It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13794
btsc did a pretty good job breaking down an option regarding Shazier and his guaranteed salary for this season. How it may be spread out and how it can help the Steelers in the cap department. I wanted to post this in the Shazier thread but felt it inappropriate as that thread is more geared towards Shazier's health status and not his football career. That said, I feel like this is a topic worthy of discussion and hope that folks aren't offended by this thread. It still is a business and the Steelers have a lot of holes to patch up in the offseason. Shazier God Bless him he is still part of the team and this situation needs to be addressed going forward. Anyway, Discuss...

[Snip]
Quote:
.. If he doesn’t play again, [Pittsburgh would] get hit with three million in cap this year (2 million in allocated bonus and 1 million in salary), and could cut him post-June 1 next year and take the remaining six million of the bonus cap hit spread over 2019 and 2020 ($2 million in 2019 and the remaining $4 million in 2020). It wouldn’t eliminate the problem, but it would spread it out and honor our cash commitment this year.

Shazier would probably do this in a heartbeat because it nets him $9 Million in 2018 rather than $8.7 Million, and ensures him a place on the team if he makes his way back. No issue there. The Steelers would love it too, because it buys $5.7 Million of immediate cap relief for a paltry $300K, while maintaining a no-obligations grip on Shazier’s career if he manages to heal. Heck, the team would love to make it a 7 year deal if they could!

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/p ... njury-news


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 6628
I don't think money is an issue with the steelers when it comes to Shazier. They will do everything to give him what he needs whenever he needs it. Even if it's a detriment to the team.

I'm already assuming his football career is over, and will probably need assistance for the rest of his life -to what degree is unknown. I hope I'm wrong.

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:24 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16588
I have been having a detailed discussion of this situation in twitter. I am not totally convinced that the $8.7M is vested and guaranteed. The language of the rule is complex. It is not guaranteed until either the first day of the new league year (14 March) OR week 1 of the 2018 season.

I think there’s still a possibility of a settlement outside of the salary cap.

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:26 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16588
I can tell you this: if Shazier doesn’t recover and play football like Ryan Shazier in 2018, then the Steelers are fucked from a salary cap perspective. Of course there are bigger issues at play than salary cap, but it means they have no money to sign a replacement ILB veteran unless they come for league minimum.

I guess Timmons would do that.

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11752
They'll get an exemption. Non-story.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 597
Mighty Matakevich is waiting in the wings.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 1952
Part of me hopes that the Steelers don't get an exemption for Shazier from the Commish and that it forces this team to part ways with Mike Mitchell. We get $5 million in relief if we cut Mitchell, $3.125 million if we cut JJ Wilcox as well. That is $8.125 million right there. Neither one of those players is any damn good moving forward, they both showed themselves to be weaknesses and not part of the solution in the secondary.

I think this year's safeties in the draft is very deep. I don't see how a safety isn't picked in round 1 or 2. They could probably pick up a vet free agent safety for peanuts, or a vet CB converting to S prospect.

_________________
#greendot51


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 597
Pretty safe to assume they cut wilcox. I don't think Tomlin will cut Mitchell though, dey be brothas in boolsheet...


Last edited by Lynch on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13794
I think they purge themselves of Wilcox first. He is an unproven and is set to make much more money than he showed. Mitchell I think they keep after a contract renegotiation. Hate to say it but I would not at all be surprised to see Mitchell here at least 2 more season's while they figure out their draft strategy and groom his replacement. You are accurate in saying this years draft is deep at safety. Secondary period. Also ILB and WR are very deep this draft. I suspect we'll see each position drafted at some point as well. As long as they're not planning to take another long snapper...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:51 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16588
Scunge wrote:
Part of me hopes that the Steelers don't get an exemption for Shazier from the Commish and that it forces this team to part ways with Mike Mitchell. We get $5 million in relief if we cut Mitchell, $3.125 million if we cut JJ Wilcox as well. That is $8.125 million right there. Neither one of those players is any damn good moving forward, they both showed themselves to be weaknesses and not part of the solution in the secondary.

I think this year's safeties in the draft is very deep. I don't see how a safety isn't picked in round 1 or 2. They could probably pick up a vet free agent safety for peanuts, or a vet CB converting to S prospect.

I think the safeties in this class are almost all poor fits as FS. We'd get into the same cycle of issues we have now, with neither safety really cut out to be a FS and neither cut out to be a SS. If it's me, I draft at least one guy who can play single high... and there are almost none in this draft that I have seen... at least ones available after 1.27. You draft a guy who can make plays from single high and you draft a depth guy who can play some SS or dime LB... and give Davis a year to prove that he is the future.

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11752
There is no way the Steelers don't get an exemption. Neither the Steelers, nor the NFL, are going to allow a guy to get cut or an injury settlement over cap issues when the guy got paralyzed on the field during a national broadcast. That would be a PR nightmare.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:53 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16588
BTW, if Shazier's contract stands, then cutting Wilcox and Mitchell only gets the team to $5M under (they are $3M over right now. Hard to imagine making a deal with Bell AND signing a FA S or ILB that costs, well, anything. Even if Shazier's contract gets a reprieve, that still basically just covers Bell.

They 'll have to cut Wilcox, Mitchell, + restructure Haden and McDonald just to freaking operate.

