.

That being said, his limitations and deficiencies have been on full display the past two post-seasons. And beginning with last year's AFCCG, the expectation for him to improve his shit or for Rooney to put pressure on him or fire him (this year), I think is fully warranted.

But, to claim he's been a bad coach for many seasons just isn't being truthful.


If you are truly honest, you wouldn't minimize the importance of game management. This has come up often the past few weeks with the Tomlin apologists in the media. They speak of some game management weaknesses....as though it's no big deal. Tomlin's game MIS-management is exactly how he pisses games away.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Steelergenie and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group