It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Jesse James Catch vs Ertz Catch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:24 am
Posts: 2997
Donnie Brasco wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Pretty sure metaphysical certainty is not the bar for overturning a call.

.


You're right- it says VIDEO EVIDENCE. Which there is NONE.

Again I implore you to find an angle where the ball and grass meet. You can't and no one else can.

It's not that difficult to grasp... surprising as you are an uber logician


Here's what I think happened. The ref saw the ball hit the ground but wasn't thinking about "survive the ground" rule at the time. Called TD. They then reviewed specific to the "survive the ground" rule. When they determined that James wasn't a runner and was thus subject to this asinine rule, they didn't bother to check whether the ball hit the ground as the ref had seen it.

Either that or they got lost in the moment and didn't bother to properly review the play. Or there is a big conspiracy against the wildly popular steelers in favor of the wildly unpopular Patriots.

_________________
#IDrinkandIKnowThings


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jesse James Catch vs Ertz Catch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:23 pm
Posts: 2949
The Survive The Ground Rule is a piece of horseshit and the cause of overturned catches that would have affected the outcome of big games, such as the Outlaw catch, Dez catch, and Megatron catch.

It's not a good rule and Nobody (except maybe the owners who created it?) likes it. It will be changed this off-season.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-st ... -114369943


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jesse James Catch vs Ertz Catch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:10 am
Posts: 966
Get rid of replay and call it on the field.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jesse James Catch vs Ertz Catch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 22649
Lifelongsteel wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Pretty sure metaphysical certainty is not the bar for overturning a call.

.


You're right- it says VIDEO EVIDENCE. Which there is NONE.

Again I implore you to find an angle where the ball and grass meet. You can't and no one else can.

It's not that difficult to grasp... surprising as you are an uber logician


Here's what I think happened. The ref saw the ball hit the ground but wasn't thinking about "survive the ground" rule at the time. Called TD. They then reviewed specific to the "survive the ground" rule. When they determined that James wasn't a runner and was thus subject to this asinine rule, they didn't bother to check whether the ball hit the ground as the ref had seen it.

Either that or they got lost in the moment and didn't bother to properly review the play. Or there is a big conspiracy against the wildly popular steelers in favor of the wildly unpopular Patriots.


They reviewed the play for three and a half minutes. They didn’t miss out on anything.

_________________
“Your ability to think concisely, your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jesse James Catch vs Ertz Catch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 22649
Jackie Chiles wrote:
Get rid of replay and call it on the field.


There’s nothing wrong with replay of the original intent of replay is properly understood and followed...which is to overturn obvious errors like Mel Renfro in the AFCCG.

The problem is when they study a replay for 10 minutes frame by frame looking for the tiniest thing.

_________________
“Your ability to think concisely, your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jesse James Catch vs Ertz Catch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 6500
Jackie Chiles wrote:
Get rid of replay and call it on the field.

This cannot be said enough.

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jesse James Catch vs Ertz Catch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 6837
Jobus Rum wrote:
Jackie Chiles wrote:
Get rid of replay and call it on the field.

This cannot be said enough.

This cannot be argued with enough. As Jeemie said, there should be replay for the most egregious of errors, we just need to get rid of the nit picking.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jesse James Catch vs Ertz Catch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:05 pm
Posts: 212
franco32 wrote:
You can't GUESS it touched grass because you think James fingers are too small. You can't be 99.9% sure.


in·dis·put·a·ble

unable to be challenged or denied

Image

Is it not unable to be challenged or denied that human fingers are not long enough to prevent the bottom third of the ball from contacting the ground? I dont think you need to see the ball touchng the ground in this situation if you use common sense... In my opinion it is indisputable that the ball touched the ground.

I think we all know the ball touched the ground.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jesse James Catch vs Ertz Catch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:54 pm
Posts: 3653
You can absolutely challenge the assertion that the ball hit the ground. You have to see pigskin touch grass -- without fingers underneath -- otherwise you can't overturn it. It's that simple. If you don't think that is a good standard, then take it up with the NFL.

By the way, I think it is more likely than not that the ball DID hit the ground. But, based on the video, I can't say that with absolute certainty. Call should have stood. If not, why have a rule book?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jesse James Catch vs Ertz Catch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 22649
franco32 wrote:
You can absolutely challenge the assertion that the ball hit the ground. You have to see pigskin touch grass -- without fingers underneath -- otherwise you can't overturn it. It's that simple. If you don't think that is a good standard, then take it up with the NFL.

By the way, I think it is more likely than not that the ball DID hit the ground. But, based on the video, I can't say that with absolute certainty. Call should have stood. If not, why have a rule book?


Dude...the tip of the football touched the ground...was clear from the video.

And unless Jesse James has hugely deformed ring and pinky fingers, he wasn’t holding it.

Just stop it, OK?

_________________
“Your ability to think concisely, your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group