It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Francesa: Tomlin's been 'a bad head coach for a couple y
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:19 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
The insularity of ownership is a problem here...if you’re digging for root causes...that’s it.

FC pointed it out...the same scouts for decades...the tendency to not only have the head man, but his staff, remain unchanged for years. I mean...how long have Mitchell and Olsavsky and Butler been here? What’s with this recent trend of looking for former Steelers to hire as coaches? “He was a former Steeler” should not even be in the TOP HUNDRED criteria for selecting a coach.

There’s a staleness in the organization that just enough winning has been able to mask.

There’s some up and coming teams in the AFC...we are not guaranteed to be the successor to New England when they finally begin to fade.

The NFC is chock full of exciting up-and-coming teams as well. I could easily see Philadelphia becoming the next New England...Wentz is the real deal, and they’re building the team the right way.

A slide into the irrelevance of the 1980s seems more in the cards at this moment than a resurgence to glory.

That’s what it seems to me.

And Art II is NOTHING without his father...a lawyer, not a football mind...not even enough of a football mind, IMO, to recognize the types of football minds he needs to run his team.

This is an excellent football post.

Personally, my money is on Philly & KC becoming serious standardbearers. They have solid organizations, crazed fanbase, good stadium situations, deep rosters that are young or young enough, quality overall coaching staff, and the one thing that makes a HUGE difference: young franchise QBs who (I believe) are going to be difference makers and not just competent QBs.

HOU, SEA, DAL, and GB have a QB but have some other issues with keeping it together long enough to get home.

LAR, BUF, JAX have enough talent and or coaching to contend.

IMO, this year was the easiest path to winning that the Steelers will have for a while. 2019 onward is going to be a pretty different landscape.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:26 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
The insularity of ownership is a problem here...if you’re digging for root causes...that’s it.

FC pointed it out...the same scouts for decades...the tendency to not only have the head man, but his staff, remain unchanged for years. I mean...how long have Mitchell and Olsavsky and Butler been here? What’s with this recent trend of looking for former Steelers to hire as coaches? “He was a former Steeler” should not even be in the TOP HUNDRED criteria for selecting a coach.

There’s a staleness in the organization that just enough winning has been able to mask.

There’s some up and coming teams in the AFC...we are not guaranteed to be the successor to New England when they finally begin to fade.

The NFC is chock full of exciting up-and-coming teams as well. I could easily see Philadelphia becoming the next New England...Wentz is the real deal, and they’re building the team the right way.

A slide into the irrelevance of the 1980s seems more in the cards at this moment than a resurgence to glory.

And Art II is NOTHING without his father...a lawyer, not a football mind...not even enough of a football mind, IMO, to recognize the types of football minds he needs to run his team.

Personally, my money is on Philly & KC becoming serious standardbearers. They have solid organizations, crazed fanbase, good stadium situations, deep rosters that are young or young enough, quality overall coaching staff, and the one thing that makes a HUGE difference: young franchise QBs who (I believe) are going to be difference makers and not just competent QBs.

HOU, SEA, DAL, and GB have a QB but have some other issues with keeping it together long enough to get home.

IMO, this year was the easiest path to winning that the Steelers will have for a while. 2019 onward is going to be a pretty different landscape.

If Tomlin can at least get the defense to be average AT play off time and stay the fuck out of Ben and Fichtner's way, there is no reason the Steelers cannot get to the SB next year. But the defense is so terrible and Tomlin has cocked up the defensive plan two years straight, I don't know what to think.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:41 pm 

I know what to think

Tomlin sucks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:04 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:
I appreciate the Super Bowl or failure perspective

I do happen to also appreciate things like going 13-3, winning the division, beating rivals, not playing meaningless games etc etc

Losing first playoff game after a 13-3 season makes it all the more disappointing, and renders the season meaningless. Do you think any Patriots fans take any joy in their undefeated season? Undefeated that is...until losing the Super Bowl. They've purged that season from their memories.

Personally, I'll look back much more fondly on the '15 season...when Steelers snuck in as the Wild Card.....when a Playoff game at Paul Brown, then damn near beat the Doncos in Denver, though undermanned.

To each his own.

I take it as it comes. I enjoy every victory. 13 wins is better than 12 and so forth and so on. I enjoy the journey. I get just as disappointed as anyone when we lose, but it doesn't ruin the rest of the season for me.

13 COULD BE better than 12, depending on eventual seeding. To me, it's not that I didn't enjoy the 13 wins....but the Jax loss sorta spoils the whole thing. Making the playoffs, then not winning a playoff game always sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:21 pm 

Say it again. It was not that the Steelers lost to JAX. It was the manner in which they lost. By 45 points. Allowing Bortles and crew to put up 38 points. And some boneheaded play calling. This wasn't like David giving it his all and losing to a Goliath. MASSIVE disappointment.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:23 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
KC wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:
I appreciate the Super Bowl or failure perspective

I do happen to also appreciate things like going 13-3, winning the division, beating rivals, not playing meaningless games etc etc

You are the PERFECT Mike Tomlin fan.

I guarantee the bug-eyed fuck appreciates your loyalty.

Except i'm not a Mike Tomlin fan. There is a large middle ground between hatred and fanboy. That's where I'm at.

btw it's hard to take you seriously with all this bug-eyed shit.

Believe me, I'm not worried about who takes me seriously.

This team lost it's first playoff game. At home. Gave up 38 points to Blake Fucking Bortles and company.

How many impressive playoff wins have they had the last several years?

The faces change, especially on defense and only one dumb bug-eyed cocksucker remains a constant.

But if you equate regular season wins to what happens in the playoffs, then I see why the loss to the Jags is just another game to you.

Sheesh.....and this dude is telling me he doesn't take ME seriously. Good lord.

I'll bet you are.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:47 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

It's also no surprise that the teams that have embraced smart analytics the most -- Eagles and Jags -- are both reaping big dividends to their approach. Those teams are spending a lot of money in this area and separating themselves from the pack.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:33 am 

another log for the bonfire

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... to-go-8-8/

Pederson: Coaching Conservatively is a good way to go 8-8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:37 pm 

BethlehemSteel wrote:

Pederson coached that game w/ balls the size of watermelons. This was awesome to watch on many fronts. If Seattle and Atl played that way the last few years then we would be talking about the Cheats as one of the worst SB teams in history. Last night would've made them 3-6 in SB.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:42 pm 

Stillcajun wrote:
BethlehemSteel wrote:

Pederson coached that game w/ balls the size of watermelons. This was awesome to watch on many fronts. If Seattle and Atl played that way the last few years then we would be talking about the Cheats as one of the worst SB teams in history. Last night would've made them 3-6 in SB.

Yes, also the teetering where the Giants bested them on those freak plays.

But it's maddening about last year in particular. I had the same thoughts at start of 3rd quarter. I just kept saying foot on pedal and get one more point than the cheats!!!

a quote from the interwebs which speaks to the overall record

Quote:
citizenstrange says:
February 5, 2018 at 10:02 am
If the Patriots hadn’t of pulled Super Bowl wins against the Falcons and Seahawks out of their butt — wins gifted by the opposing coaches inexplicably and horrifically pooping the bed ….. almost on purpose it seemed — the Pats would be on a 5 game Super Bowl losing streak. The hapless Buffalo Bills of the new millennium

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next