It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shazier contract breakdown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:53 pm 

There is no way the Steelers don't get an exemption. Neither the Steelers, nor the NFL, are going to allow a guy to get cut or an injury settlement over cap issues when the guy got paralyzed on the field during a national broadcast. That would be a PR nightmare.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:53 pm 

BTW, if Shazier's contract stands, then cutting Wilcox and Mitchell only gets the team to $5M under (they are $3M over right now. Hard to imagine making a deal with Bell AND signing a FA S or ILB that costs, well, anything. Even if Shazier's contract gets a reprieve, that still basically just covers Bell.

They 'll have to cut Wilcox, Mitchell, + restructure Haden and McDonald just to freaking operate.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:57 pm 

and I feel the same way about coverage ILBs/Macks in this draft as I do about safety. Most of the ILBs I've seen-- even the terrific ones I've seen-- are natural bucks or SOLBs you might convert. I think I've seen 4 draftable ILBs so far that I would trust to cover the kinds of routes Shazier was covering last year, and maybe one of them is as good at it as Shazier was two years ago.

Although I would love to have an alpha ILB who plays the run like a madman and is a tone setter in hitting and tackling and play recognition... if he's a liability in coverage, then... where does that get you? We've seen that movie before and it usually ends with NE and or bullshit QBs putting up 35 plus.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:45 am 

The elephant in the room is the fact that maybe 28 other teams get more out of their talent than PIT does.

But that talent went 13-3 last year.....so that means keep Tomlin, apparently. I try to root for the laundry, but it PAINS me to know that Ben, Bell and AB won't have the postseason resume they deserve because of Mr. Dumbass Aviators.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:32 am 

My family has a lot of connections at UPMC---Shazier aint ever gonna suit up again. Wejust need to face that reality...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:11 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
The elephant in the room is the fact that maybe 28 other teams get more out of their talent than PIT does.

But that talent went 13-3 last year.....so that means keep Tomlin, apparently. I try to root for the laundry, but it PAINS me to know that Ben, Bell and AB won't have the postseason resume they deserve because of Mr. Dumbass Aviators.

So which way is it: Tomlin is poor at drafting talent and talent is the problem OR we get so little out of that great talent that we went 13-3?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:19 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
So which way is it: Tomlin is poor at drafting talent and talent is the problem OR we get so little out of that great talent that we went 13-3?

Colbert has made some great picks, but they can only carry Tomlin so far. Tomlin fails at coaching up and developing the more marginal/role players you need to go deep in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:23 pm 

SteelWill wrote:
My family has a lot of connections at UPMC---Shazier aint ever gonna suit up again. Wejust need to face that reality...

I am totally okay with that. I want him to walk again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:48 pm 

Funny, I heard Shazier is walking and making great progress just today.

It would not surprise me to see Shazier make a full recovery and to be put on the PUP list and then start playing midway through the 2018 season. With the breaking news today, I don't think the Steelers are going to get an exemption or do anything because there is still a chance that he makes a full recovery and plays again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:13 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Kodiak wrote:

It’s called Ben fucking Roethlisberger. Did you see some of those close games this year? I know you did.

Because, Fraudlin.