It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jesse James Catch was a TD as was Ertz Catch
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:14 am 

Zeke5123 wrote:
It is stupid mostly due to your contributions...

Says the guy who was already proven wrong and is now refusing to admit it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:19 am 

fortythree wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:

You don't understand words. Like, for example the word "proven" or "wrong." It likely explains why you couldn't follow the words posted above. One again, feel free to make a cogent argument to the contrary, but making good arguments is outside your ability. Being snarky, on the other hand...

Post subject: Re: Jesse James Catch vs Ertz Catch
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:25 am 

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/2/4/1 ... super-bowl

Don’t agree, but thought I’d post to jar the memory of the video.

Post subject: Re: Jesse James was more of a TD than Ertz
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:26 am 

Jeemie wrote:
Ertz took three steps.

James didn’t.

They haven’t counted what James did as a football move since the rule was changed.

That's exactly right.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:27 am 

fortythree wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:

Listening to a former NFL Receiver (Colinsworth) and QB (Romo) plus Al Michaels who has watched more sporting events than maybe anyone get confused about how a catch is called should tell you that really nothing is “proven”.

That’s why there continues to be a debate...

FUCK THE NFL

Post subject: Re: Jesse James was more of a TD than Ertz
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:08 am 

Zeke5123 wrote:
Jackie Chiles wrote:
Louis Lipps Service wrote:

Not at all. James was going down as he made the catch, which is exactly the case the rule was written for.

Ertz was freely running after the catch.

Yes. As dumb as the rule is James was not a runner and did not survive the ground as a catch. Ertz was a runner plain and simple.

Once again, far from clear that he was not a runner. The rule for becoming a runner is:

Quote:
A player has the ball long enough to become a runner when, after his second foot is on the ground, he is capable of avoiding or warding off impending contact of an opponent, tucking the ball away, turning up field, or taking additional steps

He both tucked and turned up field. Therefore, James completed this part of this catch rule.

The only thing added by going to the ground is, that in addition to the above, the receiver going to the ground

Quote:
... must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

The initial contact was James' knee. James then pushed off that knee as he tried to go into the EZ. Thus, James survived initial contact.

Remember -- the replay booth must determine that James either did not (i) tuck it or turn up field OR (ii) not maintain control of the ball after his initial contact with the ground BASED ON IRREFUTABLE EVIDENCE. I don't see how that was satisfied in the James' catch.

Zeke, you're completely misinterpreting this and missing the point.

To be considered a "runner" you actually have to be taking steps. The key part of the bolded above that you quoted is "taking additional steps." You can only take additional steps if you've taken steps to begin with. That is the intent. Catch, one step, two step, and then making what we call a football move (tucking the ball away, warding off a defender, turning upfield, or taking additional steps). You do that, you're a runner.

James took zero steps. He was falling to the ground onto his knees as he was attempting to make the catch. He was literally falling to the ground while the ball was still in the air. It doesn't matter if he tried to tuck it as he was going to the ground, or was lunging out with the football, by rule, he was going to the ground. He was not a runner. As such, he had to maintain control of the ball through the contact with the ground. He didn't control it, it hit the ground, it was not a catch by NFL rule. End of story.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:28 am 

ChippedHamSandwich wrote:
You guys seem to have all the answers when it comes to this.

You should apply with the NFL offices tomorrow morning, they could use some brainiacs.

Those two plays are incredibly similar, James even brought the ball into his chest before he extended.

not really similar. James never ran with the ball.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:38 am 

I’ll never forgive JJ for that play. He wasn’t touched. The doofus tripped over his own feet and still lost control of the ball going over the goal line in a must win game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:42 am 

I started this thread because I'm a proud Homer sometimes. I grew up in the 70s and 80s when Jesse James Catch was undisputed, Before they started fucking with the rules. I think there is an argument to be made on both sides of Jesse James Catch, with the current rules. Also, I thought Ertz did not have as solid a hold on the ball as James did through the catch.

Whichever side you fall on, most of us agree that the rules about what make a Catch are fucked up. Roger Goodell himself talked directly about the Jesse James Catch recently:

Here's the full article:
https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-st ... -114369943

Last edited by Stallworth16 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:47 am 

Didnt read the entire thread, i thought it was obvious live..Ertz easily established himself as a runner, then dove and broke the plane while JJ the idiot didnt establish himself as a runner..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next