It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: You're the GM... would you take the deal?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:39 pm 

Not the worst idea for a trade given the amount of games Gilbert has missed this past year but I’m not sure Thomas is the same player post leg break. Still Thomas on one leg is better than mike Mitchell.

In an ideal offseason I’d sign a FA safety and keep the oline in tact. Agree with ‘95 on not attempting to fix a weakness then creating another. Couple Ram free agents I like are Lamarcus Joyner and Tremaine Johnson. Joyner a bit of a size gamble but kid excelled this year making permanent move to safety under Wade Phillips. Johnson a corner but has free safety experience.

I’m not privy to the Rams cap situation but rumor is they want to franchise Sammy Watkins and then pay record money for Aaron Donald (I taught his niece last year. Good kid. Said Aaron still huge Steelers fan). Anyway, I’m guessing Rams can’t keep both Joyner and Johnson. Either would be huge upgrade over Mitchell. I know. I know. Tombert won’t but I would. And I’d still draft a safety because Sean Davis ain’t gettin it done either.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:55 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Earl Thomas for Marcus Gilbert.

Thomas Age 28, Gilbert 29

Thomas under contract for one year at 10M. Gilbert under contract for two years at $7.3M & $6.6M

You'd have to cut Mike Mitchell and sign Hubbard to be your starter for the time being, with Feiler and Hawkins behind him.

You'd have a shot to extend Thomas, especially if the Bell contract is done.

Seattle might take this deal... Gilbert would be their best OL and Thomas wants out.

Do you pull the trigger?

OF COURSE!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:57 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Aren’t they expecting Reid to be black balled because of his protesting?

We will see. It isn’t certain that CK was blackballed. He may have just asked for too much money and wouldn’t lower his ask.

It isn’t? Because the owners didn’t release a statement saying “we did not blackball Colin”?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

naivete knows no bounds

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:03 pm 

the-other-burg wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Earl Thomas for Marcus Gilbert.

Thomas Age 28, Gilbert 29

Thomas under contract for one year at 10M. Gilbert under contract for two years at $7.3M & $6.6M

You'd have to cut Mike Mitchell and sign Hubbard to be your starter for the time being, with Feiler and Hawkins behind him.

You'd have a shot to extend Thomas, especially if the Bell contract is done.

Seattle might take this deal... Gilbert would be their best OL and Thomas wants out.

Do you pull the trigger?

I dont think I would compromise our O-line at this point in Ben's career. Hubbard is a great guy to have for depth - he becomes a starter and next man up becomes an uncertainty.

Hubbard is a Free Agent and will sign for starter dollars elsewhere if we don't sign up for starter dollars.

This trade makes sense PRECISELY BECAUSE Hubbard is a free agent and will leave if we keep Gilbert (we won't pay starter $$$ to 2 RTs).

We can trade Gilbert because we have another starter waiting in the wings

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:57 pm 

I mean, no one is arguing that Hubbard is as good as Gilbert. The question for this deal is: Is the drop off from Gilbert to Hubbard greater than the upgrade from Mitchell to Earl Thomas (or even a different FA safety)?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:55 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I mean, no one is arguing that Hubbard is as good as Gilbert. The question for this deal is: Is the drop off from Gilbert to Hubbard greater than the upgrade from Mitchell to Earl Thomas (or even a different FA safety)?

I would love for this deal to happen. Sadly, it won't be attempted or even contemplated.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:09 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Steelafan77 wrote:
I do it last week B2B. Hubbard is going to be a lot cheaper than Gilbert and he's shown he can start at RT and play just as well. The posts about upsetting a solid OLine is a bit too conservative living in your fears If You Will. Hubbard has been a part of the OLine for at least 3-4 years and has proven himself starter material. No loss with Gilbert moving on. Besides it seems to me Gilbert has become more injured as he ages. Best Of All..., Good bye Mitchell hello Thomas!

I have as you can see.... Everyone is worried about OLine continuity and other horseshit. The trade would save this team money and push an increasingly injury prone OLineman off the squad. Essentially getting rid of him while he's still worth something. Drama, we said the same about Haden. Haden in my opinion was the best Corner this team had not named Hilton. Even when he came back from his in season injury he played better than our 1st RND pick sophomore did. Thomas would immediately upgrade FS. I would still draft a safety that could play either strong or free and while he redshirts I play Thomas and Davis. When Thomas is done on the season and walks, I move Davis to FS and start the rookie at SS in 2019.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:32 am 

SteelDrama wrote:
Not the worst idea for a trade given the amount of games Gilbert has missed this past year but I’m not sure Thomas is the same player post leg break. Still Thomas on one leg is better than mike Mitchell.

In an ideal offseason I’d sign a FA safety and keep the oline in tact. Agree with ‘95 on not attempting to fix a weakness then creating another. Couple Ram free agents I like are Lamarcus Joyner and Tremaine Johnson. Joyner a bit of a size gamble but kid excelled this year making permanent move to safety under Wade Phillips. Johnson a corner but has free safety experience.

I’m not privy to the Rams cap situation but rumor is they want to franchise Sammy Watkins and then pay record money for Aaron Donald (I taught his niece last year. Good kid. Said Aaron still huge Steelers fan). Anyway, I’m guessing Rams can’t keep both Joyner and Johnson. Either would be huge upgrade over Mitchell. I know. I know. Tombert won’t but I would. And I’d still draft a safety because Sean Davis ain’t gettin it done either.

This would be my plan as well.
Let Bell walk and pay Joyner to be your new FS. Bring in a mid-level ILB to man the spot until your rookie 1st round ILB is up to speed.
Draft your RB in rd 2/3.

1. Rasean Evans ILB
2. Ronald Jones RB
3. Okoronkwo OLB
5. Tramon Moore WR
5b. Jaylen Samuels TE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:35 am 

Thomas is another fragile body....a good player but hell of an injury risk for a expected big contract....hes planning on the hold out route with Seahags

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:19 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Aren’t they expecting Reid to be black balled because of his protesting?

We will see. It isn’t certain that CK was blackballed. He may have just asked for too much money and wouldn’t lower his ask.

It isn’t? Because the owners didn’t release a statement saying “we did not blackball Colin”?

We are assuming that Colin wanted to play at the rate of cash he was being offered. He had meetings with teams. I heard some chatter that he wanted to get paid more than teams were willing. Maybe that was subterfuge, but if teams were offering CK a contract, but that contract was below CK's reserve price, then it is quite possible that CK himself elected not to play.

Jumping to he was blackballed assumes CK was willing to play at any price. That might not be true.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next