It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Starkey nails it on Dud Dupree
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:31 am 

86n96 wrote:
Worilds absolutely fucked this team when he retired. The fact that Colbert can't draft a pass rusher to save his life doesn't help, either. Unless I'm mistaken, in 17 years, Colbert has drafted exactly 2 serviceable starters at OLB: Haggans and Woodley. That's fucking horrible. I mean, I guess you could give him credit for bringing Debo in, but that was more Harrison's agent leveraging him onto the roster because Cowher wanted another client of his. IMO, Tomlin and Colbert should both be gone. The Superbowl equity has expired.

It's hard to blame Colbert for this. Colbert has put together the best offense in the league. He also nailed the Heyward and Shazier picks. Found guys like AB, V Will, and Jesse James in the bottom rounds. The problem is and always has been our inability to coach up players on the defensive side of the ball. Particularly at OLB and in the secondary.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:34 am 

Secondary coach Darren Perry is available and the Steelers have not gotten fair return from Lake as their secondary coach. Easy exchange...

As far as pass rusher development? Porter is a fucking joke. JMO

The fact that no defensive coaches were held accountable for allowing the jag offense led by blake fucking bortles responsible is a travesty and infuriating. Heads should have rolled.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:39 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Secondary coach Darren Perry is available and the Steelers have not gotten fair return from Lake as their secondary coach. Easy exchange...

The fact that no defensive coaches were held accountable for allowing the jag offense led by blake fucking bortles responsible is a travesty and infuriating. Heads should have rolled.

Agree 100% with the defensive coaches. Porter and Lake should have been held accountable for their continued underachievement coaching these units.
I'm not a Tomlin hater, but the fact that no one was let go screams of maintaining friendships over making tough decisions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:32 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:

No question, they are neglecting that side of the ball in many ways.
-Scouting and selecting draft prospects
-Developing the rookies and young defenders
-Player growth, improvement, smarts, performance and results after 2-3 years on team
-Game planning and defensive play calling
-Defensive scheme
-Putting players best attributes to use, putting players in best spot to succeed.
-Player on field confusion and mis-communication almost weekly for 2 years now.
-Sloppy tackling, missed assignments, blown coverages, un-inspired players going thru the motions, etc.
-That last line speaks of defensive players not being coached and prepared.

Look at the PS last five playoff games that sent them home for the season and you will see 5 games that the PS gave up an average of 32 points and 370 yards.

Since the "Easing-In" ( still a shocking comment ) vs. Green Bay in the SB the PS have given up.

31 to GB. Could have been much more if not for GB dropsies.
29 to Den and Timmy Tebow who I last saw on Chip and Joannes ( Hot ) "Fixer Upper" show.
30 to Balt and Joe Flacco and a cast of offensive player that featured one prowl bowl level skill player.......and that was a 35 year old S. Smith
23 to Denver as they dragged "Weekend at Peytons" thru the game and rest of those playoffs
36 to NE and Brady last year. Could have been much more, easily 40+
45 to Jax and Bortles. Only 38 if you want to take away the Ben fumble. Only 35 if you take away the onside kick that led to a cheap FG. ONLY 35.

Let them continue to point fingers at the players, as to why this defense continues to fail and ignore the list of items above.
And they will continue to fail.

This is all Tomlins defense. 100 %.
He is a defensive coach.
He supposingly was more involved with the defense this year. Defensive meetings, play calling, etc.

Tomlin, Butler, J. Mitchell, Porter, Lake, Jerry O.......
Who is making a difference on that side of the ball?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:55 am 

StillerInCT wrote:
86n96 wrote:
Worilds absolutely fucked this team when he retired. The fact that Colbert can't draft a pass rusher to save his life doesn't help, either. Unless I'm mistaken, in 17 years, Colbert has drafted exactly 2 serviceable starters at OLB: Haggans and Woodley. That's fucking horrible. I mean, I guess you could give him credit for bringing Debo in, but that was more Harrison's agent leveraging him onto the roster because Cowher wanted another client of his. IMO, Tomlin and Colbert should both be gone. The Superbowl equity has expired.

It's hard to blame Colbert for this. Colbert has put together the best offense in the league. He also nailed the Heyward and Shazier picks. Found guys like AB, V Will, and Jesse James in the bottom rounds. The problem is and always has been our inability to coach up players on the defensive side of the ball. Particularly at OLB and in the secondary.

Clark Haggans. I'll be fair, though. Colbert is the WR whisperer. We have insane value on the outside.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:58 am 

R S wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Dupree isn't so far off of Joey Porter's first three seasons numbers, and is ahead of the pace of Gildon and Worilds. If Bud turns into a Worilds that doesn't quit the game right when he finally starts playing, that would be great. It's not impossible-- remember what Worilds looked like at this point of his career.

Good points. I'm not sure why some people are acting like Worilds was some amazing draft pick/elite rusher. The guy pretty much stunk his first three years and then had two VERY slightly above average years before he retired. The reason it was a shock was because we were very very thin at the position as it was.
This waxing poetic about Worilds is comical.

Just to be clear, I was in no way claiming Worilds to be a world beater. My point was exactly as you said - our depth was shit, and Colbert / Tomlin draft picks for immediate need are shit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:01 am 

Maybe Mike Tomlin is the WR whisperer. We keep changing WR coaches and OCs and keep drafting WR talent. Wallace Sanders AB Bryant JuJu is a pretty good run.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:09 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Dupree isn't so far off of Joey Porter's first three seasons numbers, and is ahead of the pace of Gildon and Worilds. If Bud turns into a Worilds that doesn't quit the game right when he finally starts playing, that would be great. It's not impossible-- remember what Worilds looked like at this point of his career.

Stop it man, just stop it. 3 simple words. I WAS WRONG. Now I await your totally inconsequential post from NFL LInebacker weekly or something as incongruous that states "ON Sunday 4 PM games played in a central time zone Dud Dupree was third in NFL linebackers for hurries against left handed QB's"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:01 pm 

That was actually pretty funny Stinger.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:41 pm 

I've not given up all hope on Bud. He's not Jervis. The light could come on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next