It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Patriots and penalties. Show your friends this during SB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:24 am
Posts: 2997
GreekSteel wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
if continuity counted for so much Tomlin wouldnt keep getting punked in the playoffs. BB has a system in place for a long time now sure but along with that hes a rink rat, a football junkie, cares only about winning, no drama that takes away from whats most important, winning football games. His players all refelect that as well, i mean Gronk likes to have a good time but at no time does he let that get in the way of winning, in fact most of his stupid shit happens AFTER they win, go figure!! Hes not literally creating drama for his team like our dumbass does.


Continuity and excellence both matter. There is no question that BB is a better coach than Tomlin. There's no question he's the best coach of all time for that matter.

That said, change sets you back. It's the proverbial 1 step back without any certainty that there will be 2 steps forward.



No it does not. And once you wrap your head around the fact that it is extremely unlikely that Tomlin can win a meaningful game for the Steelers in the playoffs, let alone a SB, the risk doesnt seem so great at all...to do the same thing with the same voice over and over again while not getting the desired results is insane..again Tomlin was a nobody when he was hired ...maybe the next guy is a nobody but maybe hes the next great coach..time for change..Tomlins way does not work if we re measuring success by SBs or playoff permonance in general.


If I can summarize what I think i'm reading . . . you want to A) measure success by SBs "and" B) replace a coach who has been to 2 with a coach who more than likely has never won a playoff game.

Do i have that right?

_________________
#IDrinkandIKnowThings


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriots and penalties. Show your friends this during SB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am
Posts: 9019
"Lifelongsteel"]
GreekSteel wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
if continuity counted for so much Tomlin wouldnt keep getting punked in the playoffs. BB has a system in place for a long time now sure but along with that hes a rink rat, a football junkie, cares only about winning, no drama that takes away from whats most important, winning football games. His players all refelect that as well, i mean Gronk likes to have a good time but at no time does he let that get in the way of winning, in fact most of his stupid shit happens AFTER they win, go figure!! Hes not literally creating drama for his team like our dumbass does.


Continuity and excellence both matter. There is no question that BB is a better coach than Tomlin. There's no question he's the best coach of all time for that matter.

That said, change sets you back. It's the proverbial 1 step back without any certainty that there will be 2 steps forward.



No it does not. And once you wrap your head around the fact that it is extremely unlikely that Tomlin can win a meaningful game for the Steelers in the playoffs, let alone a SB, the risk doesnt seem so great at all...to do the same thing with the same voice over and over again while not getting the desired results is insane..again Tomlin was a nobody when he was hired ...maybe the next guy is a nobody but maybe hes the next great coach..time for change..Tomlins way does not work if we re measuring success by SBs or playoff permonance in general.


If I can summarize what I think i'm reading . . . you want to A) measure success by SBs "and" B) replace a coach who has been to 2 with a coach who more than likely has never won a playoff game.

Do i have that right?[/quote]



Thats what you read from my post?? let me be more clear, i'mmeasuring success by playoff performances and SBs...the guy makes the same mistakes over and over and over..game mgmt is just too complicated for tomlin, no need to delve back into that...and spare me the 2 SBs, we have gone thru that ad nauseum on here, the more time goes by, it is clear and evident that Tomlin won with Cowhers players, coaches and schemes. So ya done with this fraud. Clearer for you now?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriots and penalties. Show your friends this during SB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 pm
Posts: 2073
[quote="Stillerz Bar]It seems to go in cycles where a team has a certain mystique and has the officiating in the favor. For a while the Ravens were getting and uneven number of DPI calls in their favor - we used to refer to the as Flacco balls since he would just heave them up 40+ yards downfield and hope for a penalty.......getting them way more often than they should have. On the flip side this year it was the Jags D beating the crap out of opposing receivers all year long with only DPI called against them all year ....

Until..........

You come up against the Pats!!

Then those calls you have been getting all year long seem to flip. Though the Rats did beat the Pats twice in the post season, they did it by running because they weren't getting the DPI calls they were used to and we all saw the Jags get called for more DPIs in one game than they had in the previous 18 despite playing the same way - both calls lead to key TDs for Tom Terrific (the 2nd was a valid DPI but still hadn't been called on them all year but the first was simply good coverage on an uncatchable ball).

A large part of the league's argument is that they have no reasons to favor the Pats. I'd say that just because I don't fully understand the why doesn't mean it isn't happening. The numbers speak for themselves. Even if BB's teams are the most disciplined ever, the disparity with other teams just can't be as wide as it is without some kind of bias. There will always be a few teams that commit more penalties than most but to think that no one else is capable of playing as clean of a game as the Pats defies logic.[/quote]

Good post. I think the disciplined argument is an easy argument to make, but a bad one on reflection. The easiest way to avoid penalties on defense is not to play aggressive with receivers. But if you don't do that, then you will be ripped to shreds. The goal is to play up to the line, but no further. Are we to believe that the Pats are so much better about playing up to that line, but no further compared to everyone else?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriots and penalties. Show your friends this during SB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 15733
COR-TEN wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
The Patriots are Red White and Blue America. They're also super white.
What are you implying with that?

