It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Return of the Curtain
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:03 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
SteelDrama wrote:
I’ll add former ‘dawg Richard Seymour to your impressive list MJB.

Calais Campbell was my first thought. He had a tremendous season in Jacksonville playing multiple positions along that nasty front 4.

Cam Jordan another movable chess piece with the Saints.

How the Steelers can improve their defense is up for debate. Nothing wrong with a well run 3-4. Wade Phillips and James bettcher late of the Cardinals do a nice job running it.

My preference has always been to play multiple fronts. Move your chess pieces. Use Cam Heyward like the Jags use Campbell and how the Pats used Richard Seymour. Play TJ Watt all over the front 7.

Long post short, change some shit up, get creative, status quo isn’t going to get you past innovative, evolving teams like the jags and Pats of the league

Richard Sherman was a 3-4DE? I don't remember him ever doing that.

Anyway, that was a great list of transcendental players that probably could have played in any defense ever designed. They were better in either front than any of our DL. I guess my point is I don't think we have any D front players nearly that good-- I wouldn't put transcendent label on any of them.

My related, over-arching point is: switching the defense isn't suddenly going to make our players better. We lost the one transcendent player we had, twice in a matter of a few years. I don't know if you can have a great defense without at least one.

That Jags D has at least two. Seattle had at least 5. KC last year had 3. The problem lies more in player scouting, player selection, or player development, IMO.

I'd still like to know what the hell happened to Cam Heyward in the Jags game.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:12 pm 

Me too.

One of the last guys on our roster I’d expect a disappearing act from.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:40 am 

Our entire defense should be ashamed. Hopefully they reflect on it for 8 months and come back with a vengeance in 2018. Then completely fuck the pooch come playoff time while Tomlin goes to Sunglasses Hut to buy some more shades.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:47 am 

B2B - please tell me when Heyward, Tuitt, Shazier were the reasons we had a pretty good defense? Are you talking about our run early in the year when we were playing high school QB’s?

I honestly can’t remember when this defense came up big in an important game against an above average offense. Maybe last years playoff game against the Chiefs? But I think they let KC score a late Touchdown that made the game uncomfortably close and I also think Deebo saved our ass in that game too (no need to go there).

Last edited by Suwanee88 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:56 am 

Orangesteel wrote:
Our entire defense should be ashamed. Hopefully they reflect on it for 8 months and come back with a vengeance in 2018. Then completely fuck the pooch come playoff time while Tomlin goes to Sunglasses Hut to buy some more shades.

But see, the further I get away from the Jags loss, the more and more do I become willing to blame primarily (NOTE PRIMARILY DOES NOT MEAN ONLY OR SOLELY) the Joe's on defense. No matter the scheme, that was disgusting. Hard to blame Tomlin for the D line getting its ass handed to it in the trenches.

My close-to-settled opinion, which follows on an initial extreme urge to see Butler fired, is that we lost to the Jags primarily not bc Tomlin is a buffoon (I'll grant you that Tomlin is a buffoon for argument's sake) but bc the defense played like a bunch of bums for 60 minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:46 am 

Still Lit wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

But see, the further I get away from the Jags loss, the more and more do I become willing to blame primarily (NOTE PRIMARILY DOES NOT MEAN ONLY OR SOLELY) the Joe's on defense. No matter the scheme, that was disgusting. Hard to blame Tomlin for the D line getting its ass handed to it in the trenches.

My close-to-settled opinion, which follows on an initial extreme urge to see Butler fired, is that we lost to the Jags primarily not bc Tomlin is a buffoon (I'll grant you that Tomlin is a buffoon for argument's sake) but bc the defense played like a bunch of bums for 60 minutes.

You could actually argue that it was the propensity for giving up big plays that was the difference in the season and the Jags game. Safety and CB play were worse, in a way, although the difficulty in stopping the run was obvious from preseason onwards.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:10 pm 

Yup. When your defense is getting Gashed in the run game as a defense you're playing yourself up [to the LOS] too much pushing that risk higher for getting burned deep in the passing game. It was the one, two punch that left this season's defense out to dry more often than not. Regardless of whether it was high school QB's or pro level QB's. This defense couldn't stop the run even when all the perceived pro bowl players were on the field and healthy. Now is that a schematic issue or is it the players themselves? I believe it to be a combination of the two.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:40 pm 

It has to do with the Players as well as the defense staff and so far they seemed to say it was not the coaching.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:03 pm 

I can't agree with you more 58. I believe it is time for a change. Tomlin and his schict are old, slow and done. He has reached his shelf life maximum in Pittsburgh IMO. That said, as Swiss so recently and eloquently put it Tomlin has a job for life.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:14 pm 

Yes that is the one bad issue with the steelers and their coach for life Philosphy