It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starkey nails it on Dud Dupree
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:16 pm 

Quote:
This year’s NFL MDP Award — Most Delusional Person — has to go to pass-rush guru Chuck Smith, who predicted that one of his clients, Steelers linebacker Bud Dupree, would be the league’s Defensive Player of the Year.

Smith might as well have predicted the Cleveland Browns to go 19-0.

Dupree had eight games where he recorded one or fewer solo tackles. Fewer than one would be none, which happened against Jacksonville (regular season) and Cleveland. Digest that for a moment.

Dupree had no forced fumbles (one in his 38-game career). He had six sacks. He rarely beat a tackle one-on-one. He remained invisible for long stretches, notably both Jacksonville games, in which he totaled four tackles, zero quarterback hits and nary a big play.

I’m told he is pretty good in coverage, but since when do the Steelers draft outside linebackers in the first round because they’re adept at dropping into short zones? I always thought they paid such players to produce game-altering plays, preferably in the offensive backfield.

“Yes, but Dupree is always asked to cover people!” some say.

“Then make a play downfield!” I say.

And you know what? If Dupree drops three-quarters of the time, as some will tell you, then why in the world would you give him another contract? I can get a lot of guys to do that.

Bottom line: Three years in, Dupree has shown very little to justify his draft slot (22nd overall) and will soon be known as “Dud” Dupree if he doesn’t turn it around. I wouldn’t yet say he is wading into Jarvis Jones waters, but he does remind me of a late-stage Jason Worilds. If that.

And now comes a crossroads. Sort of. The Steelers must decide whether to make an initial commitment to the fifth-year option — the 2019 season — on Dupree’s rookie contract. The initial commitment must be made by May 3.

The option could be worth more than $9 million, but “committing” to it by May 3 is pretty much the equivalent of a high-school athlete verbally committing to a college. It doesn’t mean much.

Here’s why: The Steelers can renege, without financial repercussion, after the 2018 season (though they would lose draft-pick compensation if Dupree were to sign with another team).

That’s right, they can simply say “No thanks” to the fifth-year option in a year, even if they “commit” to it now. There is a long-term injury exception, in which the fifth-year salary is guaranteed, but the point is clear: Barring catastrophic injury, the Steelers have another season to evaluate Dupree.

As such, it’s an easy decision, right? Pick up the option, see if he performs next season and then make your call.

Only I’m not sure that’s the Steelers’ best move.

I’d rather see them take another outside linebacker early in the draft, decline Dupree’s option and put him on the spot. Make him prove himself. If he turns into Lawrence Taylor, they could always slap a franchise tag on him — even if it would be way more expensive than the option — and try to work out a multi-year deal.

Light a fire under this guy, put him on notice, rather than make him any sort of pledge.

Dupree defenders will tell you the Steelers have de-emphasized an outside linebacker-centric pass rush — that Dupree was asked to cover a lot — and still set a franchise record in sacks.

That sounds good, but how was their situational pass rush? Which is to say, where was it when it mattered most?

They didn’t do much in allowing 38 points to the Baltimore Ravens, not sacking Joe Flacco until the final play of the game. They couldn’t stop Tom Brady with the game on the line. They barely touched Blake Bortles.

In fact, the Steelers did not record a negative-yardage play against the Jaguars, save for Bortles falling on a fumble after a bad snap exchange.

Where in the Worilds was Bud Dupree that day?

Where in the Worilds was the Steelers’ outside push when they needed it most?

Dupree did have a sack against New England, but if you watch the play closely, it was Rob Gronkowski, of all people, who sent Dupree on his way by awkwardly chipping him at the last moment, sending him inside and thus confounding the offensive tackle. It was a fluky play.

To be fair, Dupree has battled injuries. Those included a lingering shoulder issue this season. He might very well bounce back and prove his worth next year. I hope he does.

But if I’m Chuck Smith, I’m not making any predictions.

Post subject: Re: Starkey nails it on Dud Dupree
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:21 pm 

Worilds was a much, much better player than Dupree.

Not even close rushing the passer. Worilds actually applied pressure. Dupree simply doesn't.

I'll bet you are.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:23 pm 

KC wrote:
Worilds was a much, much better player than Dupree.

Not even close rushing the passer. Worilds actually applied pressure. Dupree simply doesn't.

agreed overall sentiment in that article tho is that Dupree has mostly been a dud, he also pous cold water on that sorry coverage excuse for lack of pressure by the Dud

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:23 pm 

Bud and Jarvis had two completely different approaches to accomplishing the same result (or lack of results)

Man, this team struggles to draft the OLB and CB positions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:26 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
Bud and Jarvis had two completely different approaches to accomplishing the same result (or lack of results)

Man, this team struggles to DEVELOP the OLB and CB positions.

fixed it for you..and that lack of development is an indictment on TOMLIN and HIS COACHES

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:29 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:

I think the Steelers panicked in taking Artie Burns, when they were NO DOUBT expecting to William Jackson to be there when they chose.

I'll bet you are.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:33 pm 

KC wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:

I think the Steelers panicked in taking Artie Burns, when they were NO DOUBT expecting to William Jackson to be there when they chose.

Tomlin panic?? nooo waayy

/sarca

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:45 pm 

Thanks for the Starkey article...a very thorough analysis of the situation. If the Steelers commit to the 5th year for this guy they're crazy. I like the idea of putting some heat on him but it may not be worth a draft pick to do it. One thing is for sure and that is their pass rush from the edge is non existent now that Deebo has departed the scene. The Black and Gold had an easy schedule and won a bunch of close games last season. If the pass rush does not improve, especially with Ryan Shazier out of the picture, they will not be so lucky next year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:50 pm 

Hated the Dupree pick... Had my fingers crossed Landon Collins would be the pick.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:10 pm 

Worilds absolutely fucked this team when he retired. The fact that Colbert can't draft a pass rusher to save his life doesn't help, either. Unless I'm mistaken, in 17 years, Colbert has drafted exactly 2 serviceable starters at OLB: Haggans and Woodley. That's fucking horrible. I mean, I guess you could give him credit for bringing Debo in, but that was more Harrison's agent leveraging him onto the roster because Cowher wanted another client of his. IMO, Tomlin and Colbert should both be gone. The Superbowl equity has expired.