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:57 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16588
and I feel the same way about coverage ILBs/Macks in this draft as I do about safety. Most of the ILBs I've seen-- even the terrific ones I've seen-- are natural bucks or SOLBs you might convert. I think I've seen 4 draftable ILBs so far that I would trust to cover the kinds of routes Shazier was covering last year, and maybe one of them is as good at it as Shazier was two years ago.

Although I would love to have an alpha ILB who plays the run like a madman and is a tone setter in hitting and tackling and play recognition... if he's a liability in coverage, then... where does that get you? We've seen that movie before and it usually ends with NE and or bullshit QBs putting up 35 plus.

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11752
The elephant in the room is the fact that maybe 28 other teams get more out of their talent than PIT does.

But that talent went 13-3 last year.....so that means keep Tomlin, apparently. I try to root for the laundry, but it PAINS me to know that Ben, Bell and AB won't have the postseason resume they deserve because of Mr. Dumbass Aviators.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:28 am
Posts: 301
My family has a lot of connections at UPMC---Shazier aint ever gonna suit up again. Wejust need to face that reality...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:11 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16588
Kodiak wrote:
The elephant in the room is the fact that maybe 28 other teams get more out of their talent than PIT does.

But that talent went 13-3 last year.....so that means keep Tomlin, apparently. I try to root for the laundry, but it PAINS me to know that Ben, Bell and AB won't have the postseason resume they deserve because of Mr. Dumbass Aviators.

So which way is it: Tomlin is poor at drafting talent and talent is the problem OR we get so little out of that great talent that we went 13-3?

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11752
bradshaw2ben wrote:
So which way is it: Tomlin is poor at drafting talent and talent is the problem OR we get so little out of that great talent that we went 13-3?


Colbert has made some great picks, but they can only carry Tomlin so far. Tomlin fails at coaching up and developing the more marginal/role players you need to go deep in the playoffs.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 7891
SteelWill wrote:
My family has a lot of connections at UPMC---Shazier aint ever gonna suit up again. Wejust need to face that reality...

I am totally okay with that. I want him to walk again.

_________________
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 1952
Funny, I heard Shazier is walking and making great progress just today.

It would not surprise me to see Shazier make a full recovery and to be put on the PUP list and then start playing midway through the 2018 season. With the breaking news today, I don't think the Steelers are going to get an exemption or do anything because there is still a chance that he makes a full recovery and plays again.

_________________
#greendot51


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 9296
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
The elephant in the room is the fact that maybe 28 other teams get more out of their talent than PIT does.

But that talent went 13-3 last year.....so that means keep Tomlin, apparently. I try to root for the laundry, but it PAINS me to know that Ben, Bell and AB won't have the postseason resume they deserve because of Mr. Dumbass Aviators.

So which way is it: Tomlin is poor at drafting talent and talent is the problem OR we get so little out of that great talent that we went 13-3?


It’s called Ben fucking Roethlisberger. Did you see some of those close games this year? I know you did.

Because, Fraudlin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:14 am
Posts: 2433
Location: Houston, TX
Orangesteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
The elephant in the room is the fact that maybe 28 other teams get more out of their talent than PIT does.

But that talent went 13-3 last year.....so that means keep Tomlin, apparently. I try to root for the laundry, but it PAINS me to know that Ben, Bell and AB won't have the postseason resume they deserve because of Mr. Dumbass Aviators.

So which way is it: Tomlin is poor at drafting talent and talent is the problem OR we get so little out of that great talent that we went 13-3?


It’s called Ben fucking Roethlisberger. Did you see some of those close games this year? I know you did.

Because, Fraudlin.


This. All our success is on Tomlin, all our poor talent on Colbert, all our drama on Ben, all our injuries on misfortune, all our discipline on the game room and everything else on the Rooneys for not instructing Tomlin better. Obviously.

_________________
R S wrote:
I'm sure she still wakes up in cold sweats and night terrors of Peyton's wrinkly ball sack pitter-pattering on her forehead.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:32 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16588
Quote:
This. All our success is on Tomlin, all our poor talent on Colbert, all our drama on Ben, all our injuries on misfortune, all our discipline on the game room and everything else on the Rooneys for not instructing Tomlin better. Obviously.

You mean, All our success is on Ben, all our poor talent on Tomlin, all our drama on selfish players and Tomlin allowing it, all our injuries on Tomlin's practice preparations, all our discipline and everything else on Tomlin and the Rooneys for hiring and keeping an incompetent Tomlin STRICTY because of the Rooney Rule and misguided loyalty/The Steelers Way.

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4860
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Quote:
This. All our success is on Tomlin, all our poor talent on Colbert, all our drama on Ben, all our injuries on misfortune, all our discipline on the game room and everything else on the Rooneys for not instructing Tomlin better. Obviously.

You mean, All our success is on Ben, all our poor talent on Tomlin, all our drama on selfish players and Tomlin allowing it, all our injuries on Tomlin's practice preparations, all our discipline and everything else on Tomlin and the Rooneys for hiring and keeping an incompetent Tomlin STRICTY because of the Rooney Rule and misguided loyalty/The Steelers Way.


Seems reasonable and well thought-out.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bradshaw2ben, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], merlin86, PittWest, Rocky Mtn Stiller, Steeledge, SteelRaptor, Stosh-67 and 52 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group