That the ideal of American patriotism and American branding might be an overt or subconscious reason NE gets viewed the way it does by the league, the officials, the fans. Isn't the stereotype/cliché of Captain America/American Hero a clean-cut white guy like the typical Patriots player? In America, those good-looking, clean cut, educated, All-America type white guys get viewed very favorably-- I don't think I'm going out on a particularly long limb by pointing that out, am I? Hell, if the NFL were choosing an avatar persona, you don't think it would look an awful lot like a Patriots player in a Patriots uniform?

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriots and penalties. Show your friends this during SB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 6037
bradshaw2ben wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
The Patriots are Red White and Blue America. They're also super white.
What are you implying with that?

That the ideal of American patriotism and American branding might be an overt or subconscious reason NE gets viewed the way it does by the league, the officials, the fans. Isn't the stereotype/cliché of Captain America/American Hero a clean-cut white guy like the typical Patriots player? In America, those good-looking, clean cut, educated, All-America type white guys get viewed very favorably-- I don't think I'm going out on a particularly long limb by pointing that out, am I? Hell, if the NFL were choosing an avatar persona, you don't think it would look an awful lot like a Patriots player in a Patriots uniform?
I kinda thought that's what you meant. Just wanted to confirm. And yes. I think I agree. And add that Kraft and Brady is buddy buddy with agent orange.

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriots and penalties. Show your friends this during SB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:24 am
Posts: 2997
GreekSteel wrote:



Thats what you read from my post?? let me be more clear, i'mmeasuring success by playoff performances and SBs...the guy makes the same mistakes over and over and over..game mgmt is just too complicated for tomlin, no need to delve back into that...and spare me the 2 SBs, we have gone thru that ad nauseum on here, the more time goes by, it is clear and evident that Tomlin won with Cowhers players, coaches and schemes. So ya done with this fraud. Clearer for you now?


Yes. That's what I got from your post. You're calling for "scoreboard", but defining the scoreboard in a specific way to fit your case. The whole point of calling "scoreboard" is to peel away the subjective stuff such as "Cowher's players". When you peel away the subjective it's hard to make a case against Tomlin.

The bottom line is that you are pushing to replace a proven coach (by any metric ever created for coaches) with what would almost certainly be an unproven coach.

The thing is . . . you may be right. It might be better to shoot for another approach. I wouldn't be pissed if they did. At the same time I can't share in the hatred of Tomlin and I can't ignore the success he has achieved.

_________________
#IDrinkandIKnowThings


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriots and penalties. Show your friends this during SB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 6499
bradshaw2ben wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
The Patriots are Red White and Blue America. They're also super white.
What are you implying with that?

That the ideal of American patriotism and American branding might be an overt or subconscious reason NE gets viewed the way it does by the league, the officials, the fans. Isn't the stereotype/cliché of Captain America/American Hero a clean-cut white guy like the typical Patriots player? In America, those good-looking, clean cut, educated, All-America type white guys get viewed very favorably-- I don't think I'm going out on a particularly long limb by pointing that out, am I? Hell, if the NFL were choosing an avatar persona, you don't think it would look an awful lot like a Patriots player in a Patriots uniform?

I don’t know B2B. Speaking only for myself, I come up pretty much the opposite of what you describe. A crooked, win at all costs, rules be damned pirate organization. Sleaze oozing from the creep of an owner, to the slime ball coach, to the dumb as a sack of doorknobs QB...topped off by the club mouthpiece former player, shithead Bruschi. Nothing...nothing at all about that franchise shouts All American. Unless one considers Al Capone an All American boy...

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriots and penalties. Show your friends this during SB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 15733
Jobus Rum wrote:
I don’t know B2B. Speaking only for myself, I come up pretty much the opposite of what you describe. A crooked, win at all costs, rules be damned pirate organization. Sleaze oozing from the creep of an owner, to the slime ball coach, to the dumb as a sack of doorknobs QB...topped off by the club mouthpiece former player, shithead Bruschi. Nothing...nothing at all about that franchise shouts All American. Unless one considers Al Capone an All American boy...

Think about it the way the extremely white overwhelmingly conservative NFL ownership sees it. The Patriots have to be their idealized version of an NFL team. They are the most refined, under control of coaches, clean cut... whether we think that way or not, it's easy to imagine that the league as a whole puts them on a pedestal.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriots and penalties. Show your friends this during SB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5341
bradshaw2ben wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
The Patriots are Red White and Blue America. They're also super white.
What are you implying with that?

That the ideal of American patriotism and American branding might be an overt or subconscious reason NE gets viewed the way it does by the league, the officials, the fans. Isn't the stereotype/cliché of Captain America/American Hero a clean-cut white guy like the typical Patriots player? In America, those good-looking, clean cut, educated, All-America type white guys get viewed very favorably-- I don't think I'm going out on a particularly long limb by pointing that out, am I? Hell, if the NFL were choosing an avatar persona, you don't think it would look an awful lot like a Patriots player in a Patriots uniform?


The vast majority of Patriot players are black. 37 out of 53. is that too many white guys?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriots and penalties. Show your friends this during SB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 15733
R S wrote:
The vast majority of Patriot players are black. 37 out of 53. is that too many white guys?

Kind of amazing, if true, because that would put the Pats right at league average. I guess it's the multiple white WRs-- the NFL has only 24 overall and I think the Pats have 4.

Incidentally, the Eagles are the whitest team in the NFL this year.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], TB and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group