It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:02 pm 

btsc did a pretty good job breaking down an option regarding Shazier and his guaranteed salary for this season. How it may be spread out and how it can help the Steelers in the cap department. I wanted to post this in the Shazier thread but felt it inappropriate as that thread is more geared towards Shazier's health status and not his football career. That said, I feel like this is a topic worthy of discussion and hope that folks aren't offended by this thread. It still is a business and the Steelers have a lot of holes to patch up in the offseason. Shazier God Bless him he is still part of the team and this situation needs to be addressed going forward. Anyway, Discuss...

[Snip]
Quote:
.. If he doesn’t play again, [Pittsburgh would] get hit with three million in cap this year (2 million in allocated bonus and 1 million in salary), and could cut him post-June 1 next year and take the remaining six million of the bonus cap hit spread over 2019 and 2020 ($2 million in 2019 and the remaining $4 million in 2020). It wouldn’t eliminate the problem, but it would spread it out and honor our cash commitment this year.

Shazier would probably do this in a heartbeat because it nets him $9 Million in 2018 rather than $8.7 Million, and ensures him a place on the team if he makes his way back. No issue there. The Steelers would love it too, because it buys $5.7 Million of immediate cap relief for a paltry $300K, while maintaining a no-obligations grip on Shazier’s career if he manages to heal. Heck, the team would love to make it a 7 year deal if they could!

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/p ... njury-news

Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:37 pm 

I don't think money is an issue with the steelers when it comes to Shazier. They will do everything to give him what he needs whenever he needs it. Even if it's a detriment to the team.

I'm already assuming his football career is over, and will probably need assistance for the rest of his life -to what degree is unknown. I hope I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:24 pm 

I have been having a detailed discussion of this situation in twitter. I am not totally convinced that the $8.7M is vested and guaranteed. The language of the rule is complex. It is not guaranteed until either the first day of the new league year (14 March) OR week 1 of the 2018 season.

I think there’s still a possibility of a settlement outside of the salary cap.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:26 pm 

I can tell you this: if Shazier doesn’t recover and play football like Ryan Shazier in 2018, then the Steelers are fucked from a salary cap perspective. Of course there are bigger issues at play than salary cap, but it means they have no money to sign a replacement ILB veteran unless they come for league minimum.

I guess Timmons would do that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:42 pm 

They'll get an exemption. Non-story.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:45 pm 

Mighty Matakevich is waiting in the wings.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:23 pm 

Part of me hopes that the Steelers don't get an exemption for Shazier from the Commish and that it forces this team to part ways with Mike Mitchell. We get $5 million in relief if we cut Mitchell, $3.125 million if we cut JJ Wilcox as well. That is $8.125 million right there. Neither one of those players is any damn good moving forward, they both showed themselves to be weaknesses and not part of the solution in the secondary.

I think this year's safeties in the draft is very deep. I don't see how a safety isn't picked in round 1 or 2. They could probably pick up a vet free agent safety for peanuts, or a vet CB converting to S prospect.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:48 pm 

Pretty safe to assume they cut wilcox. I don't think Tomlin will cut Mitchell though, dey be brothas in boolsheet...

Last edited by Lynch on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:49 pm 

I think they purge themselves of Wilcox first. He is an unproven and is set to make much more money than he showed. Mitchell I think they keep after a contract renegotiation. Hate to say it but I would not at all be surprised to see Mitchell here at least 2 more season's while they figure out their draft strategy and groom his replacement. You are accurate in saying this years draft is deep at safety. Secondary period. Also ILB and WR are very deep this draft. I suspect we'll see each position drafted at some point as well. As long as they're not planning to take another long snapper...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:51 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Part of me hopes that the Steelers don't get an exemption for Shazier from the Commish and that it forces this team to part ways with Mike Mitchell. We get $5 million in relief if we cut Mitchell, $3.125 million if we cut JJ Wilcox as well. That is $8.125 million right there. Neither one of those players is any damn good moving forward, they both showed themselves to be weaknesses and not part of the solution in the secondary.

I think this year's safeties in the draft is very deep. I don't see how a safety isn't picked in round 1 or 2. They could probably pick up a vet free agent safety for peanuts, or a vet CB converting to S prospect.

I think the safeties in this class are almost all poor fits as FS. We'd get into the same cycle of issues we have now, with neither safety really cut out to be a FS and neither cut out to be a SS. If it's me, I draft at least one guy who can play single high... and there are almost none in this draft that I have seen... at least ones available after 1.27. You draft a guy who can make plays from single high and you draft a depth guy who can play some SS or dime LB... and give Davis a year to prove that he is the future.